Thai-Ness

Thai-Ness .... I really love this buzzword, and implies to me uniqueness, diversity and individuality which i'm quite proud of. Unfortunately my boyfriend of many years has never used this buzzword, along with his other farang friends, which is a pity. So i'll have to be content with seeing reference to it on this notice board where it is used extensively.

Unfortunately you were unlucky enough not to have been born in Thailand, or you would fully understand it is the quality or state of simply being Thai

with it's uniqueness, diversity and individuality. Where I like this buzzword, in it's postive sence, you prefer to use where possible in a negative.

I think that rather depends on where you're looking from. I certainly don't consider myself unlucky being English, though I'm not always proud of it.

I don't see things through rose tinted glasses and can accept faults and failings, of myself, my country and those who run/rule it. Perhaps that's the opposite of Thai-ness.

It is funny. Just now in the elevator of my building had a conversation with a cute nurse.

Me: What hospital do you work at .

She: ..... hospital

Me: Wow that is expensive

She: But we are expensive that is why we are good

Me: In my country you can go to free hospitals

She: Then they can never be good. How can a hospital be good if it is cheap.

This to me personifies Thainess ............ inane greediness ........... culturally ingrained stupidity (because it is cheap it cannot be good)

Which is why a good Thai repair person is scarce. Which is why Thailand has so many problems when it comes to safety.

" What hospital do you work at , wow that is expensive, In my country you can go to free hospitals "

I assume she got out at the next floor .........

" because it is cheap it cannot be good "

Generally more times than not I think that's true, but of course this is Thai-Ness, and not your way of seeing things, but not mine. But that does not make you the more clever ....

" Hehehe, but you lied, you should have said the rich people help pay so the poor people can go to hospital for free."

Hopefully not in the United Kingdom, my boyfriend has told me the horror stories of the waiting times just to see a doctor at a hospital, sometimes 4 to 8 hours. Emergency cases left in corridors through lack of beds .... anyway back to how bad Thailand is and Thai-Ness

Unfortunately you were unlucky enough not to have been born in Thailand, or you would fully understand it is the quality or state of simply being Thai

with it's uniqueness, diversity and individuality. Where I like this buzzword, in it's postive sence, you prefer to use where possible in a negative.

A perfect example of Thainess.

• Like 1