Thai-Ness

" In my country you can go to free hospitals "

We are obviously not living in the same reality, .....

My frail elderly father last year spent a week in a modern goverment hospital, contary to what you might think with excellent care which was entirely free. My boyfriend and myself visited him, and he commented it was very similar to any free hospital in the United Kingdom. He explained you can of course have private medical which you pay in addtion and have a private room, with flowers and pink curtains, much the same as anywhere ...

This will be of no interest to board members, who only want to find the negative aspect of Thai-Ness ..

Unconnected with the hospital above ..... my father and his family many years ago when I was younger, donated land free to the goverment. So a hospital could be built on the land and in graitute our family name is on the entrance and remains to this day.

Sorry to bore you, with some postive aspects about Thai people ........

Perhaps you might want to know what Thai-Ness is from a real farangs perspective, who understands perhaps more about the country he lives in ...

This I heard quite by accident recently, a farang I have known for many years, it turns out has been going to a local orphange every month, with clothes food and money, without fuss or glory for himself ...

That's Thai-Ness .... uniqueness, diversity and individuality I love this buzzword, I could give more examples

Thai-Ness .... I really love this buzzword, and implies to me uniqueness, diversity and individuality which i'm quite proud of. Unfortunately my boyfriend of many years has never used this buzzword, along with his other farang friends, which is a pity. So i'll have to be content with seeing reference to it on this notice board where it is used extensively.

So much fun...

So I agree with you, that Thai-Ness is a positive moniker, when viewed from a Thai perspective. A bit like when NZ folk, describe themselves as Kiwis.

But!

The reason so many non-Thais regard Thai-Ness, as a negative descriptor is this:

When ever, or very commonly, when a Thai is backed into a corner, over an issue that demonstrates negative performance by a Thai or Thais, like greed or incompetence, dishonesty or illogic, the defence seems to be 'Thai-Ness'. With a rider, that foreigners can never understand said Thai-Ness.

Well I've got news for you.

Thais are Homo Sapiens, which means that you are the same as me.

The only difference from a physical point of view is that over the centuries, my line has been selected to be big and strong and capable of rowing long boats across the North Atlantic in very harsh conditions, not to mention doing battle when arriving and a bit of rape and pillage afterwards (Vikings).

Your lot, have had a bunch of different selection processes in play, some of which seem to have been selecting the women folk for beauty, by powerful rulers, for which many Farang are eternally grateful.

But essentially we are not different. I know many Thai kids, born in NZ, grown up in NZ that demonstrate none of the Thai-Ness you love so avidly, indeed they are just Kiwis.

I am sure that some Farangs born and raised in Thailand will demonstrate Thai-Ness.

So it is Nurture, not Nature that is in play.

Ergo, Thais, like everyone else, just want to feel special, like the 14 year old girl who has convinced herself she is a princess/movie star/pop diva.

The assertion that non-Thais will never understand Thai-Ness is a falsehood, we do understand. And when Thai-Ness is used as a shield for behaviour or thinking that in the rest of the world would be derided, we laugh and deride.

BTW it's not my fault, if your women weren't so beautiful I would have never come to LOS in the first place, and if I'd never come to LOS, I'd never have formed these opinions.

Tee hee...

• Like 2

Thainess is the best word to describe all negative attributes of Thai people and Thailand LOL

For Missy (and others), "Thainess" is a positive.

For Waerth (and others), let's change the word a bit to "ThaiMess"

Agree with Coss, Thainess is something that is derived from the culture. It can be good or bad, I would say, it is what it is.

• Like 1