Bank account as tourist

Gentlemen, for the future I am planning to spend some more time in the kingdom although within the 30 days timeframe. Shall not apply for any kind of visa. Nonetheless a local bank account would be an advantage. Contacted an outfit called Siamlegal and got the message without visa of some variety no chance, government does not support tourist bank accounts. Because I am a supporter of the theory that any long fence has a hole somewhere I kept researching and found this :https://unionspace.co.th/open-personal-bank-account.php.

These good people seem to care for anything that a foreigner might want and claim to be able opening an account somewhere as long as you pay them 28000 baht. Would not worry me and therefore I rang them today but the lady on the phone did not speak English and did furthermore not sound very Thai to be honest. There is no way I would pay these people one Satang before I could look at my newly established account but I would be interested in your opinion looking at this establishment as it presents itself online.

It has been a couple of decades or more since I was opening Bank accounts on 30 exemption stamps / tourist visas but back then it was easier to open an account in Silom / Sukhumvit, the tourist areas, than say Rama III. It also depends on the cashier, some will open an account others won’t, a branch may open an account on Tuesday but not Wednesday all hit and miss.

I did find This Article which seems to indicate that SCB are more likely to be accommodating to those without non imm visas 

One thing which has always struck me as weird is Paradox, To obtain a retirement or marriage visa you need to show funds in a Thai Bank Account, to open a Thai Bank Account you need a Visa. With that in mind, being the quality tourist which you are, you might consider mentioning “I need to open an account so I can apply for a retirement visa”if they resist in any way.

Good Luck

BB, 

I had similar issues. On the advice of a stranger on the internet, I contacted a service in  Pattaya that helped me open a bank account as well as obtain a driver’s license. The fees were, to me, reasonable, and saved a lot of time. Do a google for Mot’s services and see what they say. The fees are posted and there was no hidden Bullshit, everything up front. Mot’s partner is a Brit, very good guy as well. 

OH, thank you a lot for your advice. I shall contact them as soon as I recover from a bottle of German Rosé. There seem indeed to be holes in the fence as I said before.

Although, at this very moment I have to revitalise an ages old issue concerning the quality of aeroplanes. You, Old Hippie, many years ago were complaining about Airbus producing planes that did not meet standards which you as a qualified tecnician in this field would expect from a flying unit carrying passengers, other than Boeing you said. Please enlighten us about your latest feelings.

Sorry about bringing this up but like an elephant I am treasuring various posts from the old days like from this man Coss praising Patpong bargirls as very very elegant. At least I think it was Coss. And there was a decent guy called Chicagodave, well the good old days. Wildalaska, if still alive a true Trump-supporter I am sure. I am not.

10 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

had similar

OH,

I don’t understand how you had “similar issues” you are married, just take  Kor Ror 2 (Marriage Registration) and Kor Ror 3 (Marriage Certificate) to the bank with you and that’s it.