Diary of an ex-bg

think_too_mut

We have a problem here, though.........I DON'T WANT TO BE SAVED!!!!!. I am happy to be a pagen demigod. My fear is that I might start understanding GTG's posts (just kidding here, GTG...I KNOW you have a sense of humor), and start to seek her guidance.

I'll stop here while I'm ahead (or behind). Who can really tell? smile.gif

HT

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on you guys why are you taking GTG?s comments so personally and so seriously. After all when it?s all said and done it is really only mild criticism or the questioning of a behaviour that surely would at least harshly criticised by most people in our own society. GTG?s comments and questions over a period of time should give an insight into how a ?normal? Thai might view these relationships and also into what Thais think. Isn?t this a type of question we often hear on these boards? This forum is probably one of the few forums where we are able to discuss this kind of behaviour and what an opportunity to be able to discuss it with Thai girl. Is it that much of problem that she doesn?t agree with much of our behaviour or that Thai girls have chosen to work as prostitutes.

I think these heated discussions can be really interesting and helpful, try to keep your cool guys and just run with it. There is no value in getting all upset and wanting to close the thread, ban GTG etc.

Let?s face it, what kind of response would you get declaring openly that you?ve taken up with a b/g in your home town. What would most mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters say? This kind of behaviour, especially that leading up to and including taking up with a Thai bargirl, is considered unacceptable, in any society, that?s why we don?t talk about it, or admit to it openly. To talk about it would invite certain criticism.

I would say a large percentage of guys who partake in the bar scene are married or have girlfriends back home or at some point in their bar experiences have had other relationships. Amongst close friends we talk about this aspect, why not here? Especially considering the anonymity this forum offers. In this forum I rarely see anybody admit to having a wife or g/f at home, but when I talk to guys in bars etc they often admit to it. Guys in this forum usually only admit to two timing bargirls.

I would have thought the relationships section of this board would be the perfect place to have these discussions. The explanations and experiences offered are invaluable to any body thinking taking up with a b/g. All of us have fallen for a b/g at some time and weighed up the possibilities, someone else?s experience can be really helpful.

This discussion goes the way of so many discussions in the area of social science and that is the disconnect between looking at situations from our individual, subjective viewpoint vs. looking at them from a social science perspective. GTG has worked hard personally and achieved something and can't see why others don't do the same. The punters here look at the social situation of a large class of poor, Isaan girls and recognize, correctly, that the class as a whole cannot move up in society in the same way.

I often think of these points of view with the analogy to an intersection that does not have traffic lights. Now, as an individual, can I expect to get through that intersection without an accident if I am very careful? Sure, that's a reasonable expectation. However, if I am a tow truck operator I know that that dangerous intersection is certainly going to bring me business.

So it is with human society. It is not good science to take one exceptional example and extrapolate out to a population although we human beings do this all the time. Here in the States one hears this all the time about black Americans. If one of them is conspicuously successful it is held as an example to refute the notion that the group as a whole is held back by various kinds of discrimination. However, a few counter-examples do not make a genuine refutation of large-scale social forces. For the case of Thailand, although an individual Isaan bar girl might show exceptional drive and get herself educated, get a good job, etc. the problem in Isaan is not the lack of education, but the lack of opportunity, i.e. money. If all young people in Isaan got a complete education there wouldn't be any more money there so no one would be any richer. On the other hand if oil were discovered in Isaan and the benefits distributed somewhat evenly, then Isaan prostitutes would become rare. In sum, it is not fair to blame people for not being exceptional. Most of us, most of the time are subject to the large social and economic forces at work howevermuch we imagine otherwise.

Khun Pad Thai

Hi GTG:

Do you know the slang; "You go girl!" or "Got your back"?

(I'm afraid if they were directly translated from Thai they would be construed as insults but they're compliments).

It means: Keep up the good work. I support you.

Most of us here are self-professed addicts here and, to steal popular psychological self-help terms, seem to be in search of others to 'enable' and support their behavior and decisions. You, however, provide the necessary 'tough love' and alternate viewpoint. I admire and appreciate how you unabashedly sashimi posters looking to be stroked from the guys.

Guest lazyphil

<<I admire and appreciate how you unabashedly sashimi posters looking to be stroked from the guys>>....

....Excuse my paranoia! But I don't need any guy or gal (except one, girl that is!) to stroke me!

Archived