Diary of an ex-bg

think_too_mut

I asked

"Is it me or is it me? I need to know."

And khunsanuk said

>Aren't we mature again today....

Is it a maturity issue? I think not. Other posters also acted like their male hormone is boiling and out of control. I think may be because of my name that made you think I'm young and immature? Well, because I disagree with someone on the board makes me immature?

GTG

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTG,

The point is that your question "Is it me or is it me? I need to know." was immature.

KS answered that as it is not really contributing to the thread. Involving male hormones or assuming anything about you is not the point.

Just move on to the subject of the thread, ok ?

Cheers !

Long Gun,

Your wife is an ex bg as well. Ummm..interesting ! So, I know your incentive of replying my post. smile.gif

>But that is a big difference, GTG, and I think that what frustrates a lot of people about the Thai structure is that it is so inflexible,

I knew that. If HIGH THAIED said Thailand is arelatively rigid or inflexible class structured society, I wouldn't have argued one bit.

>you don?t seem to recognize how fortunate you were that they did work so hard.

With all my story I told you and you still said that? Increadible ! Of course I know I'm fortunate because my parents worked hard and they chose their path well.

>I am sorry, GTG, but you are totally out of order here. You are guilty of stereotyping of the worst kind. You have no idea of what lay behind the decision that THIS girl made to take on the work that she did, and what else she had tried before. Sure, money was probably a consideration but how dare you presume to know exactly what SHE was thinking.

OK, my mistake. Next time I will say, "But I think she chose to be a bg because of the money., instead of " But she chose to be a bg because of the money." Is that good enough, teacher? (I'm not making fun of you here, I really think you are my English teacher.)

>You have no idea of what other pressures were being brought to bear upon her, or anyone else.

Sorry, I have some from this board and somewhere else.

>The second part refers to your tendency to sound like you are talking down to people from a position of moral superiority.

What's wrong with that? Having higher moral is wrong nowdays? Or only for this board? :p

>Nobody is saying that you have had it all easy but you open yourself to ridicule here when you compare your hardship with that of the average Issan farmgirl. 'almost had to leave my school', eh!?!

Yes, as I said my background is not THAT poor. Poor is relative. All my friends are richer than I am. So, maybe I should become a bg to be able to go out and have fun the way my friends are doing? I choose not to, ok? I think Money IS their absolute incentive for becoming a bg.

>This is exactly what I meant earlier about your inability to accept people trying to make something better,trying to improve their life after they have made a decision they may have come to regret.

Why do I have to accept? You can't change me and I can't or won't change your thinking. If one of us could, this board will bore us to death with the same opinions in every thread.

After all you can't because your wife is an ex bg and I know that it's hard for you to swallow that fact that your wife who also the mother of your lovely children had a choice of profession other than being a bg.

The above paragraph addresses to everyone who are in the same situation as LG, TTM, and Thalenoi.

I know I've been talking things you don't want to hear. Sorry, but some one has to do it. And unfortunately, it is me. frown.gif

GTG. (The Preacher)

think_too_mut

I said: >Sorry, I was talking about TTM's gf. She's got 9 years education and should be able to get that kind of job. I'm not in an ivory tower, you know.

TTM said> A fact:

she came to BKK with 6 years of school and did (completed) 7,8 and 9 by April 2001.

She did not stop there but continued for full 12 years cerificate that is due in April 2003.

Sorry , my fault. I thought she'd got 9 yrs when you first saw her as a bg.

>Fortunatelly, she does not give a f*** what people like you think.

Good for her. I think she'd rather give a f** (or two) with you.

BTW, TTM, you haven't answered my questions in my earlier post ! Your ntention or just don't want to say the 'naked truth'.??????

tongue.gif

GTG

GTG,

Did you understand Long Guns point, he specifically stated:

"You have no idea of what other pressures were being brought to bear upon her, or anyone else. "

You Responded:

"Sorry, I have some from this board and somewhere else."

My question and Long Guns point, did you actually speak to TTM's girl?? If you did not then you only know generic information and not case specific.

Get off your high horse and start listening to people rather than preaching!!!!! BTW, most people and yourself included don't like to be preached at....

Sanukboot.

GTG,

"Good for her. I think she'd rather give a f** (or two) with you. "

Very crass (sp!?...coarse) statement!!!!

Sanukboot.

There are many levels in US society where your wealth will not gain you access

----------------------------------

wrong terminology. Wealth and power from it does not a class, make.Well, except in case of undescript middle-class, but that's an economis status that does not entail any power itself, save spending money i guess. I cannot be oblivious to the concept, coming from France, where there is a long history of class labeling and class warfare, until the last mid-century, when things changed "a la americaine". English is english, thailand again has 3 or 4 different proper languages according to your class or background. Nothing of the sort in France or USA. I hear England still stands by a cerain class system due to accents sometimes, but the main point of a class system is that there is your place in society as your background/roots put you there. The people you talk about having exclusivity of a certain club or practice , lose any status outside of it, no special recognition, except the usual attraction towards money and power, from other individuals (not other classes). It's a clique, not a class. Basically, they paid for it, nothing to do with pre-established status. Etc....

wrong terminology. Wealth and power from it does not a class, make.

[color:purple] I am not using the wrong terminology because I am stating that wealth does not neccessarily give you access to certain social classes.

class: A social stratum whose members share certain economic, social, or cultural characteristics

I think you are referring to class in the model based off of the European feudal system or in the Indian caste system.

To say the States does not have a class system is purely delusional. You would be surprised at the networks created and nurtured around attending certain schools, marrying into certain families, living in certain communities and socializing with certain people. These are not "cliques" in the sense that you infer, nor can you neccessarily buy into it. Maybe you might need to hang out on the New York socialite circle to get an idea or a sample of a class system. Like I said before many are oblivious, but to think that the States is immune to a class structure is ignorance. color=purple>

GoodThaigirl,

You state elsewhere that you are university educated and obviously you are a person of considerable intelligence. That is why I find your debating technique so amazing, because it is in no way academical. Instead of sticking to the facts you are constantly making assumptions based on what other people write, then you turn it around and use it to attack them. A few examples:

Think_too_mut said that his gf has a very tight schedule to get to all of her classes. What?s your reaction? You just say in reply to a post made by mad max: ?If she's not on time +/- 10 mins her financial assistant might go down the drain. Very loving bf/potential hubbie indeed. Yeh, it's the price she's willing to pay , I guess.?

Now where did think_too_mut tell you that he made her do that? For all we know she chose this schedule herself, but you are using it to put think_too_mut down. Very unsympathetic indeed.

You did the same with Longgun after that. You ASSUMED that he replied to you on the basis that he is married to an ex bg., because this is what you said: ?Your wife is an ex bg as well. Ummm..interesting ! So, I know your incentive of replying my post.?

You are using that same trick again when later on you say to Longgun that ?it's hard for you to swallow that fact that your wife who also the mother of your lovely children had a choice of profession other than being a bg.?

Now where did you get that idea? Not from Longgun, it?s all in your head. Just because you have some background info on somebody doesn?t make you an expert on what they think. That is very condescending. Please, when you start a discussion stick to the facts and don?t talk down to other people. You admit yourself that you don?t like people patronizing you. Being condescending is patronizing behaviour in itself, so you know how irritating that is.

One other point. You agreed that Thailand is ?a relatively rigid or inflexible class structured society.? It is people like you that make it so, GoodThaiGirl. You do so by not accepting (your very own words!) and thus not appreciating the fact that a former BG tries to educate herself and to move on to better things in life. You might be a GoodThaiGirl, but if you were more forgiving towards other people and the mistakes they make you could be a Better Thai Girl.

Cheers,

Soongmak

Archived