Stickman Lite Monday 26th

buffalo_bill

Barring unforeseen circumstances today is Monday.

Sitting with 12 expat-friends in a bar last night we were asking ourselves what Thailand really has changed in us over a certain though unspecified period of time. Heated discussion til the early hours of the next morning led to :? nothing ? , while others opted for ?everything ? and a smaller group for "so so, well.... ". This shows again that I did not fail in suspecting what I thought it would come out to. There is something about Thailand which we as foreigners have enormous difficulties in dealing with.

- Still I have some calendars left. Bearing in mind it is almost September your support is appreciated.

- I got this from a reader : Dear Mr. Stickman, I spent my summer holidays in Pattaya and fell in love with a beautiful young lady. I know many of them are hardened birds of the night but this one was truely different. She did never ask for money but I did send her some. So far in the region of close to 12000 US dolllars. . We are in contact by e-mail and now comes what worries me so much : she is requesting more money because she says she is pregnant from me. I am from New Zealand .May I please ask for your immediate advice what to do next, last time I have seen her was about 11 months ago.

I answered as follows : ? You are in a difficult situation . There is more to a pregnancy than money and birth. As soon as the baby is there, a DNA test should be in order. Her not specifically asking for money should not be overrated because you seem to already send her some."

- Cascade Bar , 2nd floor NEP apppears to be closed again after it had probably never opened. One starts to wonder in which direction the nightlife business is going these days.

- The whole concept of travelling abroad for having sex with local women needs to be put under scrutiny.

- Regarding last week?s photo I am unable to present a first prize because I cannot remember where it could have been taken. It shows a tall white building in urban surroundings and two people with a car in the foreground. It reminds me of uncle Theodore's Austin Cambridge but I am not sure.

Thanks go out this week to Whosyourdaddy and Alholk.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick, I'm getting a bit confused by your column. This week you spend the first half saying how you disapprove of Thailands "naughty nightlife" and how prostitution sickens you, and explaining how wrong it all is. The second half is full of reports and comments on the bars in Bangkok, none appearing to be of a condemning nature. It would be easy to see those as endorsements or promotions of the aforesaid naughty nightlife and are certainly of genuine interest to a sexpat/tourist. I cant help thinking this is a bit hypocritical.

I hope you take this the right way, it is not intended as a flame, hopefully as constructive criticism.

I think I am beginning to see a trend I have seen in other expats, including myself, who have been here for awhile. We love Thais and Thailand, but we begin to see that something is seriously amiss in the LOS.

It goes far beyond BGs.

How true. After one has been here for awhile one notices there are important fundamental social and ethical issues which arise that are intrinsically linked to aspects of their own cultural system and national identity. Of course, the same could be said of the US and many other countries as well. But it is food for thought and thinkng is what keeps us connected on a sensient human level....

Archived