Stickman Lite Monday 26th

buffalo_bill

"Isn't it? No offence, Stickman, but I think this may be wishful thinking, since what is a typical Nanaplaza.Com reader"

I really disagree here. do a search on yahoo under "thailand teaching" and stickman comes on the first page just behind the top site ajarn.com, do the same search for? thailand night life" and you will not see a link to stickman.

Many of the readers are people looking to come and teach in Asia. A few friends arrived here this week looking for teaching jobs and got there info mainly from ajarn and stickman.com. The knew very little of the nightlife section and really did not do any research on the subject.

For those of you who are familar with the backpackers scene will know that lonelyplanet.com is the top site on the subject.. Stickman's site is constantly being promoted by fellow travellers and guess what... very little sex tourist backpackers are looking for whoring info.

I really do believe there are more than just sexpats sex tourists reading the info on the site.. It is only about 1/4 of the content of the site.. I am sure people are reading the other 3/4 of the site (travel, teaching, expat living, interviews etc)

"How can you justify running a website promoting prostitution and even profiting from it financially (DollHouse banner?)?"

Compare the dollhouse banner to the TEFL International banner which has been around alot longer than the Dollhouse banner. I am sure stick appreciates the support of the dollhouse but other banners will bring in additional revenue.

On final note... EVOLUTION is a beautiful thing.. You either evolve or get left with the dinosaurs. keep evolving stick , keep evolving.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stick,

I also think you are getting carried away in your column with too much editorial and "how i feel" ramblings. Save those discussions for your close friends or girlfriend. I want to hear more news about Bangkok and Thailand. If you don't feel like reporting on the prostitution scene there are lots of other things to write about.

best regard,

sanukdee

Guest lazyphil

<<If you don't feel like reporting on the prostitution scene there are lots of other things to write about>>

I do get the feeling he has a bee in his bonnet over this. Perhaps he needs a spell back in his home country. Come back to los refreshed?

Hi,

"do a search on yahoo under "thailand teaching" and stickman comes on the first page just behind the top site ajarn.com, do the same search for? thailand night life" and you will not see a link to stickman."

I did not see him appear for either, however adding the worth 'naughty' (i.e. searching for 'bangkok naughty nightlife') results in a number 1 position for his site.

"Compare the dollhouse banner to the TEFL International banner which has been around alot longer than the Dollhouse banner. I am sure stick appreciates the support of the dollhouse but other banners will bring in additional revenue."

This is not the point. The point is that he does have a banner on the site for a company that promotes prostitution. He is therefore financially benefitting from the postitution he despises so much.

The fact that he has other banners on the site is utterly irrelevant.

If he really felt that strongly about this issue (and I am sure he does) then why is the Dollhouse banner still there? Especially since you say he has others supporting the site.

Sanuk!

Stick,

I'm certainly nobody to tell you what to do. I've read your site many times, although unfortunately years after I moved back home. I've always thought you have provided some of the most insightful outlooks on the Thai nightlife scene. Trink, currently, has nothing on you.

But now you have come to a fork in the road. And as the poem goes do you take the road less traveled? Up to you. I will neither praise you for enlightenment nor condemn you for hypocrisy. I simply think it's time to make a decision. Do you continue to promote Stickman's Guide to Nightlife or do you fade away? Or, do you become an advocate for the rights of Thai sex workers? I think the bottom line is that for you to continue with your site, given your current stance, it ruins your credibility. Not for people like myself, but for new readers who believe that there is something of a release in the sanuk scene. People for whom the bright lights and bar touts are a new experience.

Best of luck. I'm sorry I still have yet to buy you a beer, regardless of your stance on the scene.

It seems as if I'm in the minority, but I enjoy your column as much now as when you first started writing. Maybe more.

Your transformation is most interesting. How your views have been evolving over time. Perhaps similar to what most expats experience. Certainly my views have changed over the past 15 years, since I first started in Asia, and they are continuing to change and I see and feel new experiences.

The site still has a lot of sanuk information in it for those who want it.

And the Reader's submissions are usually interesting.

As for hypocracy, I don't see that to a great extent. What I see are feelings that are a bit ambilavent, or maybe in conflict, as most issues are not simply black versus white. Similar to what I feel at times. For example, is prostitution bad? Not an easy answer by any means.

Bottom line is that I enjoy your "ramblings", as you put it.

Stick, do you keep track of the number of hits on your site? If so, what trends do you see? Are readers becoming less interested?

Sanukdee,

"Exploit" may not be the best description. What I meant to say is that Stickman spends a lot of time blasting prostitutes for "preying" on the hapless sexpat e.g., lying and extracting maximum dollar. I see prostitution in the LOS as a game whereby we exploit the lasses and it's fair game for them to try and get as much as possible from us. It's just wrong to blast prostitutes for taking advantage of us while we are here having our way with them.

JX

And, I stand behind my point that Stick is promoting prostitution. It's not just the Dollhouse banner. By simply reporting on the nightlife scene in the way that he does, this is a form of support. His columns aren't just edtorials on prostitution, they tell us what's happening in the bar scene. What use us that to anyone but the sexpats? Same for the Naughty Nightlife page.

Stick, if you want to report on the nightlife schene, keep your holier-than-thou rhetoric out of the copy.

JX

Archived