Thailands reputation

liquidflux

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>Show me any other country where it's believed that 70-90% of the male population lost their virginity to a prostitute.

Who believes this?Not me. Maybe many years ago?

>>Show me any other capitol city that has more & bigger red light districts than Bangkok or where you'll find a whore house (whether it'll be a massage parlour or a 'dirty' karaoke joint) in almost any other neighbourhood

Easy. Taipei used to have a lot more prostitution than Bangkok until about 5 years ago. Taipei has been "cleaned up", but the rest of Taiwan got as much prostitution as you might want.

Says iuytrede:

Easy. Taipei used to have a lot more prostitution than Bangkok until about 5 years ago. Taipei has been "cleaned up", but the rest of Taiwan got as much prostitution as you might want.

I remember in the mid 1990's that the World Health Oraganization had Taiwan and the Philipines rated ahead of Thailand in the number of HIV cases. Wonder why that kind of info never makes into the mainstream news.

Says shygye:

The Thais do that also and to a greater degree. Just look at the new airport contracts. Just look at the government compost scam. Just look at the government dairy scam. And the list goes on and on and on.

[color:"red"] I can list a bunch of government scandals that also that occur in the West and Lord knows of the corruption that never comes to light because it is conducted legally. Take a look at the defence industry and tell me what you think
[/color]

Are you forgetting the collapse of the baht in 1997? The rich Thais cashed out of the baht before the Bank of Thailand floated the currency. Plus all the sweetheart loans banks doled out to MPs and their family businesses.

[color:"red"] Goodness do you even read about the corporate scandals in the West? Did you know that WCOM which declared bankruptcy because of acconting fraud by it's executives at one point had a market cap of US $170billion(40% of thailands GDP of 400 billion)? Do you know how many people "in the know" "cashed out" and those that didn't lost their life savings and jobs? What did the bank of Thailand lose in their support of the baht? US30billion? Do you even realize that the tele-communication and utility industries shed multi-billions of dollars in value because of the corruption and fraud that far surprass the GDP of Thailand?
[/color]

That is not corruption. Many groups lobby congress as is their right to petition government. Farmers lobby congress. Trial lawyers lobby congress. The elderly lobby congress. The disabled lobby congress. Environmentalists lobby congress. Teachers lobby congress. Aids activists lobby congress.

[color:"red"] I didn't say lobbyists were corrupt. I said the lobbyist industry thrives on what is the equivalent of legal coruption.Do you honestly think that 10,000 a plate fund raisng dinners, weekend jaunts to private ranches, speaking fees, stock tips, hiring friends and family members to work at certain corporations,access to private jets, etc have no influence to corrupt lawmakers? Don't be naive. When was the last time you had a private dinner with your Congressman to discuss a law that would benefit or harm your business? Bottom line in the lobbyist business is that money talks and sentiment walks.

We can both sit here and list multiple examples of corruption in Thailand and the and West. My point is simply that corruption in LOS may be more widespread but it is in no way larger on scale than corruption in the West. The West has refined the practice of corruption to a very high stakes card game. To me Thailand plays for slot machine money and the West plays bacarrat stakes; anyone can put a dollar into a slot machine but only a few can play Baccarat at $10,000 a hand.

[/color]

[color:"green"] Do you even realize that the tele-communication and utility industries shed multi-billions of dollars in value because of the corruption and fraud that far surprass the GDP of Thailand? [/color]

You are confusing an economic downturn with corruption at a few corporations. Look at the stock price of AT&T, Nortel, Lucent, etc. that are way down not because of corruption but a poor business climate.

[color:"green"] Don't be naive. When was the last time you had a private dinner with your Congressman to discuss a law that would benefit or harm your business? Bottom line in the lobbyist business is that money talks and sentiment walks.

[/color]

You are being naive. Our air and water quality are much improved from the 1960's. The East River never catches on fire any more. Big business were against many of the standards and they LOST. Big business was against Medicare (increases employment taxes) and they LOST. Many businesses were against raising the minimum wage and they LOST.

[color:"green"] My point is simply that corruption in LOS may be more widespread but it is in no way larger on scale than corruption in the West. [/color]

Yes it is as a percentage of GDP. It hurts the people of Thailand so much more because of all the money stolen. Money that could go to education, job training, and economic development. Now that is a reason for the Thais to lose face.

yes and no

yes, Taipei City no longer surpasses Bangkok.

If you include the suburbs of Taipei (which have not been cleaned up) I would not be sure about it.

a lot of the business is in Taichung nowadays. Taichung certainly surpasses Bangkok. But you were asking for a capital city, which Taichung isn't.

"Thailands reputation" with whom, anyway?

My sister visited me in Thailand the last couple of weeks. For her, Thailand was an exotic country in the Far East with beaches, elephants and jungles. A lot of crap in my view, but then she holds a masters degree in geography, so she should know.

Chinese tourists, on the other hand, like Thailand for folklore and cheap holiday and shopping. And they are very keen to see the katoeys. The girls are not the main attraction, they are too "black".

Thailand - the kingdom of make-believe - manages to give many different people a different impression.

Only this way can Thailand be so successful in the tourism industry.

good enough to claim there's no mutual consent in this particualr relationship??

----------------------------

that's not what i said. I said the problem (again, if any) of prostitution on a large sacle, as an industry, is deeper than just 2 people consenting. It took many factors to congregate so many girls in one place like Pattaya or Nana, or else, the industry was not started because some girls wanted to meake a buck with her ass. That's giving them too much power in a male-dominated society as Thailand. In a nutshell

Merry Xmas to you.

Archived