Thailands reputation

liquidflux

[color:"blue"]For many thais, it is accepted, and they throw no opprobrium to it.[/color]

Yes, I think so too (though with many 'abers' thrown in into that). The careful reader -- that obviously excludes bibblies -- should be able to observe that what I'm opposed to is the argument that prostitution in Thailand is a marginalized. I think it's not. That's also why the country has its' current reputation. At least that's my theory.

I read just recently that in 1995 it was believed that Thailands sex industry's revenue equaled 60-70 % of Thai governments annual budget. (I can try to look up the source if anyone would like me to). Sixty to seventy percent!

- - -

On a side note. Good points there P127 in your two, three previous posts above.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Straycat

"- Show me any other country where it's believed that 70-90% of the male population lost their virginity to a prostitute. "

Jasmine

"The reason why they lost the virginity to prostitutes is because there is NOT many non-prostitute females to accommodate the process. It has nothing to do with why Thailand has so many prostitutes."

Interesting point here,but Jasmine you're very partial.The "it has NOTHING to do..." seems like an overstatement...Prostitutes are widely and cheaply available in LOS.There's gotta be a link...

But yes,it seems to me that regular thai girls are more conservative than their western counterparts.Reminds me a while ago,my ex(very decent ABAC student) was on the net reading some famous young thai singer interview.In karaoke the guy said something like "Puying farang laed jin jin,tae may kai toa meuan kon thai"

Free translation could be "Western ladies use their pussy very loosely indeed,but they don't sell it like thais do"

:o

[color:"green"] Corruption manifests itself everywhere and is not the sole domain of Thailand like many here seem to allude to. [/color]

The scale of corruption in Thailand is so much larger than in western countries. The fundamental difference is that the Thais accept corruption as normal. When a bad cop is caught in the US he loses his job and will be tried in court for the crime. When a bad cop is caught in Thailand at most he will be reassigned to a less wealthy district he can continue to prey on. How about those "inactive" government posts in Thailand? The corruption in Thailand is on such a vast scale compared to the west. :(

[color:"blue"]iWestern ladies use their pussy very loosely indeed, but they don't sell it like thais do[/color]

Remember that line! And, then disuss that issue with ladies you encounter. You'll get very interesting answers, I promise. You'll think you just landed on Mars. Culture clash...oh!

Hi,

I am in the States and had a pleasure of spending sometimes (Looong ago) as an exchange student form Thailand in an American high school. The questions I was asked those days were "Why aren't you dating? Don't you want to have a family?". Similar questions were asked when I studied for the BS also. Mind you, this was in the 60s when freedom meant free in a lot of avenues, including sex. Most of my Thai friends and I realized then that we were not ready for "sex" or love, since our priority was the education.

When I went back to Thailand and spent the 1st year in a Univ., my first real date was with an American and I was cautioned by the Univ.'s dean to be careful and discreet. It was not accepted then but being friends and went out in a group was ok. Sexual talks were from our male class mates who felt that they were the chosen ones as males to be experienced in sex, not us females. So, spending time with the prostitutes were their option.

Of course Thailand has changed a lot, but still, there are many of the females who adhere to the old belief.

I don't care about the virginity as much as a person himself/herself. I have raised a daughter who is 27 yrs. old now and she is an American kid and many of her peers did not care about dating until college.

I ride MARC train to work, there is a BIG poster on one of the cars that says "VIRGIN is not a dirty word!".

Cheers! :D :D :D

Hi,

[color:"red"] The "it has NOTHING to do..." seems like an overstatement...Prostitutes are widely and cheaply available in LOS.There's gotta be a link... [/color]

I have said it before, the link is the poverty and the high cost of living and the greed to make big money in "can-be-easy way". the greed for materials has always been the Thais' weakness, they judge others by what people have, materiel-wise.

IMO, Asian women are the most foolish people when it comes to material things. Some women I have met, judge ones from what they wear (clothes and jewelry) and some of them work extra hours so they can afford these things. Many Thai women are also like that in Thailand or abroad and some will sell themselves for a price.

Now, please be aware that I am not from a rich Thai family, however my husband's income and mine is in a very high tax bracket in the US but things do not change of what we value. Some people's wants and greed will never be satisfied.

I have never faulted those women who sell themselves becuase some do need to make money and the easiest way is prostitution, I might have done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

Cheers!

Hi,

[color:"red"] I disagree that they won't lose a lot of revenue if they eradicate the farang sex trade. [/color]

Thailand will lose the revenue, it is the fact. There will be more people who will NOT suffer from the lost of the revenues, than the ones who will suffer. The ones who will suffer are the poor women and men who are the front end of the sex industry, they are the ones who need the money most. The owners of lands and those sex places will not suffer much.

There is real money in Thailand that is not dependedt on the tourist income. These people may not be able to own 5 Mercedez for a family of 3, but they will survive.

The modest Thai family like mine will also survive. The poor people who has no other means of income nor education is the ones will suffer badly.

If Thailand really wants to help, the work should be in giving equal opportunities to education and provide meaningful jobs which decent salaries to all people. If things are all equal, there will be less prostitution, I believe.

Cheers!

Archived