How many Bank Accounts do prostitutes have ?

Goodthaigirl

Many prostitutes in the farang oriented business don't even have a single bank account.

When they come from the countryside to Bangkok they usually don't have a bank account yet. If they have worked in Bangkok in some other line of business before they entered the sex trade this does not mean they have a bank account.

To open an account they will need an ID, they must be old enough and literate. Quite a few do not fulfilll these criteria.

And if they don't have someone who sends them money (most don't) there is really no reason at all for them to have a bank account.

BTW Sometimes a farang opens an account "for her" but the farang still has full control over the account (no matter whether the account is in his or her name), she has just the ATM card or the bankbook. I would not consider this as "her" account.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<I've been reading about prostitutes showing their bank accounts to their customers for whatever reasons>>

I'm not spoiling for a fight GTG ;) ;)but why on earth are you interested in this??

Says iuytrede:

To open an account they will need an ID, they must be old enough and literate. Quite a few do not fulfilll these criteria.

We are required to have ID when we're 15. So, I'm sure all of them are old enough to have ID. About litteracy, if they can manage to write their name, they are ok to have a bank account coz these days bank personal can fill up the form for them.

Says iuytrede:

BTW Sometimes a farang opens an account "for her" but the farang still has full control over the account (no matter whether the account is in his or her name), she has just the ATM card or the bankbook. I would not consider this as "her" account.

Good point. So, my question is that if they have a bank account in THEIR own name.

>>We are required to have ID when we're 15

Yes, that's the law.

But sometimes not the reality.

>> if they can manage to write their name, they are ok to have a bank account coz these day bank personal can fill up the form for you.

Nice ideal.

I guess you have never been inside a bank together with ann illiterate person. I have.

The reality is, first of all, an illiterate person doesn't even recognize a bank if she sees one. And after having been shown one branch of Bangkok Bank she still has difficulties identifying other branches. Banks do not belong to her world (buffaloes do).

Second, she would never voluntarily enter into this strange office which is so many steps higher than she is in the social order. Especially because she wants to avoid admitting her illiteracy.

Third, she would not want to ask bank staff for help. They look down upon her anyway, why lose face by asking for help? Anyway, they would not be willing to help her. They will hand her a form and tell her to fill it out, then just ignore her.

I am talking of experience.

I have helped uneducated prostitutes from upcountry to register at a hospital or a health centre in Bangkok, go to a bank or a school or ask for tickets at a travel agent. They are very reluctant to do it alone - for good reasons: Thai class society.

>And lazyphils question was, why on earth are you interested in this? <

He avoided answering directly to my question on other thread so I don't think I will answer his question here.

::

And I think this kind of question is silly. Sorry to say that. I'm not flaming anyone. I'm sure you - Straycat - knows my answer will be. It's simple and anyone knows.

Your attack on the word prostitution implies that it is different than bargirl. Bargirl seems to you to be some kind of kinder or gentler sort of definition.

As evidence is the fact that you state, "I am referring to the label "Prostitute" that is screaming from the thread title."

Screaming exactly what?

Your definition of bargirl is your own. Though held by many people. My definition includes prostitution. That defnition is held by many.

Don't like the term that's fine. But if you're going to attack someone, do it based on logic. Emotion just leads to endless arguments.

Thus I used, and still stand by, the term delusional.

You replied with all these other labelling terms. I don't believe this adds one whit to your argument because the labels you cited doesn't change the definition of the profession.

<<burp>>

Says iuytrede:

>>We are required to have ID when we're 15

Yes, that's the law.

But sometimes not the reality.

I knew that.

Says iuytrede:

Nice ideal.

I guess you have never been inside a bank together with ann illiterate person. I have.

Sorry to disappoint you and spoil your fun, I have. I showed her (my domestic helper, I know to tell you this I will get a flame or two but I don't care) how to do things like deposting and withdrawing her money. I told her if she didn't sure or forgot how to do it, just ask the staff. It's their job to show you and don't be afraid to tell them you don't know how. Be assertive. I told her I would do the same because there are so many forms with so many colours and it's confusing. So, don't feel like you are losing face just to ask. Also, different banks have different procedure sometimes so just ask otherwise you are wasting your time. It worked pretty well with her. May be I was lucky to have intellegent girl that didn't care much about face?

Says iuytrede:

The reality is, first of all, an illiterate person doesn't even recognize a bank if she sees one. And after having been shown one branch of Bangkok Bank she still has difficulties identifying other branches. Banks do not belong to her world (buffaloes do).

Can she read a bit ? If not, a problem. If she can, should be any problem I'm sure. A lttle thick, maybe. I know they are clever ones and not-so-clever ones. To say 'Banks do not belong to her world' it's a bit unfair. I don't think it's the bank's fault. It's the government's fault for failing to provide all of its citizen adequte education. Long story but I'll leave it to that. ::

Says iuytrede:

Second, she would never voluntarily enter into this strange office which is so many steps higher than she is in the social order. Especially because she wants to avoid admitting her illiteracy.

Just be assertive. But I know that Thai people usually are not raised to be one. Just practice a bit and it will work.

Says iuytrede:

They will hand her a form and tell her to fill it out, then just ignore her.

I am talking of experience.

Can you tell me which bank and which branch? If I were you I'd see the manager.

Says iuytrede:

I have helped uneducated prostitutes from upcountry to register at a hospital or a health centre in Bangkok, go to a bank or a school or ask for tickets at a travel agent. They are very reluctant to do it alone - for good reasons: Thai class society.

Now, flame me. But I'd say with the class thing, if they are brave and don't care about the face enough to decide to be a prostitute, why are they so afraid to go to a bank or a hospital? They are brave enough to go to bed with total strangers, maybe several guys a night ? Some of the sex buyers see them as a piece of meat and treat them badly. They can tolerate it. So, how can they not tolerate a staff in the bank or being looked down ? I'm not saying being looked down it's alright, ok? But maybe the reason they don't go to open a bank account is they don't see the benefit of it that much. If they see it they will, eg. a channel to get money abroad ? I guess being looked down by bank staff doesn't give her money. :drunk:

Archived