It makes me bloody angry!

robaus

Says legoland:

Robaus

I'm curious.How would you react if a katoey told you a guy made her pregnant and left her without a penny??

Or perhaps if she says you fathered the baby that's gonna come out of her belly?? ::

Just asking because this kind of things seems to happen and I understand you are a very considerate dude

Dude I don't know if anyone has told you but your scenarios, analogies, examples, etc, whatever you want to call them are in left field somewhere. Your cryptic style of responses fail to make sense whatsoever. Take the time to elaborate and develop your thoughts and it would make a better discussion for all.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says harlequinbkk:

You make a good point about the temptations that are presented to a young lady in a poor Thai village. I don't think so much that people are 'good' or 'bad', but rather that they are 'strong' or 'weak' (spiritually, not physically). Strong people resist temptations, weak ones sucumb to it.

Good/Bad or Strong/Weak are pretty much fungible terms given the context in which you are using them. I fail to see the true distinction of the terms given your statement.

Personally, I see the stereotypical Thai prostitute as a strong heroine(in the tragic sense of course) instead of a "weak" individual. You have a woman who has to survive in a rigid patriarchal society where she has no opportunity at a decent education, good job, etc and she makes the choice to sell her body in order to provide a decent life for herself and her family. She being poorly educated and unskilled maximizes her only true and valuable asset within her society which is her body. There are no social welfare programs and absolutely no security provided by the government. In a society where one needs money, education, networks or dumb luck to transcend poverty there is only one prevailing rule: no work no eat.

Our heroine is full of fear yet she believes the best solution is to embrace the grisly business of prostitution. She is aware of the risk of disease, violence, drug use, abuse and death. Her hope is that she will get a good run and make enough money to take care of her financial problems.

Keep in mind that the woman does this in a society where image or face is almost everything and there is no redemption once she makes that choice. She is immediately ostracized and will never be "acceptable" by the mainstream. Throw into the mix our heroine may never have the opportunity for a normal relationship or unconditional love from a man.

Does not sound like an easy or weak willed choice to make. Sounds like fear, desperation, sense of responsibility and unadulterated bravery to me.

Amazing how those of us who are fortunate to have opportunities can be so critical and negatively judgemental of those who have so little.

Says harlequinbkk:

I do not hate prostitutes, but I do have less respect for them than for women who manage to earn a living without selling their bodies.

[color:"red"] Your logic is interesting. Conversely you must have more respect for a man that does not indulge in P4P. Which would mean that you would have less respect for yourself since you are an admitted P4P participant.
[/color]

I would not show a prostitute (or any other person) that she is 'just garbage'. In fact, I would advise a prostitute that she need to respect herself and try to extract herself from the life she is leading. As you said, it is a high risk profession (AIDS, unwanted pregnancy, becoming hardened and losing your soul, etc.) and I would point this out to her.

[color:"red"] Question? What would you advise a man in the P4P scence? Should he respect himself? Should he admonish himself because he pays for the sexual services from a woman that has no respect for herself? Are the risks equally not the same for the punter, HIV, unwanted pregnancy, losing his soul, etc? Sorry to say but your slant doesn't align with your sentiment nor your actions.

[/color]

Hi,

[color:"red"] she was so taken by his charm, his looks, his youth that she forgot to pay attention to why she is in the business in the first place? Show me some respect with the cash went out the window? This sounds more of a case where her own foolishness and stupidity got the best of her and he wrongly took advantage of the her and the situation. [/color]

She is young and still new and it sounded like she was charmed.

Just like most of our jobs, just because I like my job, it does not mean that I should work for free (even though many weeks I have over time without pay). I know prostitution is not exactly like regular jobs like a lot of people try to make it to be, but as far as I am concern, a business is a business.

She will learn real fast though.

Jasmine

Says daddydog:

I am going to stay off this board for a while. It's is just too painful for me. Dad used to tell me all the time when I was a little girl that he wished I had never been born and that's the way I felt this morning when I read the last post. I really do wish I had never been born when I read posts like that.

Maybe when you find yourself getting emotionally caught up in the posts on the board it may be beneficial for you to walk away from the computer have a soda and then come back.

daddydog,

Please read this before leaving the board.

I have only recently returned to this board, and hence have not built up an understanding of the position taken by the regular posters or of the value of their posts.

Sometimes the posts on this board have made us all at one time or another angry, frustrated, and yes, tearful.

Whilst I have only been on this Board a short time, I posted for a couple of years on the old nanaplaza board.

We have to realise, that what brings people to this board is a common interest. As it says on the homepage, this site is about Thai nightlife. It is good though, that the interests and posts of the members extend far beyond that.

The people who post here have generally had experience of Thai nightlife. Many are Thai. Many have lived in Thailand for a long time. Many have had very close relationships with BGs. Many are married to ex BGs.

Still others come to the board to learn about the Thai nightlife scene, perhaps before they come to LOS for the first time.

I would have to say in the 4 years or so that I have visited the Board off and on. It has made me laugh, made me sad, made me cry and made me angry.

I reckon 95% of the posters are honest and genuine people. I have personally gained some sound support and advice from the members here (on the old board in particular) which has changed my outlook on life and LOS for the good.

Sometimes, a complete jerk will post on the board, or someone will make some really stupid comment or callous judgement. That makes me angry too. But it is here that the Board can serve a very useful purpose.

The vast majority of members, who love LOS, its people and culture, have grown to develop an understanding and respect for the BGs who have entertained most of us at some time or another.

Like many others on this board, I have formed very close relationships with BGs. Relationships built on mutual respect and understanding. There are BGs that I would honestly call my friends.

It is this experience and understanding that I think is one of the greatest postive influences a board like this can have.

Newbies who come to this board soon learn that prostitution and prostitutes in LOS are totally different from those in the West.

To have board members who are female and also have been BGs themselves, lends significant value to this influence.

In simple terms, one of the things this board can do.....is educate idiots about BGs and how to treat them with respect.

Sometimes, as in your case, I can understand that process can hurt. Particularly when you get emotionally involved in a thread, which it is hard not to sometimes.

If you leave the board, I hope you come back at some stage to help educate the occasional 'sick or evil' bastard that posts here.

I guess that whilst there is the odd bad apple posting on this board, there are a few BGs who have a bad streak in them too.

Sid

Says jjsushi:

>snipped

Keep in mind that the woman does this in a society where image or face is almost everything and there is no redemption once she makes that choice. She is immediately ostracized and will never be "acceptable" by the mainstream. Throw into the mix our heroine may never have the opportunity for a normal relationship or unconditional love from a man.

Does not sound like an easy or weak willed choice to make. Sounds like fear, desperation, sense of responsibility and unadulterated bravery to me.

Amazing how those of us who are fortunate to have opportunities can be so critical and negatively judgemental of those who have so little.

Indeed jjsushi, amazing how many whoremongers on this board together with Thai society look down on prostitutes.

They fail to have any imagination on how and why these girls "decide" to use their body as a money-maker. The usual excuse of "it was their free choice" is a tad weak.

And many of these punters only have one tought in mind: return to LOS to take advantage of the ladies "free choice" .

It occurs to me there is more "bad" in whoremongers than in the prostitute.

Archived