Useless Posts

unit731

Zhuangzi on uselessness

Now, a soaring imagination may be wild and wonderful, but it is extremely impractical and often altogether useless. Indeed, Huizi, Zhuangzi's friend and philosophical foil, chides him for this very reason. But Zhuangzi expresses disappointment in him: for his inability to sense the use of this kind of uselessness is a kind of blindness of the spirit. The useless has use, only not as seen on the ordinary level of practical affairs. It has a use in the cultivation and nurturing of the 'shen' (spirit), in protecting the ancestral and preserving one's life, so that one can last out one's natural years and live a flourishing life. Now, this notion of a flourishing life is not to be confused with a 'successful' life: Zhuangzi is not impressed by worldly success. A flourishing life may indeed look quite unappealing from a traditional point of view. One may give up social ambition and retire in relative poverty to tend to one's shen and cultivate one's xing (nature, or life potency).

I like the life potency aspect, so I think I'll just xing-it :nahnah:

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well, with less than 10k posts in 5 years missing the 2k posts/year marker you will need to do better, not that your little rant in Riskiest Place Sex was a useful one, good try :thumbup:

You can't afford the South of France?

I do, greetings from la Côte D'Azur with a lovely Pastis on ice.

Score: SD 2 - Tarty 2

Oh, and we do have the best Tarts on the planet.

Archived