Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I'm not defending Tobacco, but I would suggest that many who smoke and die from "Tobacco use" related causes, may, as non smokers, have lived another year and died of non "Tobacco use" related causes.

There is a definite bias, to ascribing any health issue, for a smoker as a "Tobacco use" related cause. If I have a heart attack as a smoker, it's because I smoke, If I have one as a non smoker, I have a heart attack.

Just picking holes in someone's logic.

"Unintentional Poisoning" - stands out to me, I have known people who have dies by all other related deaths in the chart, bar this one.. and coss is right, death by cancer, stroke, heart, respiratory of a smoker will go down as tobacco related. Basically if a smoker dies by any "natural" means - that's what it goes down as.

Medical errors is #2. Between that and being exposed to deadly, catch able diseases while in a hospital, I'll take my chances not seeing a doctor/hospital unless its a life and death situation. By the way, I doubt if tobacco use was a contributing factor at Sandy Hook.

Slight detour, as its not US-specific, but we introduced the plain-packaging laws in Oz a month or two ago. I'm sure you've all seen the cartons of fags with the gangrenous foot or 'decaying' mouth on the package - apparently most smokers can ignore those, but they have one with a photo of a dying man, complete with inset showing him 'before' he got cancer and it really aint pretty. Anecdotal evidence has it that this particular image is having the desired effect - if only to the point where smokers are using stickers to obscure the image. Personally, having two parents who smoked was enough to make me a lifetime non-smoker : I guess they got something right after all ....

170073-cigarette-label.jpg

Despite the onslaught of media propaganda in support of the Obama administration’s anti-second amendment agenda in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook school shooting, the statistics clearly illustrate that gun control does not reduce violent crime and in fact has the opposite effect.

070113graph1.JPG

As the graph above highlights, according to the latest figures

obtained by the FBI, violent crime offenses in the United States have been falling since 2007. The five year trend clearly shows that, despite there being an ongoing national debate about gun violence in America, violent crime itself is actually becoming less of a problem.

The graph below from the Department of Justice also highlights the fact that over the last 40 years, the amount of guns in America per 1000 people has increased, whereas serious violent crimes have decreased.

070113graph2.gif

Another attempt to disparage Vietnam Veterans.

A sad commentary from those who still treat Vietnam Veterans with disdain.

"It’s a sad commentary on the Washingtonian mindset that a foreign policy “realist†like Hagel is considered the 21st century equivalent of Abbie Hoffman, but these people live in a bubble where the outdated “left-right†paradigm still dictates our political choices. Yet the majority of Republicans out in the country support Hagel’s basic position — caution, retrenchment, paring down the Pentagon — the very stances Hagel is being pilloried for by the likes of Lindsey Graham.

That Washington is America’s Bizarro World was vividly dramatized when Sen. Dan Coates attacked Hagel for — wait for it — being “disrespectful of the military“! What this can mean when applied to a two-time winner of the Purple Heart, a Vietnam vet who was severely wounded in action and spent his entire time at the VA fighting for vets, is beyond me — but, then again, I don’t live inside the Beltway."

LINK