business slow; prices high

I was chatting with an up-country school teacher last night, her take was the exact opposite. Basically, she said she felt sorry for these girls, because the worked hard at a job that she could never do. She said she thought it was very hard to go and work in a bar, and go with falangs etc, so they can help their family, who often don't appreciate the support the girls provide. She said the girls do what she could not do, in order to help people she would never help...

Guess a lot depends on individual circumstances etc...

"... Lazy more in the terms of not working another profession, for less money..."

Well, I guess I am lazy also, as I don't want to work in another profession for less! :) This was sort of my point in my previous babbling post...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...seems fun, i'll join in!

BG+looker=lazy...why she doesn't try hard...LOL.

GTG says, "sorry for BG can never do"...really! Since, 1997 how many GTG moved into the scene?

BG makes over 50,000bht= few.

BG= hard to say..does she ST?

MG= at least...if rated 6 or beter!

GGG= the top five in most gogo's get that...in LD and st/LT.

I'm tired already!

I must be lazy.

SB

But this job attracts lazy girls, who can make fast and easy money without working too hard. They can come later or just take a day off, if they don?t want to go with someone they don?t go. Tell me a regular job with that freedom!

Most self employed people I know can do the same and maybe you don't understand the basics of bar salaries but a dancer must make 50% of the barfines before the manager even starts to kick in the other half. Bars are not unionized businesses with benefits, unemploynent pay, health plans, sick pay etc. The bottom line is that if a girl does not work for the day then she does not make money, plain and simple.

I still fail to see where you have shown that they are "lazy" because they work in a go-go. If they were truly lazy then they would not work at all and live on handouts or charity.

I really don't think you understand what the word lazy means. You instead keep trying to compare the work a go-go dancer does to that of a factory worker and your comparison is extremely full of holes.

Maybe you were never taught that there is a difference betwen working "hard" and working "smart" and "risk" associated with a partucular job.

I know people who make US$500 an hour for just "thinking", "reviewing" a document or making an introductory phone call for someone vs a city garbage man who makes US$15 an hour for hauling trash for an entire day. Who "works" harder?

Prostitution carries a certain amount of "risk", in case you did not know. The risks primarily being a societal outcast, physical abuse and death, therefore there is a risk premium associated with prostitution that a factory worker will not get nor your office secretary. The risk/ reward ratio can also be applied to an entrepreneur vs a union assmebly line worker.

You failingly look at things from a "works hard" scenario but you fail to asess risk profile.

What about the nice guy taking them to Phuket for a week, buying gold ?. There are always two sides.

What about the asshole that smacks them around and bruises them up, the customer that decides during intercourse he doesn't want to wear a condom anymore and subjects the girl to a potential STD, the guy who decides he wants anal sex when she never agreed upon it and then forces her to do it, the customer that doesn't pay them the agreed amount?

What is your point?

For every "Pretty Woman" movie like happy ending scenario you paint I can paint the complete opposite picture which would be closer to the norm.

There is always two sides but for some one side comes up more often than the other.

Here again comes the hope for fast cash and the relatively big freedom (laziness) regarding to working hours into play.

When did "freedom" become equated with "laziness"? Do you make up these definitions as you go along?

I have a friend that raises money for a living and gets 7% of every deal that he is involved in which brings in about mid-six figures-to low seven figures in income every year for him. He "works" if he pushes it, 35hrs a week, takes off weeks at a time and plays golf alot, plus spending time with his children.

I guess according to your definition he is pretty fucking "lazy". I wish I was that 'lazy".

Well the living costs you summarized make ~ 300 a day, thus 9,000 a month.

I said that 3000bt-9000bt was the monthly go to work everyday, not living expenses. Living expenses would include rent, food, clothing, mobile, sending money to other family, medical, etc.

as they often come in groups or eat together.

Some do and some don't

But why do they pay for taxis at all?

Because they live some distance from where they work You do realize that they don't actually live in the bar you know? They will take a motobike or taxi because it s more practical an convenient. Taking the bus will take too long and is hot and crowded during rush houralso walking or a bicycle is out of the question. They do have this thing about being hot,sweaty and smelly when they arrive at work.

I spoke with dozens of girls and asked them why they stay far away from the place they work, why not look an apartment near Nana or SC? I never got a clear answer.

Maybe the local rents are more than they would like to pay, they get a better place for the money living farther away or they are not near friends and family or they are simply comfortable with where they live. Why is it so hard for you to get a clear answer. I always get one when I ask.

I am currently of the opinion(not that it matters to you) that you don't know any or maybe a couple BG's/dancers. You basically appear to know stereotypes and other generalities. Most of what you say with your facts, opinions, numbers etc seem to be gathered from reading the boards or asking a couple of cursory questions from some people in the scene.

Now I am not saying that you should know any of this info or even get to know a dancer/BG(if you want to pay for the fantasy and not know the reality then that is your right).

What I am saying is that before you publicly spout some of the mis-information that you have so far as some sort of "facts" you should take the time to learn a bit more about the subject matter.

Ok let me clarify what I understood under ?lazy? when I wrote my previous post as it seemed that the term has been mistaken.

I consider them as lazy, because they can?t work regularly, often are late or just don?t appear for work? ?Me Thinktoomut? forwarded me a pay slip of girl:

In one month she came late 2618 min, which means she didn?t work for ~ 10days assuming that the average working time is from 8:00pm to 2:00pm. Another 4 days she didn?t appear at all. Exactly that is my point of being lazy!! Tell me one job, in which she could behave in that way without getting fired within days.

You might say that they will change, if getting a good paid normal job, but my and the experience of my friends is different. I know quite a lot of girls, who wanted to stop work in the bar and work in a regular job or study, either because they hated the bar or they found a guy supporting them. Out of 10 may be one succeeded; the 9 others gave up and returned to the bar.

I myself lived once with a freelancer for one year. For one year she stayed my room and waited I come back from work, just watching TV, playing games or meeting friends. She was a former law student and I told her many times to study again or look for a job. Finally I broke with her, because it became to stressful to entertain her. I worked 8-10 hours a day getting up at 8am. She slept until 11:00 or 12:00, and then watched TV until 15:00. After played computer and watched TV again until I came home and then she wanted to go out for party. I know many guys, who also have/had live-in girl friends behaving like my ex girlfriend. Thais are the world champions in killing/wasting time without getting bored.

BUT:

I never said that they don?t work hard

I never said that I find it good that the average wages in Thailand are that low. But don?t do we all take advantage of this fact?

I never said that they don?t have a miserable life back home in Isaan.

And yes there are of course people being much more lazy then them; e.g. their boyfriends doing nothing then drinking and spending their money. That?s why they are called ?Maeng Da,? referring to bug, which female carries the male bug on their back.

Hi,

"In one month she came late 2618 min, which means she didn?t work for ~ 10days assuming that the average working time is from 8:00pm to 2:00pm. Another 4 days she didn?t appear at all. Exactly that is my point of being lazy!!"

And did it also say why she came in late, or not at all?

Perhaps she was sick (PMS?) for a bunch of those days, or even 'working' another customer who she met during the afternoon in the beergarden.

"Tell me one job, in which she could behave in that way without getting fired within days."

A sales person on a commission only basis?

Anyway, the point is rather moot (sp?) since there are hardly any jobs you can compare to this one.

Sanuk!

Late to work or don't show up to me is not lazy. It is lack of sense of responsibility. Here in US, some people just sit at home and wait for their monthly welfare checks. I call them lazy, not people have no other choices but have to work in the bars.

>In one month she came late 2618 min, which means she didn?t work for ~ 10days assuming that the average working time is from 8:00pm to 2:00pm. Another 4 days she didn?t appear at all. Exactly that is my point of being lazy!! Tell me one job, in which she could behave in that way without getting fired within days.

I forwarded (in a private email) you a payslip Stickman published in one of his weeklies a year and a half (or longer?) ago.

The reason I did that was your claim that girls earn 50K+, getting 12-15K only from the bar.

Instead of admitting (or refrain from pushing further) that your numbers were unrealistic, you are making another point (lazyness) when the payslip showed the girl had earned only 1600Bht that month from the bar.

My gf, when the same payslip pic was shown to her, said she was making between 1K-5K from the bar, never more.

I'm afraid more people may join JJsushi in his qualification that you have gathered what you think you know by surfing the boards.

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hi,

I don't think by 'lazy', most posters mean 'don't work hard'. Or that girl should be derided from wanting to get out of a slum like home life. Lazy more in the terms of not working another profession, for less money. It's easier to make XX amount of baht, doing what they do, as opposed to making a living in the same manor as their female counterparts.

the problem with that definititon of "lazy" is that if you apply it universally it doesn'y hold water.

I could take my college degree and work as an engineer for the Peace Corp and make US$10k a year or I can go and work for a private firm and work for Bechtel and make US$100k a year.

To comapre a poorly educated BG to a secretary with college degree is ridiculous and to say that a BG who doesn't work in a factory with workers of comparable education for 5000bt a month is being lazy is ridiculous.

The poster is not making a logical objective judgement he is making a very biased value judgement with poor analogies that don't hold water.

Even he states that to him laziness=freedom. Now that in my book is completely incredulous.

To Me thinktoomut:

Well you have shown me this pay slip to prove that bar girls can?t make 12,000THB to 15,000THB a month without going with customer. Again I don?t know this girl and my assumption was based on the good looking ones.

But also this girl could come near these numbers, if she only had worked more instead of taking 6 days off (un-paid) and coming late a total of 2618 min. Then she would have earned a basic salary of 7,000 THB plus tip for drinks. Being in the bar another 10 to 12 days would automatically turn into more drinks. She got 45, so lets say with the additional working she could have made 80. Which is 80x30 =2400THB. So she has already 9,400 THB. And then you have to add the tip she gets from customers. If she makes an average of 100 THB a day, she will have a total 12,400 THB without any bar fine, which comes close to my numbers. So I don?t see that this slip proves me wrong.

To KhunSanuk:

No she can?t have been sick, because in the slip there were separate fields for unpaid holiday (which is normally taken for sick leave), days not worked (which is taken for un excused leave) and minutes late.

To Totsky:

If you prefer to call it a lack of responsibility instead of laziness, I can live with it.

To JJsushi:

You tell me that I use the term ?lazy? I a universal way. You should read my posts more carefully, I explained more then once, what I mean with the laziness of bar girls.

Anyway there is no reason to become personal just because we have a different opinion. I never said you don?t have a clue of the scene. You don?t know me and will probably never know me. But you can believe me; I know the scene pretty well for 7+ years, the last 3 years living in Soi 4 permanently. Although, I don?t bar fine often, I know many girls for years and I know from them what they earn and how they life.

I just tried to explain, why the good looking girls ask for that much money despite the slow business. And for the last time I only speak about good looking girls. (Under 18-25, no kids, nice bodies).

Let?s return to the original topic, which is more interesting then to discuss your or my understanding of laziness.

Archived