It fucking hurts

skirtlifter

I started out reading this thread thinking it was interesting and having what I had hoped were some interesting insights of my own to add.

Accordingly, I tried to write a reasonable and informative post expressing my opinion about the original poster's situation.

In return, I immediately get slammed with ad hominem attacks (I'm "a crackpot" etc) and various posters proceed to a) misstate my argument; B) attempt to refute an argument that I was not in fact making and c) call me to task for not defending this straw-man argument.

I don't have the time or inclination to go in and laboriously deconstruct the logical fallacies in these posts and besides, I don't think it would do any good because its fairly obvious that the some of the people responding aren't really reading what I have written but are instead responding emotionally to what they believe to be some diss on my part towards bargirls (when in fact quite the opposite is my intention).

For a good guide to logical and rhetorical fallacies click here:

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm

In any case, I find it disappointing that we cannot discuss this in a calm and rational manner - that is the purpose of this board isn't it?

For example, to take my statement that some freelance girls do in fact enjoy certain aspects of their job and then to restate it as "Yeah, working at NEP is every girl's dream job" is both rhetorically dishonest and disengenous - not to mention entirely missing the point, which was about freelancers, not go-go girls.

Anyway, I think that what I have written speaks for itself and I stand by every word. I am happy to debate it in an intelligent and honest way with anyone, anytime. But it would be nice if we could raise the level of the discourse a bit. :)

In another thread, Khun Sanuk asked for feedback on what's going on with the board. At least for me, these kind of overly-emotional ad hominem attacks seriously detract from my desire to participate on this board. Isn't this precisely why the board has moderators?

When we meet on Friday night's at Gulliver's we frequently have exactly these kinds of discussions - but in a calm and rational manner, even when we disagree.

Maybe it's setting the bar too high to expect that level of conversation on the web, but it's a worthy objective in my opinion.

Finally, it seems to me that this type of argumentiveness illustrates the real divide on this board - between those who actually live here with and among bar girls as part of their daily lives and those who just visit on holiday.

I do not think those two camps will ever truly be reconciled.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of good advice above. My own two bobs worth:

>>Is there anyway to stop her from doing so...

?Yes, marry her and get her away from the bar scene by taking her to your home country. You?ll make more money there. You take care of the general bills. Get her a job, and what she makes she can send back home, if she wishes. When you marry a Thai girl, you usually marry the family too.

The downside is: Legally married in farangland, she could take half (if not more with children involved) of your net worth, if things don?t work out.

You want her to commit to you. How much are you prepared to commit to her?

I?ve been there myself. I wasn?t prepared to commit, so my ex GF took the first cab off the rank who was. She is now unhappily married in Europe. She rings me occasionally. I think we both made a mistake. I miss her sometimes, but the pain definitely eases with time and distance.

Good luck, mate

:beer:

"So assuming this wildly implausible event occurs and her boyfriend marries her and supports her, do you really think that she's not going to miss screwing 30-35 other guys a month???? I don't...."

My sarcastic post was in response to this statement.

I agree that many bar girl's become addicted to the 'scene' - the friendships made, the drinking and partying, meeting new people, flirting, the ego fulfilment of being 'chosen' and most of all the money. And the longing to go back may become very strong.

But realistically, how many men would want to fuck 30 - 35 mingers a month? I mean it's not like these girls are screwing the cream of the genetic crop on a daily basis. So the idea that she is gonna miss fucking (for the most part unnattractive) strangers every day strikes me as strange.

JJ,

Time to tone down a bit and all of you to stick to discuss contents of postings without attacking, denigrating or commenting about posters thenselves.

If we all do that, we will all get along better, and have more pleasant feelings about disagreeing with each others.

Cheers - BB - mod

bkkshooter said:

In return, I immediately get slammed with ad hominem attacks (I'm "a crackpot" etc) and various posters proceed to a) misstate my argument; B) attempt to refute an argument that I was not in fact making and c) call me to task for not defending this straw-man argument.

Stop whining, if Iwanted to call you a crackpot I would have called you a crackpot. I said your theory was crackpot not you. Goodness gracious someone strongly disagrees with you and then you get all touchy and think someone is attacking you and calling you names.

Hi JJ,

as I'm not involved in this discussion and not a mod of this forum so I can post an unbiased opinion. IMO you're aggressive and have a tendency to belittle those with a different opinion. It's inside the rules, but gives the result of stopping further discussions not because you're winning but that you opponents feel it's not nice discuss with you. Let me add that you're not alone in argumenting this way! Take it easier and the discussing will be better without feelings hurt! :grinyes:

elef

BelgianBoy said:

JJ,

Time to tone down a bit and all of you to stick to discuss contents of postings without attacking, denigrating or commenting about posters thenselves.

If we all do that, we will all get along better, and have more pleasant feelings about disagreeing with each others.

Cheers - BB - mod

Don't worry I will gag myself and not post for 30 days. Don't want to be considered as attacking or denigrating a poster. Maybe, I need to learn how to lighten up and not respond strongly to posts I disagree with. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by having a critical opinion. After all it is a bulletin board and I shouldn't take things so seriously. Self flagellation and wearing a hair shirt is a good form of penance.

See you in 30days. Self imposed gag starts now. :grinyes::shhh:

JJ,

That is definitely not the result anyone wanted......... but he ! its your decision......

Then again, do re-read your postings here in a day or two, it might have been written slightly different wothout loosing any of the contents. Dont you think so ?

Come'on Jim, you're the doctor here !!!

Cheers !

Archived