20,000 baht a month...

chuckwoww

[color:"red"] Singhaman - sounds like you have a good one! Well done, and she has her head on sensible re debt, which most Thais just don't get!

[/color]

You are right about most Thais in money management. However, many families I have known do not get into debt, my brother is one of them.

However, many grass-root Thais lacks the skill to manage money, one simple man explained that becuase they don't have it to manage, they cannot practice, without praticing, where would the skill come from? Well, I have no answer for that. :neener:

Jasmine

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"she did not forget to say it would have to be in the "survival mode", just a tad above that."

Will use an example of a typical thai- My wife made a fair wage in thailand. She was able to have an apt with a friend ( she did not want to live alone) , There was cheap food around the place ( she did not want to eat buffet meals or at the sheraton all the time, but would have a McD once and awhile.) She would watch TV, read books, take a in-country vacation once an awhile and still save 50% of her salary.

My salary is 10x higher than hers. She still likes to take a vacation in thailand, still likes to read, still likes to watch tv, still likes to eat cheap thai food with me or friends and she still saves over 50% of her salary.

What I am saying is that most thais, even if they have the money at hand dont want to fly off to Singapore for the weekend, go eat at bourbon St, or by expensive things. She is happy with the lifestyle she has known all her life but endulges me when I want to fly off to singapore or eat expensive food. I am sure 90% of thais would be happy doing what they have done all thier life. And if they have some extra money for a few extra pleasures once and awhile they will be happy.

For all the girls in the nightlife, their lifestyle has never been expensive and really would be happy on 10K a month. They can have a very good thai lifestyle on it.

What would be survival mode for us is not for them. If someone gave me enough money to have a very good Canadian lifestyle back home I would be greatful. I would not need more than that. If they gave me 2x what a nice lifestyle is I would probably get into some trouble- buy faster cars, drink more often , eat more fatting food. I would be fatter, drunker and faster but not happier

>My salary is 10x higher than hers.

Normally, we always earn more than them. Out of Thai, 50 times, 60 times, 100 times. We believe we can flex our muscles.

When is the situation to do it, achieve something and not ask the question the thread starter had on his mind?

Well, people come here to ask, they shall see what we think or what we know. I just did my bit, you WYD did too.

Keep the answers and experiences coming.

Chuckwoww,

here comes the analysis from the expert ; in fact I split up with my 6 year ultralongtimegirlfriend because I could not hear about money any more. The problem with her was not the 20000 because she received a multiple of that and I do not care anway . The lethal built-in problem is that whatever you send, it is enough for a period only. 20000 should certainly be sufficient to survive in Siam countryside if madame does not play golf or likes witki too mut but an automatic supply of funds does not solve the money-issue ,instead creates new demand. This is like you have a nice job but still want a better one. One day the car breaks down and needs to be paid for, the roof of the new hous is leaking , mummy wants to play Bingo and so forth . The 20000 bht - figure is certainly acceptable but only for so long , no punter should hope that poverty has come to an end and purest love is what is left. I think that many tragedies falang/Thai arise only from the pressure that lies on your lady since she became the key to a better world because what should normally be enough money does not cover the expectations of the rest of the family involved and either falang one day is broke or go look new one like Buffalo Bill.

One man's opinion is this : them Siam ladies whether it comes as a Pattaya-originating relationship of whichever quality or nicely packed in a Thai-goodgirl / well-stuffed-expat package of the most serious kind , have one thing in mind and that is to organise something that is good for their family and possibly for themselves as well. I am not a good example because I am just after some nice dinners by the river and a decent boomboom from time to time but some of the cases I have come across are just based on illusion. If you can talk to a member of the relevant embassy in BKK you have an entertaining evening listening to the stories of falangs arriving full of positive spirit in Don Muang and 2 years later were found begging for a ticket home at the embassy. All money sunk in Isaan. In other words : 20000 could be enough as well as 10000 but better prepare for larger holes in the bucket.

BuBi , generous

not directed to anyone here.

i just think this discussion is really weird. it all centres around money. i dunno, but if i would have to pay up any sort of money to keep a relationship going that i would not call a relationship. that is not a base for anything. if i would have to be scared that my missus would leave me, or fuck around on me because i can't give here enough money, she would not be my missus anymore. most definately i would have never entered into such a relationship.

this may be thailand, but there are still the same forms of human decency valid as anywhere else. in a relationship i don't "buy pussy", i live with a partner sharing mutual responsibility.

if i would not have money to sent, my missus could make do with no money upcountry, as millions of thais can, as she has done so many years of her life. and without resorting to prostitute herself.

if i would have enough money to send her i would.

she though would be too proud, too considerate to put any sort of demands on me. if i would not have enough, i would not be scared to tell her, and if i would have enough i would be ashamed not to supply here with whatever she needs.

what i try to say here is that even without any money people can do upcountry, and with a lot of money people can obviously also do.

the difference here is that in a partnership no partner puts any untoward demands on the other, and shares responsibility with each other.

anything else is pure bullshit.

flyonzewall said:

not directed to anyone here.

i just think this discussion is really weird. it all centres around money. i dunno, but if i would have to pay up any sort of money to keep a relationship going that i would not call a relationship. that is not a base for anything. if i would have to be scared that my missus would leave me, or fuck around on me because i can't give here enough money, she would not be my missus anymore. most definately i would have never entered into such a relationship.

this may be thailand, but there are still the same forms of human decency valid as anywhere else. in a relationship i don't "buy pussy", i live with a partner sharing mutual responsibility.

if i would not have money to sent, my missus could make do with no money upcountry, as millions of thais can, as she has done so many years of her life. and without resorting to prostitute herself.

if i would have enough money to send her i would.

she though would be too proud, too considerate to put any sort of demands on me. if i would not have enough, i would not be scared to tell her, and if i would have enough i would be ashamed not to supply here with whatever she needs.

what i try to say here is that even without any money people can do upcountry, and with a lot of money people can obviously also do.

the difference here is that in a partnership no partner puts any untoward demands on the other, and shares responsibility with each other.

anything else is pure bullshit.

Sounds to me like your talking about your marriage which of course is not going to fit the discussion on this thread and would naturally seem weird if applied to your situation.

>>>Sounds to me like your talking about your marriage which of course is not going to fit the discussion on this thread and would naturally seem weird if applied to your situation.<<<

i don't know, but the way i read that stickman letter the guy is married to that woman. so in my book that fits exactly to that discussion.

i'll read it again though to be sure.

from that letter:

>>>For the past 2 years I have been supporting my girlfriend who lives in Khorat and has one child and she also takes care of her mother.<<<

OK, not married.

but he said "girlfriend". girlfriend in my definition is not a girl you rent, buy or whatever. that in my book is a real relationship.

but then, what do i know? some people call "girlfriend" some tart they have paid a barfine and some money for sex.

which i think is fucking sad.

I don't think Fly's post is related to marriage only.

What he tries to say is that if a relationship is largely based on how much money one partner hands over to the other, than there is no relationship but a commercial agreement on the rent of one's company. And we all know that financial agreements can be broken if financial commitments are not met.

orandanodes said:

What he tries to say is that if a relationship is largely based on how much money one partner hands over to the other, than there is no relationship but a commercial agreement on the rent of one's company.

Hi orandanodes,

That is what he is saying - but I don't agree with him. It is possible to have a genuine relationship while at the same time knowing that the basis of it is financial support. Depends on the individual circumstances and people involved.

And in saying this, I am not just talking about farang/BG situations. Relationships like this happen all over the world. Several times over the years I have come across cases (nothing to do with P4P) where a women has broken up with a guy (sometimes married to him already) because he is not rich/succesful enough for her. This is the opposite situation, but implies that if he had been rich/succesful she would have stayed, so money is at least part of the basis of the relationship.

Khwai

Archived