Peking Duck !!! :o)

Coss

I must say that when I had Peking Duck, in the Foreign Correspondent's Club in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, I was impressed.

I am sure that this was not the best, in the known culinary world, but at the time I thought, "fuckin good".

Now, I have had a few, or even many samplings of the famous dish, before and since, so it is my duty to inform those of you who may be able to make it to Middle Earth, that in a new restaurant, "Sunshine" in Market Place, AKL, the Peking Duck is spectacular!!! The rest of the duck (done with I think water chestnuts et al and served with lettuce), was also great.

The Steamed Chicken was equally good.

The Surf Clams were really good, but I thought they may be a touch "mild" in overall flavour.

The Crayfish was excellent but I am used to eating Crays "just steamed" so the Cantonese treatment is slightly lost on me.

A plate of green steamed stuff with the obligatory sauce was received and consumed with satisfaction as, despite the usually chewey (sp?) nature of these dishes, it was crisp, tender and no dribbles down the chin, nice.

Staple sweet and sour pork was, well, staple.

But, really lovely were the five, yes count 'em, five "hello" girls.

Quite an "old time" experience with hello girls, multiple maitre´d's (sp?), many busboys (and girls), great food and whilst not inexpensive, not ball breaking either.

Just My Humble Exhortation.

Cheers

Coss

Maybe you did not have *good* Peking Duck? Hmmmm, that undescrible thick sauce, the crispy skin, the juicy meat. Yummy! And I love the scallion pancakes that go with it myself almost as much (or maybe more) than the duck itself.

Anyway, I have had pretty darn good Peking Duck at a middle class Thai place near Seacon Square Srinakarin called Bua (there's more to the name, but that's all family ever calls it LOL). Great food there in general if ya ever find yerself out that way.

The best I ever had was at the famous Spring Deer restaraunt in Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui). That is why the place is famous and understand why!

A close second was some backalley place near the Taipei City Hall/Grand Hyatt Hotel that a Taiwanese friend took me to. Doubt I could find it again without his help (but maybe) and I sure do not remember the name.

I have never found really good Peking Duck in Peking (aka Beijing) :dunno:...

Cheers,

SD

Yes, there are Peking Ducks :) and Peking Ducks :( !

In most chinese restaurants in Europe you must order the Peking Duck minimum 24 hours in advance, which says something about how complicated the cooking is. However if the duck is of bad or mediocre quality nothing can make it a real Peking Duck.

Until the first bird flu arrived the duck served in MK, Big C in Pattaya, was almost of Peking Duck class, not any other MK in Pattaya or other place had the same! Now it's just a shadow of that Old Duck and same duck as everywhere. ::

Archived