Taking the girl out of the bar forever(?)

MrX

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJsushi: Man, your arguing using politician statements with no facts in your arguments doesn't help!

Okay, when we talk about eliminating prostitution, lets be realistic. It won't be eliminated. That hasn't happened anywhere. What can be done is to crackdown on prostition which could remove Thailand as a sex tourist destination. Doing that MIGHT make the economy burp. It wouldn't stumble.

Okay, you want statistics.

For the year of 2003, male visitors were greater by 1,890,658 people (not including Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, and Vietnam). I did not include SE Asian countries where men would come here to work.

Now, we can assume that males who did come with the females engaged in prostitution, but I feel this would be offset by the fact that %wise, males make a larger portion of visitors to Thailand based on business. So these offset.

We're left with the figure of 1,890,658. Assuming all these "sex tourists" vanish, then that's multiplied 8.19 days @ 3,774 baht per day and we get a sex-tourist value of 58,438 million baht.

So, let's say there's a multiplier effect of this money of 1.5x. That's 87,657 million. Divide that by 5,938,900 million of 2003 GDP and you get less than 1.5% of GDP.

I still believe the % is overstated in a number of ways, but it's not bad. BOT GDP isn't real GDP as the black market is HUGE in thailand. Tons of visitors come here for business, thus there would be a disproportionate number of male visitors that we lopped off. In any event, the number ain't bad. 1.5% is a burp. It ain't no big thing for a country straddling developing and developed world status.

<<burp>>

"sex workers are simply, IMO, a good bunch, hardly the worse that Thailand has in store for farangs or anyone."

P127, I'm pretty sure U didn't mean as a joke, and U're right if that was the worst Thailand had in store for farang...well... wouldn't be that many farangs around. but a "simply a good bunch"?!? Very naive and simple IMO

Very naive and simple IMO

---------------------------

Impossible. If i was naive i would not have lasted* in Pattaya for so many years, and i've been acquainted with too many, to speak out of ignorance. By acquainted, i mean knowing them not especially as sex partner, but on a daily basis, month after month, away from the bars and gogos, where I do not go that much to begin with. I do understand that for a lot, this is the setting in which they only see them. May influence their thinking.

But yes, they're no worse than any other thais, as a group and as individuals.

*some spell trouble. I ain't denying that.

[color:"red"] Impossible. If i was naive i would not have lasted* in Pattaya for so many years, [/color]

Wow, now are you saying that Pattaya is a trying place? :D

IMO, It is the way ones think and perceive P127. Also, some people like you do get to know these people outside the bars. I had a pleasure of meeting the ex-BGs that I remember with fond memories, there are, unfortunately, more bad ones that I have bad tastes in my mouth.

I also, met some educated ones who are devious (with no excuse) and I found them worse than the BGs or ex-BGs, period.

Jasmine

rompandadam said:bar leads her to believe she will actively be not re-employed without the buy out fee..also she will not be welcome there as a visitor...

Not bloody likely. She is a good earner for that bar.

Can you say "high pressure sales tatics" boys and girls? I thought you could. <RIP Mr. Rogers>

Cheers,

SD

Archived