Are ex-whoremongers hypocrits?

MrX

check_bin_krap said:

And yes, when did life become so serious? ::

Started in uni when during graduation they told me that I was important and my mission given my new degree was to make a difference in the world. I realized the seriousness of life one year later when creditors were calling me and sending past due notices because I was up to my ass in credit card debt.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LP,

It was absolutely not directed at you.

It was a follow-up to an important statement that HT made that seemed to get overlook by his critics.

People read what they only what they want to read (argue for or against) and he made an interesting observation that people didn't want to address....

best regards,

Cardinalblue

Zorro,

Good point about stickman's not being a hypocrit. For someone to be a hypocrit, one must be currently partaking in what he is presently criticizing.

The actual title of the post is an impossibility if the person is an "ex" then he is no longer a whoremonger and thus cannot meet the dictionary's definition of a hypocrit. All others stated in this thread are just unubstantiated and unfounded opinions.

The one thing i disagree with you on is I doubt his views and beliefs changed since he or anyone else's (since this thread is not about stickman) first participated in the scene. People's moral belief system is usually set at an early age (whether strict father or nurturant parent morality) so it pretty much doesn't change throughout one's life; only people's actions and politics do....

Cardinalblue

My example is NOT rationalization, though I did put that in there.

In my example, the website is not adding to the revenues of the tobacco industry (I can understand the argument of advertising contributing to the revenue stream but we'd differ there because I'm of the strick belief that there should be no censorship, including choosing advertising).

As for Stick, I still believe logically you guys are standing on jack shit with regards to the website.

Now if you were to say his patronization of nightlife bars... then that would be arguable. This, logically, to me, isn't even arguable.

<<burp>>

To all, I will come clean here for the record. I am a whoremonger, sort of in the process of trying to clean my act up. All for love or stupidity...one in the same maybe? in any event, I am still a hypocrite, in many areas of my life, not just P4P or nightlife. Many of us are. So I hesitate to point a finger and call someone else a hypocrite without first "looking in the mirror" so to speak, "clean up my own back yard and remember it was a mess before I call the other guy a slob..." I advise the same to all.

Stickman,

You have a column? a websight? wow, I'll have to check it out... I always thought they called you stickman because you carry that pool cue around, or had a big dick...wait that was Gummi with the pool cue, or was it the big dick...? anyway, I am against big dicks and pool cues, even though I have one of each...now that is hypocracy...what were we talking about? oh yeah, hypocrites and whoremongers...I'll take either, as I am both...

For someone to be a hypocrit, one must be currently partaking in what he is presently criticizing.

-------------------------

crap. It would be like saying a drug dealer is not an hypocrite when he says the drug scene is bad and should be done with, just because he does not shoot, sniff or smoke.

Nothing to do with Stick. If he was in the US or Europe, doing just what he's doing in other medias (radio, Newspaper), he'd feel the heat from many corners, about keeping nightlife a high profile in his outfit, while advocating scraping the P4P scene. But he's in thailand, where everything can or will happen, and its contrary too. All within one person sometimes...... ::

Stick is not going to jeopardize a successful site that pays bills and maybe more, just to follow his moral mores (just in the nature of doing business in many corners), if it is true he advocates scraping the P4P tourist scene, BTW as i would not know, not being one of his readers.

Maybe Stick started off his column in another state of mind and his interests was different than today. And he's too lazy and doesn't bother changing it into something else, heck - it makes some bucks now and then.

Conflicts of interest.. Well, everyone talks bad about hookers in the business anyway. They are just low life crap who can be used and thrown away. Cause its not really people, is it?

The debate is to whether his public site versus his public statements constitutes hypocrisy.
I have read quotes here of Stick's so-called "public statements" that have all come from his "public site". So his public statements don't in any way conflict with his public site. They are his public site, one in the same. It is not hypocrisy in any way.

If your point is that a journalist must only write about institutions which he supports or activities in which he participates, it is foolish. Journalists do it every day.

Is it hypocritical if a newspaper accepts whiskey advertising, but a columnist writes a piece about the dangers of drinking?

No, it's not. A newspaper that runs such a column without regard for the advertiser would be congratulated for not worrying that the ad will be pulled.

Stick has been open and honest about what he believes. Covering nightlife does not make him a hypocrit unless he pretended chasing BGs is what he enjoyed. He doesn't.

I smiled as I was reading his complaint that he would write more of this or that if he had time. The lament of every journalist alive or dead.

Archived