Bangkok Nightlife Falling Behind Other Areas...

Koh Samui has that huge after hours place. No taxi's though. I rent a motorcycle for a few hundred baht.

Last time in Koh Samui I was bitten by a spider next to my eye while I was sleeping.

the pickens were somewhat slim as well - not bad though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's getting to the point that Patpong feels like a continuous happy hour compared to Nana/Cowboy. A 100 baht note comfortably handles your drink AND tip plus you have the option of going to actual happy hours or finding 50 baht drink specials. The other districts you feel cheap having to scrape 15 baht coins back off the tray for your often 125 baht drink; not my idea of fun. At patpong you don't have to know any secret handshakes or have luck because there is showing going on all night, every night at well known bars. The variety of things to do is a major plus; NEP is getting so one dimensional with even woodstock folding to become another cookie cutter gogo. In patpong, gogos ran until 2am the last time I was there with other places staying open even later. All of that contributes to make it a winner to me.
Hmmm... Maybe I need to reconsider Patpong. After reading the posts here, I am certainly going to pay it a visit.

As to late night venues, the rolled shutter door places (I think that is how Nervous Dog described them), don't appeal to me. Nor do places that require secret hand shakes.

To put this in a Patpong context, what I am looking for are places such as Lucifers that stay open past 2 am. Are there such places like that now in Patpong? PM if you feel uncomfortable posting in public, but if a place like Lucifers is open late, I can't imagine how the MiB could miss it.

What goes around comes around. I agree with farangman. Diversity is a major key. Other than Safari and Goldfingers in Pat1, I like the "toned down" enviornment of Pat2. Cosmos, Crown Royal, the hostess clubs. Thai Room and Bobby's Arms for food. AND, you are actually able to navigate the soi without tripping over exposed electric wires and being accosted by the hoards in Pat1.

Fman>>"Have to agree with you in that Patpong is by far my favourite area. Just the diversity of the place makes it my number 1. It gets a lot of unnecessary bad press from people who go there maybe once or twice every 2 years and don't know the fun places to hang out."

I think the key to enjoying Patpong is firstly to go there with an open mind and secondly to persevere with the place for a short while.

Many people hate the place just after one visit, but if you get to know more people in the area the place can be great fun.

So many people say they are pissed off by the touts and the night market, but to be honest I rarely seem to notice them or get wound up by them. You get just as much hassle from the touts as you enter Nana, or even the hello girls on Cowboy.

Patpong II has no touts at all and as mentioned earlier has a great variety of bars like Cosmos, Crown royal Patpong Cafe etc.

Things are a lot cheaper in Patpong as well. In my regular bar there, I pay 1400 baht for a bottle of Jack with free mixers. The most expensive bar that I regularly use there, a bottle of Jack costs me 1800 baht with free mixers.

Also people reckon that Patpong is just a tourists' sideshow. Time to break that myth, because there are far more expats that regularly drink in Patpong than any of the other areas.

All in all, Patpong is definitely my favouriote bar area. Try it again sometime and give it another chance. You're welcome to join me down there any night :)

Cheers

farangman

I haven't visited Patpong for a quite some time mainly because it is geographically inconvenient (not on the way home from work), but the boosterism here for Patpong has piqued my curiosity. A few questions:

1. What time are Go Go bars closing these days? In NEP it's 1 am, and although one hour might not seem like much, the earlier closing times definitely make it less sanook. Nightlife has a natural rythim to it, and 1 am closings are way out of sync with that rythim. Are they closing at 2 am now in Patpong?

2. Are there places open past 2 am? In particular, discos such as Lucifers? The shuttered door venues mentioned by some really don't interest me.

3. Shows. Ping pong banana...shows with Thai woman aged 40+ don't count. Do they have Angelwitch quality shows with Pattaya showing standards?

If the answers to some or all of these questions are positive, I suspect the center of Bangkok's farang oriented nightlife - for both tourists and ex-pats - will shift from Sukhumvit to Silom. Can anyone here provide an honest and frank assessment of the scene these days in Patpong?

Dog and All,

Patpong used to be my favorite place in BKK years ago. I haven't been there now in a couple of years. Cowboy is still a good bit of fun, and some nice lasses to look at and fondle.

Having said that, I've been in Cowboy and in Pattaya during the past two weeks or so. As far as I am concerned Walking Street wins hands down if we are talking of gogo bars, showing, hours, pretty ladies, and raunchy sanuk! Best time I've had in a few years was very recently in Pattaya Walking Street gogos. Reminds me of the way BKK used to be a few years back before the moral brigade started screwing with the times and showing in BKK. Try Diamond Agogo in Walking Street. Best bar I've been in in a while. Also Carousel in Walking Street was a good time. Lots of showing and pretty pussy around that area! Great shows from Diamond, and Carousel as well. (The Hobby Horse on stage with the banana sticking out of it's ass was a hoot, as was the oil show and a few others. Nice staff in both bars and much fun and showing.) Highly recommended by me.

Dog, next time I'm down that way let's do a night in Patpong. Haven't been there in ages and I'd like to check out a few old hangouts there myself! ::

Cent

We (wife and I) almost always go to Papong when we go out. Never been in a go-go there, there are several non-go-go places with live bands that can really get going. Closing is at 1:00 (or so), but I know that at one place the party just moves upstairs and can go way past 3.

TH

Archived