In Thai how would I say

khwaimaisabai said:

Hi sd,

I though na glua meant frightening.

Glua means "to be afraid" - afaik. Tokjai is an alternative but is less strong than glua, I believe, but both can mean "I am scared".

Khwai

Aye yer right. Insert brain before putting mouth in gear (heck, I even forgot the "L" in the spelling LOL). But my grammitics are correct.

Tok jai is like "startled".

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pom_Jao_Choo said:

I stand ready to be corrected but my understanding of the word is the same as OH's.

In some instances men use the feminant, like when they speak of the love for a woman to be more personable. To step down from their position as the dominant male and state that the love is based on a position as an equal.

And women will at times use the masculine if they are asserting themselves like in a board room meeting correcting a naughty son etc....

This was sort of my understanding as well...could be wrong...

actually, as I think of it...there might not be a gender nuetral way to address of one self...it would be either or. Except of course for the exceptions you mention...I'll ask my teacher in an email...

Chan is used by guys. With good friends. You hear it in songs all the time where they guy says, "Chan rak blah blah barf barf projectile vomit arf arf."

As for nah, it's used to turn a verb into an adjective.

glua - to be afraid / nah glua - frightful

beua - to be bored / nah beua - boring

gin - to eat / nah gin - tasty (never heard this used though)

son jai - to be interesting / nah son jai - interesting

yoo - to live / nah yoo - very livable

and the one everyone knows.... (drum roll)

rak - to love / nah rak - lovable

Freak'n A, this learning might actually be starting to pan out!!!

<<burp>>

O.k. here is the answer from my teacher...pretty much what Pom_Michael said I guess...

"...Good question! I like it when my students continue to ponder Thai even after the school is over! It's an anti-regression strategy.

In fact "Chan" is unisex. However, it is used more commonly by women than men.

Only "Dichan" is exclusively for female

Men use "Chan" in the following circumstances.

1) It is a common 1st person pronoun used by little boys or adolescents who have not yet outgrown the habit.

2) It is occasionally used by a male adult when he is being playful or cuddly, sort of mocking a young woman. This kind of playfulness is mostly reserved for someone he is very close to, such as .his parent, grandparent, relatives, or gal buddy

3) A male (and female) adults will use "Chan" seriously and officially when he is addressing someone of obviously lower status, such as maids, housekeepers, cheauffers, gardeners, gofers,great grandchildren. royal subjects. or a beggar or homeless person on the street,

Those progressive few who is averted to class system, may deliberately avoid using "Chan"

by skipping 1st person pronoun from the sentence altogether. But I don't think they will go as far as using "Pom", as the implication of deferrence to such individuals are out of place. and

border-line pretentious.

Woman who uses "krup" are

1) playfully mimicking a guy or

2) if she uses it all the time, she is a tom-boy or a gay/butch (called TOM, in Thai)

However, they tends to favor an abbreviated version of "Krab" which is "Ha"

Hope this helps..."

Archived