Is China A 'Paper' Tiger?

Steve

I am curious Alholk, which country are your parents from?

You write a lot of sense.

Yes, the US/Viet war is not forgotten in Viet Nam. But, actually, its so much hyped up in Viet Nam that people are fed up. Its kinda late with propaganda posters about that event now. US were there a short time. The French longer - and the Chinese longest. My personal view is that its reflected in many Viets attitude vs all these countries, and none of them are loved. Compared to the Scandi countries for example. But the Viets don't fear US. Funnily enough, when you consider their leaders propaganda. I would rank the don't like barometer according to how long these countries were in Viet Nam.

Of course, tourists with money are loved whereever they come from.

But, its more complex also. Viet Nam might be one country in name, but North and South views are very different. My family is from the North. My views are coloured by this.

Chinese - the last war was in the late 80's. Of course they fear the Chinese.

Cheers!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese - the last war was in the late 80's. Of course they fear the Chinese.

The 'take' that we got on that little border skirmish was that the Vietnamese 'won' (!). I do know that they've taken on 3 superpowers in 40 years, and all 3 have been left wondering what-the-hell they were doing there in the first place. Pol Pot's murderous regime also got a nasty surprise when they took on the Viets. Its a shame they havent invaded North Korea .....

Its interesting that many Vietnamese just want to put these memories behind them and get on with the business of making a living, but the anecdotal evidence that we are fed back in Oz is that both the NVA and the Australian/Kiwi forces had (and still have) a lot more respect for one another than either party had for the bulk of the American military in SVN. Most of the documentaries on battles like Long Tan feature interviews with men who clearly recognised the other side as worthy opponents - very little of the 'gook-this' and 'gook-that' crap we see in 'Full Metal Jacket' etc. That said, the Americans bore the brunt of the fighting, often with little training and poor leadership - not exactly a recipe for a successful outcome.

I will quote the excellent site The history guy

"Sino-Vietnam War--Feb. 17-Mar. 16, 1979-- Similar to the difficulties between Cambodia and Vietnam, the Hanoi regime enjoyed good relations with China during the war against the United States and South Vietnam, but once that conflict ended, ideological and historical differences interfered with Sino-Vietnamese relations. Using the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia as a pretext, China launched a massive attack along their common border. Vietnam's border troops put up a very good defense, causing major casualties to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). Within a month of the invasion, China basically declared that it had taught Hanoi a lesson and withdrew. Results of this war include: moving Hanoi closer to the Soviet Union, which was a rival of China; a modernization of the PLA as China realized they did not do very well against a smaller country; and the beginning of a long-lasting but low-level border conflict with between Vietnam and China. (See below).

Sino-Vietnam Border Conflict--1980-1987?-- After the Chinese invasion of Vietnam in 1979, continued warfare and infiltration along the border kept these two neighbors in a state of low-level warfare. The two Communist neighbors now maintain cordial relations, but further research is needed to ascertain when the cross-border raids and artillery exchanges ended."

There is more to this than a small border skirmish, though the major conflict was in '79. Not late 80's as I wrote. Sorry.

I think the North Viets got respect from their opponents because of their attributes. I have never come across more stubborn people than them, must be a force in war. The South are more slack. They enjoy partying and life more though :D More easy going and like Thai's maybe?

Cheers!

Hi!

My parents came from Canada. My father came from a Swedish family and my mother from an English Canadian family.

It is my opinion that people tend to remember the latest invasion. I learned this in the Philippines in 1991 when I was there. I have never been to a country where the hatred against Americans was so obvious. The Spanish on the other hand were much revered even though they had been a colonial power before the yanks.

regards

ALHOLK

I see Alholk. I agree about the hatred of the Americans in the Phillipines. It made problems for me on occasions when I went there also, and was mistaken for one.

As you write, Spanish culture is held in high regard there.

I do think that its a shame that the elite there disregard their own culture though.

My sis in law is a Phillipina BTW.

Cheers!

My Norwegian grandfather lived in Canada some years, on a visit back to Norway he met my grandmum and never returned to Canada.

Probably the kindest person I have come across is a Canadian girl. A dear friend of mine. And another Canadian, male friend of mine is one of the wildest - a producer of advertisement movies. I like Canadians a lot!

Cheers!

chocolat steve said:

2 questions. Is the Chinese economy a bit overstated and they are susceptible to a crash on the next big economic downturn and if they do replace the USA as the next super power is there anything to fear?

Dunno if you are asking me spesificially CS.

Yes, you can see I fear China as superpower. No, I don't believe in a Chinese crash in a long time. Maybe later when their economy has developed more and they have gotten rich enough to gamble. I think thats some years off though..

I'm on the other side. I believe China will crash (or recession) within the next 10 years.

It's something new, there's not a lot of transparent information on it, there's tons of speculation and lots of corruption. How can it not bubble up in some way shape or form?

<<burp>>

Archived