Is China A 'Paper' Tiger?

Steve

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a little disingenuous to say America was in WW2 to protect economic markets. The threat of Hitler and fascism was obvious. If it was about money, then the Marshall Plan which infused billions into post war Europe is a strange way to make money. The world was in a depression at that time, no one was doing well. Fascism was seen eventually for what it was. England, holding out as long as it has, till we (general population) got our heads out of the sand, is indication that it was no choice. The Fascists had to to be stopped at all costs.

As for Iraq, I won't touch that. Opinions are strong on both sides of the issue and if it was that easy to win that argument as to why, it wouldn't be debated. The WW2 opinion given above is a very minority viewpoint.

As for China. Any ideas that the forces of free market, capitalism, foreign investment will force the present government to become more democratic? Can its government in its present form survive long term given the economic growth that is happening? A good point was raised about the chinese currency pegged to ours. I wonder if eventually it will be linked to the euro if it hasn't already? The euro seems to be growing as the currency of choice globally.

Hi!

I think its a little disingenuous to say America was in WW2 to protect economic markets.

Actually it was not me who made that statement although I do agree to an extent. America entered the WWII after being attacked at Pearl Harbour. Europe had gone up in flames long time before that. Grantedly the US had supported the UK with equipment and beneficial loans before that but there was no real concern about Europe as such, only their own trade. As for the Marshall plan it is rather is rather clear that this was not entirely of altruistic motives. Many European countries were in ruins. To turn them into useful trade partners they had to be started up in someway. The Marshall plan was connected to political conditions. Make no mistake about that.

As for China. Any ideas that the forces of free market, capitalism, foreign investment will force the present government to become more democratic?

The free market and capitalism is already in place to a large extent. It is the politcal system that is a communist dictatorship. I once asked an English bloke, living in HK, what whould happen when the Chinese took over. His reply was that a few political loudmouths might be in trouble but otherwise it would be business as usual. Today we know that he was right. I think that China is under constant change and there will come a time when a significant number of people will demand democrasy. In these days it will come faster than it used to because of the immensly increased information flow today. This is an information flow that is impossible to control for any government even if they are trying very hard.

I wonder if eventually it will be linked to the euro if it hasn't already? The euro seems to be growing as the currency of choice globally.

I think the Euro has a long way to go before it becomes the number one currency if it ever does due to political turbulenc but it could happen. When I grew up the Brittish pound was still number one. Today it's quite far down the list.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

My response was to a post by the original poster who's issue was the future development of China and how it affects other countries. A significant part of my posts were about this particular topic. Other parts were about historical events and their consequenses.

regards

ALHOLK

What makes the "power" of a country?

First, economy:

China is getting more and more market parts everywhere, yes there are whole parts of their economy which are still "archaics".

It seems that the next economical power

(except a revolution/civil war) will be China no more USA or Europe.

Second, military: China has never been a "paper tiger" for this part of the world

(remember the korean war: China had jsut won the civil war and its army was at best, qualified of obsolete, nonetheless they kicked ass of the UN troops, US/UK/France etc...)

but now, equipped with the best mix possible of occidental and russian equipment they are more than a superpower.

(and this is a nuclear superpower too)

The only "forces" able to counter them would be Europe

(too far and not a unified military force)

and USA: but without any means of massive troops deployment.

So we could say that China is the big boss for Asia.

my 2 satangs

Archived