Creationism vs Intelligent design vs Evolution

khunsanuk

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/1...robertson.reut/

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the influential Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has made similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements before.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of leftist Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez, one of President George W. Bush's most vocal international critics.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia, "The 700 Club."

"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because he might not be there," he said.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will never forget taking a Theology course at a Catholic University when I was 18 years old (required course).

One of the items covered was proof of the existence of God. The basic idea was the wonder of it all couldn't have just happened (the planets revolving around the sun, the large number of suns in a galaxy, the size of the universe and so on. Well, the proof of the existence of God was that the wonder of it all couldn't have happend by chance. It must have been created.

Well, it immediately seemed to me that the odds of some entity existing that could create "the wonder of it all" would have to exceed the odds that the "the wonder of it all" could just have happened.

As a proof of the existence of God, I thought this was childish and ridiculous.

I had heard the name Rev. Billy Graham many times and was aware he had performed a huge number of "crusades" in over a hundred countries for about 50 years. I had seen pictures of him but had never heard him speak in person or on TV until a couple of months ago. I saw the last Larry King interview of Billy Graham. I expected Billy to be brilliant and eloquent, even if I did not agree with him. After all, millions of people over the years had been anxious to hear him speak.

Well, his big message and proof of the existence of God was the same old "wonder of it all". Except updated to due updated "scientific" knowledge. There are even more galaxies than we thought before, etc, etc, so, and intelligent being must have created this (and again, I can' get past - where did this intelligent being come from, wouldn't the existence of this being have to be even more incredible and less likely?

In truth, the existence of anything and how it could be - the universe , God, whatever, is beyond me. Can't imagine it but I can feel the keyboard as I type this.

And, I don't believe any human know if God exists. Maybe, maybe not.

I also believe religions have been created by man and reflect the opinions and deficiencies of those people who have decided they "know" and feel the need to force their "knowledge" onto others.

Has anything caused more angst and ill feeling and destruction then those who "know"?

Church: Anti-war sermon imperils tax status

Officials say IRS has warned church over pre-election message

Monday, November 7, 2005

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The Internal Revenue Service has warned a prominent liberal church it could lose its tax-exempt status because of an anti-war sermon a guest preacher gave on the eve of the 2004 presidential election, church officials say.

The Rev. George F. Regas did not urge parishioners at All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena to support either President Bush or John Kerry, but he was critical of the Iraq war and Bush's tax cuts.

The IRS warned the church in June that its tax-exempt status was in jeopardy because such organizations are prohibited from intervening in political campaigns and elections.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/07/antiwar.sermon.ap/

good post, TM.

Not sure if it's on topic, for me it is:

some years ago, a documentary on the Dalai Lama (was in the bay area last week-end, BTW) had him in some conference with other luminaries, and at the end of the colloquium, each speaker was asked to answer how they saw the world evolving in the next 50 years. Everyone came up and tried to be smart and perspicacious, thne last came the Dalai lama who just quipped: "You ask me what will happen in the next 50 years, how can I know, i don't even have any idea what i will have for dinner tonight!" :D

That's religion to me. Nothing to reach, no God, no tables of law, no past, no future. it's now or never, and you can't share it, let alone teach it. As the ZEN saying says, "if you can't be happy now, you'll never be".

That's the worse thing institutionnalized christiniaty has done to the world, the invention of paradise as someting worth dying (therefore killing for) for.

Well, Christ knew few were getting the point, as he said

" the kindom of Heaven is spread amongst the Earth, and people do not see it". About as Buddhist as you can make Old jezzie boy....Now, and nowhere else, at any time.

people are still not getting it, and still confusing the messenger with the message. Ignorance is bliss and helps sell arms! ::

Suadum,

I think this came from one of your earlier posts in this thread.

"And the real problem is that the "American Taliban" simply do not see that they are every bit as bad as the "radical Islamists" they so demonise. "

And the other part of the problem is the "radical Islamists" don't see they are every bit as bad as the "American Taliban" they so demonise.

Both sides, "blindly radical". Exactly the same.

A couple of bits of infomation about Bush in this regard. He prays in the morning and asks for divine guidance. Then, in order to make decisions he only needs to check his "moral compass". He is unemcumbered by the need to accumulate relevant information and consider this information. This is reflected in his statements that he doesn't have to know what other nations think in order to know what is right for America. And, since he is always correct, since he has divine guidance, he doesn't have to reconsider his decisions. Thus, he was accurate when he ran for re-election and made the claim that he is steadfast and the American people will know that he will not change his position as his opponent John Kerry often did.

As an American, what I find discouraging is that John Kerry is the best the Democrats could come up with as an opponent to Bush.

I recently read "Plan of Attach" by Bob Woodward. (speaking of Rove, Bush's senior advisor, in the epilogue, discussing John Kerry) "Rove eyebrows were jumping up and down as he read (the record of John Kerry on Iraq), "my personal favorite, he said, quoting from Kerry on the day the war started, "I think Sadam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction are a threat, and that's why I voted to hold him accountable and to make certain we would disarm him". Of course, when the aftermath of the war turned sour, Rove noted, Kerry started backing away, arguing that he had not voted for war but only to give the President the power to threaten war. Well, Rove and the rest of the country knew that the resolution clearly gave the President the approval to use the military in Iraq.

"Rove believed they had Kerry pretty cold on voting to give the president the green light for war and then backing off when he didn't like the aftermath or saw the political opportunity.

As we know with the benefit of hindsight, in his campaign for re-election, Bush was able to turn his steadfastness (divine guidance) into an asset because the best the Democrats could do was offer Kerry, who had obviously waffled and been inconsitent, as an alternative.

And, here we are....

Its somewhat embarrasing to most Kansans (adaptation of biblical creation over evolution but we has lots of right wing Christians in the Kansas City/Johnson county area and they all vote and put their own kind in government positions. We are also the State that allows marriage of 13 year olds (so, what else can you expect from Kansas legislators). However, Johnson County, where most of the fundamentalist live, is one of the richest counties in the U.S., so I think that you do have to worry about your daughter's chances of getting into Stanford over the application of Kansas, whose parents are wealthy and connected (I thought that you would send them to U.M. anyway). By the way, thats not a map of Kansas but looks more like a map of Missouri.

Tiger Moth said:

Bush was able to turn his steadfastness (divine guidance) into an asset because the best the Democrats could do was offer Kerry, who had obviously waffled and been inconsitent, as an alternative.

I think that the "waffleing" thing is a GOP made up issue. Not necessarily saying this about Kerry (I am a Dean, not a Kerry supporter), but a sign of intelligence is a man who reconsiders an issue when new evidence comes to light and is willing to change his opinion because of that.

We all know that Bush will never change his mind or even adjust his course no matter what happens. I do not see that as a glowing trait in a leader, no matter if GOP or Dem.

Regards,

SD

"We all know that Bush will never change his mind or even adjust his course no matter what happens. I do not see that as a glowing trait in a leader, no matter if GOP or Dem."

Unless Bush has the direct communication with "God", as he seems to think he does, I would go one step further and say his approach is insane.

Archived