Any comment would be superfluous! :doah::banghead:

Cheers,

SD

++++++++++++++

The strange case of supernatural water

Florida tested ?Celestial Drops? to see if they warded off citrus canker

By David Park Musella

Updated: 3:08 p.m. ET Nov. 15, 2005

Florida's citrus crop contributes billions of dollars to the state's economy, so when that industry is threatened, anything that might help is considered. Back in 2001, when citrus canker was blighting the crop and threatening to reduce that vital source of revenue, an interesting ? if not quite scientific ? alternative was considered.

Republican Katherine Harris, then Florida's secretary of state ? and now a member of the U.S. House of Representatives ? ordered a study in which, according to an article by Jim Stratton in the Orlando Sentinel, "researchers worked with a rabbi and a cardiologist to test ?Celestial Drops,' promoted as a canker inhibitor because of its ?improved fractal design,' ?infinite levels of order,' and ?high energy and low entropy.'"

The study determined that the product tested was, basically, water that had apparently been blessed according to the principles of Kabbalic mysticism, "chang[ing] its molecular structure and imbu[ing] it with supernatural healing powers."

Citrus canker is a bacterial disease that affects all citrus trees. Caused by a bacterium, Xanthomonas axonopodis, citrus canker can be spread from tree to tree by windborne rain, the movements of birds and other animals, and human activity, such as improper disposal of infected trees and fruit. The bacterium causes brown, crusted lesions with yellow haloes to appear on the surfaces of leaves and the skin of fruit, reducing the leaves' photosynthetic capacity and stunting the growth and preventing the maturation of the fruit.

The only accepted means of fighting the blight is the downing of affected trees and proper disposal of their remains.

The Florida state government is frequently bombarded with new supposed cures and preventatives. Most of them are not tested by the state with government funds. But in this one case, at least, it appears that an exception was made: Six months were spent establishing testing protocols and, finally, testing Celestial Drops. In a letter to the state government, Wayne Dixon, the head of Florida's Bureau of Entomology, Nematology and Plant Pathology, reported that the "product is a hoax and not based on any credible known science." He added, "I wish to maintain our standing in the scientific community and not allow [the developers of Celestial Drops] to use our hard-earned credibility" to promote their product.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that God is sitting up in heaven saying "well, it's just about time to flush this toilet called Earth." He probably sits up there screening new entrants to the pearly gates:

" Jimmy Swaggart nice to see you. Now let's see you told all your parishioners that sex outside of marriage was evil and then you get caught getting to know a hooker in the biblical sense, Off to hell with you."

"Ah yes, Father Flannigan. Decided to sample one or two of my choir boys did you? Do you know that I hold children in a special part of my heart? Well I've got an equally special place in hell for you."

"Mohammed Atta. They told you there would be 72 virgins waiting for you in paradise? Guess what, killing 3,000 innocents gets you 72 millennia in fires far hotter than the ones you made with your jets."

"OH, hmmmm. Well it actually is gay, my son. But gay never got anyone kicked out of heaven. Now the minister crap....that we need to talk about......."

"Fiery Jack...................Fiery Jack.....................uhhhhhh.........well......I haven't even the slightest clue as to what to do with you........"

"Gummi........well as a white man trying to play a black pimp trapped in an Asian body....you have suffered long enough...your in."

"Sayjann.........you remember that old guy you decided to take on the extra long extended route to the airport? That was me...............................well you're not such a bad lad. A little off maybe..........I guess I'll give you two weeks in ugly, middle age Lao Thermae reject purgatory for your sins."

"Lazyphil, welcome my son. Anyone who truly believes in the beauty of mushy peas must certainly be forgiven for greater transgressions. Much like a small child must be forgiven for soiling their pants because they're just so darned cute."

"Limbo, for promoting the evil empire as one of its standard bearers, aka CDs, you would normally be sent to Hell subsection 20 - the realm of monopolistic marketing. But as you have to put up with the C. man as a boss (and few can in the long run) all is forgiven."

"BB, just because you were chosen for the starting team don't let it go to your head. That incident with the four dwarves, the shaving cream, and 50 meters of bungee cord is not yet forgotten."

"P127, well......you.....hmmmm.....well, you're French.......so you really have no need for an excuse........I mean any people that build a Maginot line and leave most of Belgium and Ardennes Forest undefended need all the breaks they can get in the afterlife."

"KS, yes......my nemesis.......the dark lord of the world wide web.......for you I have reserved a special place....oh crap Father Flannigan is already there...hmmmm...what to do....OK, I have an idea...............I banish you to a theater where all the plays are written by MightyMouse and acted out by Fly."

"The great OZ has spoken.......let it be so"

• 8 months later...

Just an update; in Kansas state elections two weeks ago, the composition of the Kansas Board of Education switched from a majority of fundamentalists/creationists to a majority of evolutionists. So, for at least two years, you shouldn't see any news articles about only creation being taught in Kansas schools.

Don't fret. When the GOP wins again in November -- and I think they will cuz I have lost complete faith in the intelligence of the voting population AND the equality of the electoral process -- they'll make a Constitutional Amendment to change the science to fit their fantasies (creationism, global warming, WMDs, etc). I mean, they already do it now, so this would just be a formality.

But for now, good news from the homefront Dean!

Cheers,

SD

Why not just tell "both sides" and let the person make up their own mind?

Yes, the students are young but if their parents, say believe in creation and have a firm religious foundation, then what to worry about? and vica versa for evolution.

IMO...all the whiners are weak minded and are afraid that someone will be unduly swayed.

State the facts or beliefs and let the individual sort it out! Time to move on, like there are some real life and death issues to settle.

Why not just tell "both sides" and let the person make up their own mind?...

State the facts or beliefs and let the individual sort it out! ...

Tere are no "sides". There are facts and there are beliefs.

Not to you, Cav, but why can't they get it straight.

There is scence and there is religion. 2 separate, distinct systems. Not mutually exclusive.

It's like saying "I don't believe in trains, because I believe in apples".

Archived