Thai idioms

khunsanuk

Hi,

Mekhong mentioned a Thai idiom in another thread which has prompted this discussion.

The ones I know are:

pai ying krataay - going to shoot rabbits - taking a piss (guys)

pay daet dogmai - going to pick flowers - taking a piss (girls)

ngoo ngoo plaa plaa - snake snake fish fish - a little, 50-50

kwai kae yaak kin yaa oon - old buffalo likes to eat young grass - old guys like young girls

moew mai yuu, nuu .... - if the cat's away, the mice will play

I think I've heard of more, but can't think of them now. Anybody else have some to add?

Sanuk!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

actually not really 50-50; more for "a bit, a llittle"; i do not hear this very often. interesting that in chinese it is "ma ma hoo hoo" (horse horse tiger tiger) which is used pretty often.

khunsanuk said:moew mai yuu, nuu .... - if the cat's away, the mice will play

maew mai yuu, nu raroeng (= frolic; sometimes also they use the more common word ten = dance)

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Mekhong mentioned a Thai idiom in another thread which has prompted this discussion.

The ones I know are:

pai ying krataay - going to shoot rabbits - taking a piss (guys)

pay daet dogmai - going to pick flowers - taking a piss (girls)

kwai kae yaak kin yaa oon - old buffalo likes to eat young grass - old guys like young girls

moew mai yuu, nuu .... - if the cat's away, the mice will play

Pay geb dogmai, that`s the way I hear it.

Wua kae yaak kin yaa orn, for some reason I usually hear the word for cow/bull instead of buffalo. There are probably several variations.

Bid fai dtee maew - turn off the light and beat the cat.

Laang Nah Gai - wash the chicken`s face

:)

Cheers

Hua nguu

Hi,

samak:

"actually not really 50-50; more for "a bit, a llittle";"

You are right of course :)

"Bid fai dtee maew - turn off the light and beat the cat."

I think I've heard this one before. Slang for having sex, right?

"Laang Nah Gai - wash the chicken`s face"

This one is new. What does it mean?

Sanuk!

Wow,

Some of the drivel I post starts a secondary thread which is non contravertial.

Mah Mong Khrueng Bin.

Maybe it is how my life was at the time when I heard this phrase. Once the Dog Staring at Airplane wing (dreaming of ideas above ones means) was explained to me, my friend then went on to tell me "khun mai mah dek, khun mah yai, pai nang khrueng bin", Literaly you are not a puppy you are big dog go sit on Airplane wing (I took it as Don't Talk about it Do It). I don't know if it was my thirst to understand Thai(asian) mentality or just the right words said when they were needed, but it means a lot to me.

Ngu Ngu Pla Pla

Snake Snake Fish Fish, as I mentioned in Asiafuns report, from my way of trying to get along peacefully here there is a lot more to the words than the actual words themselves, context has a big meaning on the overall picture.

From my limited exposure ngu ngu pla pla has 2 meanings which are both opposites. If someone was to tell me "Khun kao jai Ngu Ngu Pla Pla" it means they think I do not understand very well, yet if I was to say "Phom ruu Ngu Ngu Pla Pla" it indicates I know more than you think I do.

Nong Khrap Phom ruu ngu ngu pla pla arai gor dai som nam na khrap usually gets me a slap off the Wife (You presume I know very little Whatever, your problem).

Got to agree on Ma Ma Hoo Hoo, it is said more in jest and is a very common opening gambit when one is angling towards a pair of Chinese panties, when used with Mai Wen Thi (Mai Pen Rai) it is an ice breaker.

Life The Ultimate Game!

Archived