Violence in Living Doll

Paillote

Gadfly,

That is the attitude that I hear/see all the time. If you (the falang) were NOT in this country, then this problem/accident/incident would not have happened, so therefore you (the falang) are at fault.

I wonder if this logic is taught in school as it seems to be "normal"?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pom Michael said:

Gadfly,

That is the attitude that I hear/see all the time. If you (the falang) were NOT in this country, then this problem/accident/incident would not have happened, so therefore you (the falang) are at fault.

I wonder if this logic is taught in school as it seems to be "normal"?

Well if you think about it after a few beers it does kinda make sense. :)

The next time a thai calls you a 'cheap charlie', say: "who are you callin' charlie"...

paillote, lets think back together...lets say when you got up in her face and 'feigned' [not 'fainted OH] a headbut...lets just consider what do you think she would have done had you not made 'incidental' contact? Do you think she still would have popped you?

At this point it's damage control. The only thing that can make up for the unbelieveable loss of face you suffered is to do the unexpected...make people think you're nuts e.g.-head back and barfine her....or leave that area of Thailand for a while....

Any 'bad apple' who witnessed this is sizing you up and licking their chops at how easy it is to physically get the drop on you...certainly not the nicest thought but better safe than sorry.

All,

There is a problem Houston ... I would have to say that the scene described by Paillote already went overboard when she called him a Cheap Charlie and he replied with "Fuck you."

The problem being we farang are much less likely to take offense to the words, as we hear it all the time and it is a part of the language now to the point of not being considered extremely offensive and/or 'fighting words'. Sometimes, certainly, but it is used so frequently much of the sting has gone for us farang on hearing it.

Not so for Thais. For a Thai being told "Fuck you" is fighting words. Once Paillote said this the situation was bound to go to shit.

There is a Lao word (the word for buffalo) which in Thai means 'fuck you'. I'd say what it is but I don't want to be responsible for you guys getting your asses stomped when you use it when drunk or angry. Say it to a Thai and this is a reason to kick your ass. These are fighting words, same as the English words "fuck you" used to be decades ago, and still are in some circles and instances. Use them here and there will be a fight most times in the LOS.

This is what some here may not understand. Paillote seems to think telling her to fuck off or get fucked is not that bad. It IS here in Thailand.

Compound this with standing up and getting 'physical' (the feigned now-famous 'headbutt' and 'slight' head-to-head contact) and it is not surprising her reaction in my eyes and mind. Add in the booze, possible drug use, and lose of face for her if she now backs down from this 'farang' (said as a slur and not a descriptive by a lot of these lower class Thai women) and I think you, Mr. Paillote, were lucky indeed this didn't turn out much worse.

I am NOT defending her reaction, just trying to tell you 'fuck you' can lead to an escalation of violence here in Thailand it would likely not in the west in MOST instances. (Usually a retort of 'fuck you too' and some mutual glaring and chest puffing really is the response in the west.)

Your actions are not what I would recommend here in the LOS Paillote in response to a 'cheap charlie' retort when refusing to buy the tart another lady drink. What you should have done is what many here recommended already. Buy a few others lady drinks, but not her, or pay the tab and leave, or calling over the Mamasan and explaining why you are leaving and no longer spending money in her bar due to this lass' bullshit. Those are the responses that should have been used. Your response was the wrong one and led to your injury. Justified? No. Ridiculous and overly agressive on her part, but not to be unexpected really. But you played right into the whole thing by responding incorrectly in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong person.

Live and learn.

Cent

Cent,

This more less sums up my thought. As I said, we are looking at this from our western view point. To us, maybe all overkill on the TGs part...but to them, it was compleately logical, and the right thing to do...

Look, ask any man what should happen if he gets caught cheating on his GF or wife...or even talking bad...many women will think it is ok to castrate him, or at least kick him in the nuts...to us, un acceptable severe violence, to them it is o.k. all depends on who and where the decision is being made...play on their turf, accept their rules...or stay home.

OH,

My thoughts are this: many of the BG's love the drama and excitement this shit causes. It is a relief from their boring daily grind and better than a Thai soap opera really. Add to this the many times these women ARE mistreated by some of the punters (and they all have likely run into an asshole farang or two if they have been in the game long enough) and it is easy to see why this could happen and get easily out of control. Add in drugs and booze to the mix, a bad day, a recent encounter with an asshole farang ripping them off or treating them badly, her period/cramps/PMS, and also let us not forget the rivalries and head games they also play with each other and the struggle to get customers, or just plain hating the girl you may be sitting with who is her enemy and she may want to see her lose her customer/s, and you have a recipe for disaster at times. The 'wrong place/wrong time/wrong person' scenario.

Put in some cultural differences, cultural misunderstandings, lack of language skills on both sides, lack of education on her part/lack of education or time spent learning the ropes in this scene from the farang's side of it, and it is a wonder this doesn't happen more often, really. Plus the violent side of Thais that sometimes simmers below the surface and the smiles they show, AND throw in the concept of 'face'. Well, fuck me, is it any wonder these things sometimes go haywire for the littlest reason and what seems like sheer insanity and an over reaction from either side?

Now also consider the fact that many a Thai guy would love to get a chance to rat-pack a farang due to themselves having had a bad experience with said 'asshole' farangs themselves and knowing they can and will likely get away with doing so. Or even just because they are a chickenshit scoundrel that has no compunction against this sort of behavior.

Taking all these things into consideration any farang who says 'fuck you' to a Thai or tries to 'get physical' is just begging for trouble of the worst sort.

Like I said, live and learn. Luckily Paillote got away fairly unscathed with just a few stitches. It could have been much worse.

Cent

p.s. And for anyone who thinks I am 'defending' the Thais, you are so far off the mark it isn't even funny. Just know the rules, know your turf and realize where you are, be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. It ain't fucking Kansas any more Dorothy. Be careful what you say and do in these sort of circumstances. Forewarned is forearmed.

Yeah, but none of that justifies a couple of slaps, and with no real additional incitement, a beer mug.

Though I just thought of an interesting retort I'll use next time I hear Keeneow.

I'm going to point at them (maybe their ass if it's a girl) and say "kee" and then point to my dick and say "neow".

My next post might be from a hospital!

<<burp>>

Old Hippie said:

Cent,

This more less sums up my thought. As I said, we are looking at this from our western view point. To us, maybe all overkill on the TGs part...but to them, it was compleately logical, and the right thing to do...

Look, ask any man what should happen if he gets caught cheating on his GF or wife...or even talking bad...many women will think it is ok to castrate him, or at least kick him in the nuts...to us, un acceptable severe violence, to them it is o.k. all depends on who and where the decision is being made...play on their turf, accept their rules...or stay home.

For BG's and the phrase "FUCK YOU", they'd rather you do it to them than hearing it from you. Got it?.... :: :: ::

Cent said:

There is a Lao word (the word for buffalo) which in Thai means 'fuck you'. I'd say what it is but I don't want to be responsible for you guys getting your asses stomped when you use it when drunk or angry. Say it to a Thai and this is a reason to kick your ass. These are fighting words, same as the English words "fuck you" used to be decades ago, and still are in some circles and instances. Use them here and there will be a fight most times in the LOS.

Are you talking about the word 'kwai'? One girl, who seemed like the nicest girl ever showing me her apartment, saying I didn't have to pay her, having multiple orgasms, handwashing my clothes, crying her eyes out when I asked her to leave (yeah yeah the usual bullshit, just slightly more convincing), told me this word meant 'I'm fine' and told me it was good to say it to Thai people. Nice girl eh? Luckily I only found out when I said it to another girl and she said it's a very bad word that I should never say to a Thai person.

WL,

No. Kwai is Thai for buffalo. The Lao word for buffalo is different, though fairly similar, and in Thai is actually 'fuck you'.

Nice girl there. She was setting you up to get hurt. Yeah, calling a Thai Kwai is fighting words really unless you are close enough and friends just joking about.

Cent

p.s. And I definitely wouldn't call any strange Thai BG kwai, it basically means 'stupid' like a buffalo, and Thais don't take it very well when someone calls them stupid.

Archived