Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

Batty,

I would appreciate it if you answer my question before you sign off.

Some of us are trying to have a civilized discussion here. Ignore the minority who doesn't, please don't fuck it for the majority as often is the case.

Aesthete,

I still hold that in the states, I'd never let this type of thing happen when I was around, and it's more than fair to let your status as a foreigner interfere here in Thailand.

That's quite surprising and damn hard to believe. Could be true of course but just saying I have a hard time believing it.

I lived in Holland for 20+ years and I can't tell you how often people died because helping others when in need. IMO Holland is not safer than Thailand in that aspect. So that wouldn't make much of a difference and I very much doubt such killings don't occur in the US.

The chance of a person carrying a weapon in Holland (either Dutch national or foreigner) would be just as high as that of a Thai here. It ain't paradise either where we came from, let's not forget that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aesthete said:

I hadn't noticed anyone in the thread saying that you should have stepped up and defended her.

If she had big tits, I'd have defended her. :angel:

In fact, if she even looked like she possibly had a daughter or sister with big tits, I might have done it.

Edit to say: I looked back at the first post and saw she was 40. Probably not then.

Ah come on, it's a factor! ::

Batty said:

"I think that about sums it. That, and work, is why I haven't bothered participating in the thread - it's going nowhere."

Agreed!

Im signing off this thread. I'm more bored with it than anyone, and I keep having to repeat myself.

If I never participated in threads that went nowhere, i'd be bored to death when hitting my usual run of message boards. Once, back in the cave-man days of the internet, I thought I saw someone change thier mind about something they vehemently defended on a message board. It was just poorly worded though, and he did not.

I hope you leave this thread satisfied with the decision you made on the street - I would have been.

finally, for all those who think i'm JJ's alter ego still, I have a piece of advice for you: you should abandon any idea interchange with JJ. He clearly gets your goat. and makes you irrational. I've reviewed my posts in this thread, and know the things i've posted on this board in the last few weeks since joining it, and it couldn't be more clear that it's not the case. I thought it would be impossible to defend myself of such an allegation, but looking back, you can't have come to that decision and even have considered the facts at all.

So that means that you're so upset someone comes side with JJ on *a point* that he wasn't even arguing at the time, merely trying to clarify the positions because people weren't actually trying to comprehend his posts before responding to them, and so you come up with this lame kind of accusation so you get to conveniently still ignore the rational arguments posted. why would you ever participate in a debate with someone who makes you so irrational?

I thought this thread was the best one i've seen. It dealt with a moral dillema that I could imagine stumbling across here, and got to hear ppl's opinions. JJ's points were valid, though inflammitory. he wasn't right about everything he said IMO, but no one seemed interested in actually debating the things he was really saying..

my cherry holiday in Thailand is almost at an end, but I'm going to make an effort to drop by gulliver's this friday, to meet anyone that will be there. I'll be off and on the board waiting for my next trip here, and would hate to be remembered as someone's lame message board alter-ego tool, no matter how ridiculous the insinuation was.

ZAAD

"I would appreciate it if you answer my question before you sign off."

ZAAD

"What some people here (including me) don't understand is why you didn't take action in Thailand but would otherwise (same scenario) in London or elsewhere. I think, in all fairness, you either do or don't, regardless the place or (as JJ mentioned) the people/races involved."

Ok, I shall break my promise for the second time... apologies in advance for being long winded, but I really would like to hammer my point home here.

Boling the many points raised here to this one question; why be a hero at home, but not here?

Well, I hate to over simplify the answer, but the only conclusion I draw is simple...here, it is very possible to wind up dead. Honestly, I truly believe this. As I already mentioned, the Thais could view this as an insult - because they decided it best not to get involved, in there eyes so should I. To be honest, this is only a view I have registered since using nanaplaza.... the news section, and reports of fellang death, usually derive from situations you just would not believe. The fellang who asked the neighbor to move his car and got killed....a frequent poster here on this board receiving death threat because his GF imitated an orgasm sound to his shagging neighbor....a fellang woman kicked to fuck for playing her guitar on someone?s land (in daytime). I have said this before; the Thais over react when they should turn a blind eye, and under react when they should get medieval. Nanaplaza has been a massively useful resource for me and also entertaining - the downside is, the news section has made me a tad paranoid and more wary of Thais. Truly, it has. Never ceases to amaze me how fellangs are killed for trivial stuff.

A harmless 'toe to toe' in LOS always carries the potential of knives, chains, bats, even sodding guns. So, in summary, I will not put my ass on the line for a woman getting a slap in BKK, not unless she was a GF, or looked like she was about to be killed. Then, you have no choice, do you? Instinct would take over and you would be in like Flynn. Moral duty combined with natural rage.

But now I ask myself two things, the answers of which possibly make me somewhat of a hypocrite;

1. If this was a fellang woman getting slapped by a Thai fella, would I intervene then?.... Yes. Regardless of number of Thais present, dam right I would. No hesitation. In my eyes, that would be the done thing, although I concede it stinks of double standards, but there you go. From the observing Thais POV, maybe they would understand my helping a fellow Fellang? I dunno, risk of death or not, in that scenario, I would. Fuck it. I admit that helping a Fellang but not a Thai could be a case of misguided duty, but I would feel like I had to. I would not see this as crossing the whole Thai/fellang line that is so often drawn, as a fellang was involved.

2. If this was a friend, I would feel compelled to jump in, fight the guy, and twat anyone who so much as even looks like they disapprove (sarc). Again, double standards I suppose... I admit that much. Maybe not though. Maybe some situations are warranted, and others are not. I know this much - some situations qualify putting your ass on the line big-time, such as seeing a friend get attacked, GF, or potential of the attacked person being killed.

But a foreign girl getting a slap in a foreign country, with the outcome predicted to be at worse, a bashed nose... I would asses the risk factor too great to get involved. Here.

Back home, given the same situation (man slapping girl, 20 guys watching), the observant would not see my actions as wrong, they would see them as the right thing to do.

Even, worse ways on, the guy 'back home' slapping a girl about with 20 of his mates watching, I would still get involved knowing full well his mates would jump me - however I also know that the outcome for me would be a pretty nasty kicking, and not a stabbing. As I said before, LOS TIT, come on the chances of the Thais taking issue and beating me to within an inch of my life are very real. Not worth it to prevent a TG getting a bashed nose.

"Aesthete"

He (JJ) clearly gets your goat. and makes you irrational.

Not me. I have no problem with JJ's posts. Looking back over some of his stuff, he has some quality points to make often with a tasty dose of wit. I disagree with his analysis of my being a coward, but do see his point to a degree. He can be a little blunt and to the point, but personally I am fine with that.

Aesthete,

So that means that you're so upset someone comes side with JJ on *a point* that he wasn't even arguing at the time, merely trying to clarify the positions because people weren't actually trying to comprehend his posts before responding to them, and so you come up with this lame kind of accusation so you get to conveniently still ignore the rational arguments posted. why would you ever participate in a debate with someone who makes you so irrational?

Well, some did and some did not. Nothing unusual.

The key is to reply to those whom you believe bring interesting points and are worth spending your time and effort on and having a debate with.

There is (and always will be) this group who attacks a poster and you can say what you want, JJ's style does attract a lot more cyber enemies than say... myself. :)

But again, nothing uncommon on a board like this one and I believe most members are skilled at choosing who is and is not worthy of a reply.

would hate to be remembered as someone's lame message board alter-ego tool, no matter how ridiculous the insinuation was.

I think those who know JJ also know that he's not the kind of poster who needs aliases to back himself up, so don't worry about your reputation here. Not really the most important thing to spend your time worrying on now is it?

Let's not derail this thread any further, JJ has been in the spotligh long enough if you ask me and those who can't resist to shoot the messenger are welcome to do so by PM.

BANG BANG!

Boling the many points raised here to this one question; why be a hero at home, but not here?

Well, I hate to over simplify the answer, but the only conclusion I draw is simple...here, it is very possible to wind up dead. Honestly, I truly believe this

Ok, this I understand.. (though I disagree strongly) but I can understand now why you decided not to jump in..

Then you state:

1. If this was a fellang woman getting slapped by a Thai fella, would I intervene then?.... Yes. Regardless of number of Thais present, dam right I would. No hesitation.

This has me worried.

The possibility of winding up dead is suddenly pushed to the background as if it weren't high on the priority list anymore.

Allow me to put it bluntly...

Scenario A-> Thai women gets kicked badly by a Thai guy in Thailand. You decide not to help.

Scenario B->Farang woman gets kicked badly by a Thai guy in Thailand. You do help.

Basically, the risk (whatever it may be) IS worth taking for a farang woman but not for a Thai, eventhough you're fully aware of the fact that ending up dead is a realistic possibility?

I really do think your priorities are all wrong and need to re-think whatever is in your mind.

In my eyes, that would be the done thing, although I concede it stinks of double standards, but there you go. From the observing Thais POV, maybe they would understand my helping a fellow Fellang? I dunno, risk of death or not, in that scenario, I would. Fuck it.

Understand you helping a fellow farang?

Sorry, but don't bet your money on that. They would likely see it as invading there privacy (though in public ??) regardless the people involved.

Zaad

Hey, it?s fucked up... I made a point of stressing that in my post (my being hypocritical)

At the end of the day, this is all hypothetical chat. We can?t presume to know how we would react at any given moment, but sitting here mulling it over, those are my likely reactions.

Again, this is where the Thai/Fellang this is important in my opinion - over stepping the boundaries.

The Thais may think 'this is Thai business, stay the heck out of it' with the Thai woman, but with the fellang woman they may think 'understandable, she is a fellang, he's simply helping a fellow fellang'. They would still be pissed at my interference in both situations, but I'm sure out of the two?they would be riled to f**k at seeing me interfere with Thai/Thai stuff.

Hey, these are not my rules; I?m simply guessing this is how my mind would process the situation in that split second moment.

Again, I admit my thinking is a little screwed on the Thai/Fellang scenario. I already admit that. So please, if anyone else posts on this, don?t lambaste me - it?s just my given thinking.

Fuck, I forgot one:

Scenario C-> Woman gets kicked by a guy (regardless nationilties of both involved and location)

Small titties: I help.

Big tits: contact Bibblies "hornydog" Mutley 555-5429

:)

In all seriousness Batty, at least you admit that something regarding your reasoning is skewed, I respect that.

Hey, these are not my rules; I?m simply guessing this is how my mind would process the situation in that split second moment.

Of course, and that's exactly the point of this discussion. Hence also my earlier question if this situation repeats itself in the future.

Talking about it may help or at least facilitate the decision-making in the future because now you've had plenty of time to think about what you might do (or not do) although small factors may have an influence on that as well.

My guess is that you felt disgusted and ashamed of not offering a helping hand because the situation was new to you and you had never thought of not helping a person in need.

I'm quite sure that your feeling won't be the same (after taking time to think it through) if something similar presents itself due to the simple fact that your decision has been made already.

Gadfly1 said:

I know, I know. Coming back to this thread after having read up to KS's first post, I was shocked to find three things:

1. JJSushi not letting something lie.

2. BelgianBoy complaining about the moderating.

3. Extensive use of the word "dude".

I think that about sums it. That, and work, is why I haven't bothered participating in the thread - it's going nowhere.

Although you do bother to make a comment to explain why u don't post even though the topic is relevant?

You don't participate because you can't quote the the WSJ or some other publication to back up your nonsensical claims that the scenario would have been played out so differently in the West. I called ur initial comment hogwash, u took offense, attacked me personally and you have not provided a credible rebuttal. Just a blatant cop out on your part.

Archived