Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Against my better judgement...

"Why don't you simply point out why Batty did not display an act of cowardice."

Because he did not know what the argument was about, because he did not know what caused this incident, because he did not know the relationship of the people involved, because this could have seriously backfired on him, because it wasn't his fight.

Sanuk!

I agree with you that those reasons alone does not make someone a coward. The reasons you listed could be applied anywhere in the world. Heck I can use the same rationale you listed and apply it to an American couple in a dispute and myself avoiding the fray. Regardles of language and culture you will never as a stranger understand the dynamics of 2 people in an altercation. It has nothing to do with Thai vs farang.

This quote from Batty however sums up his cowardice to me.

I feel so sickened and ashamed of myself for not jumping in. I appreciate that fellangs should not get involved, but I can?t get the fact out of my head that I could have stopped the guy, but didn?t. If I seen the same thing on the streets of London, I would have been in like a shot.... but this whole Thai/Fellang thing prevented me from doing so tonight.

SHAME is what makes the choice cowardly.

He purposely ignored his mores and then decides in a scornful way that the bystander Thais are weaker and more cowardly than he. He based his decisons on artificial rationalities. Race/ethnicity/culture vs another human he deemed to be suffering in need of his help.

I am not the one that says he should of involved himself in the fracas, Batty is the one saying that.

The only time I get involved with shit like that is when I think someone is going to get SERIOUSLY hurt, a bloody lip or a black eye does not warrant interference on my end.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Batty said:

Who knows JJ, there is probably an endless list of situations that I would feel unfazed about and have no problem with, where as you may run like a girl. And visa versa. I?m certainly no coward JJ, just please take my word for that.

Dude, relax will ya? I m not calling you a cowardly person overall. I am merely stating that you performed a cowardly act in this given situation. Heck we all @ some point in our lives have a avoided doing what we know is the right for whatever reasons. Cowardice comes in when you act against your core set of values and beliefs. When you feel SHAME as a result of your actions. I myself have performed numerous acts of cowardice in my life.

I remember when I had my first real job after college. I was very insecure in my position and constantly felt I was 1 day or incidence away from being fired. A friend(not a close one but someone I considered myself friendly with) asked me to submit his reume to one of the partners, I told him I would but I never did because I felt my own position was too precarious. What made me a coward, actually a double coward was that I did not level with the guy and said I could not do it for him. I instead promised him I would. Instead of following up on my promise of submitting his resume I took the cowardly way out by staying under the partners radar.

What I did was wrong and went against my personal code of keeping my word. I was a coward for not being honest to a friend and a coward for not keeping my word.

That event haunted me so much that ever since then I have submitted every resume that came my way, written personal letters of recommendation, made personal calls in support of a prospect or I was upfront and honest in telling people that they wouldn't have a shot at a position.

It has everything to do with Thai/Ferrang. I have already said why, twice. The Thai Fellang thing is very relevant here.

Curiously, out of the 20 odd men standing about, I am the only coward? Funny how you haven?t mentioned bugger all about the lack of intervention on the Thais part.

Further more, I used the 'Streets of London' scenario for a reason - to highlight two things

1. It would not happen in London. A guy beating up a girl on a London street with any number of guys around would result in the guy getting leathered. I would be the first one there. Based on this one incident, it appears the same does not apply in LOS. This seems contrary to the Thai rak Thai boast. My point to begin with.

2. I admitted to being 'in like a shot' in London, but hesitated here. I have read too many posts in the news section here of Fellangs being killed for very petty reasons to act like a hero in the face of 20 odd Thais.

So I ask you again.... does this really make me a coward? Yes I feel bad, but using again the analogy of the escaped lion at a zoo ripping apart a tourist, I would feel bad about that also. But non intervention would not make me a coward.

It seems like I can?t win here. Because I admitted to feeling bad about not helping, I am a coward. On the other hand, if I had said 'I didn?t give a fuck about the girl getting beaten', would that have made my alleged cowardice irrelevant? It?s like your point is this;

Coward for caring but not helping

Ruthless cold hearted bastard for Not caring and not helping

Why are people assuming it was a domestic situation? From the description of the people involved, young well dressed man and older woman in cheap clothes, sounds more like a hiso and a servant. A hiso can smack around a lower class person with impunity. Remember the undercover cop that was murdered by a hiso because the cop gave him the wrong look?

Batty you would have ended up in the Bangkok Hilton if you would have hit that kid.

You did the right thing. Foreign country, foreign language, it's best to just walk away from situations like that. That's not being a coward, that's being sensible and understanding that you don't have a clue what the fuck you may be getting into. Take anything JJ says with a grain a salt. He's always the hero, gets the most girls, makes the most money, etc etc etc.

bust1 said:

This is sounding very much like a scratched record guys. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I know, I know. Coming back to this thread after having read up to KS's first post, I was shocked to find three things:

1. JJSushi not letting something lie. ::

2. BelgianBoy complaining about the moderating. :o

3. Extensive use of the word "dude". ::

:rotfl:

Archived