Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

Just noticed JJ has posted to Zaad. I feel I may be next in line... can sense him now, firing away at the keyboard, eyes bloodshot with rage, ready to unlease a verbal scolding :neener:

Seriously though, can i just add that this scenariou was unique because it was late, i was on the dark sahdy end of Siam 1 (I think) and there was 20 Thais kicking about watching. My whole point stems around the 20 Thais watching.

If i had the seen the same thing with only a couple of Thais watching, I would have been in. Its a fair estimation that out of the 20 or so Thais, there may have been one or two nutters in the crowd - which could ignite a melee, should i have bashed a couple of them.

Again, the point is the CROWD.... NOT the guy attacking her.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Batty said:

Zaad

Hey, it?s fucked up... I made a point of stressing that in my post (my being hypocritical)

At the end of the day, this is all hypothetical chat. We can?t presume to know how we would react at any given moment, but sitting here mulling it over, those are my likely reactions.

Again, this is where the Thai/Fellang this is important in my opinion - over stepping the boundaries.

The Thais may think 'this is Thai business, stay the heck out of it' with the Thai woman, but with the fellang woman they may think 'understandable, she is a fellang, he's simply helping a fellow fellang'. They would still be pissed at my interference in both situations, but I'm sure out of the two?they would be riled to f**k at seeing me interfere with Thai/Thai stuff.

Hey, these are not my rules; I?m simply guessing this is how my mind would process the situation in that split second moment.

Again, I admit my thinking is a little screwed on the Thai/Fellang scenario. I already admit that. So please, if anyone else posts on this, don?t lambaste me - it?s just my given thinking.

You see to identify more with nationality and ethnicity than you do what you deem to be right and wrong or the fact that the victim was a woman. So I ask what is your basis of shame?

I actually thought in a previous post about posing to you if the scenario happend in your own country and u were in a neighborhood of another ethnicity would you have been compelled to interfere. If u were in a neighborhood of etnic Africans and an African chick was getting slapped around and u were the only non-African in the crowd that was watching would u have jumped in even though it is in Britain and all of u are British citizens?

You see when I see a female victim, I see a FEMALE, I don't take into account if she is white, black, Hispanic, Indian, British, Russian,etc, etc etc. Maybe that is because my upbringing involves a multicultural environment. Now in ur given scenario my only criterias of interference would have been if I believed the woman's life was in danger and if my interference would have made a positive difference without placing myself in significant danger.

Not here to break ur balls dude but I do have issue with you heapiing scorn upon Thais when u in essence are guilty of the same thing for which u scorn them for.

Not really, if you read between the lines I identify with MY nationality (WTF does ethnicity have to do with this?) as the primary focus. I?m making the point that I am a felang, in a country notorious for locals over reacting physically with non-Thais, with petty motives. It?s not a question of showing biased to a troubled felang in LOS because I have a preference towards fellangs, its more of an acknowledgment that Thais don?t like fellangs fucking with Thais, right or wrong. A felang involved may be a different question. I suppose I see a Thai female in this predicament as a Thai female surrounded by her own people. With a felang, I MAY or may not see a backpacking tourist 5000 miles from home wondering what the fuck happened, with her closest allay feet away. That?s would be my rationale, in that split second it takes to act or, dismiss.

I feel the need to reiterate, once again, that I am offering a snapshot of how my mindset would process a decision during those few seconds. I am not discussing the right thing to do, more 'what the hell would you do given lack of time'....you have seconds to decide. JJ you have the luxury of reclining in your swivel chair, swinging your feet up on the computer desk (watch them spurs), and pondering this over until arriving at your conclusion, mulling it over, typing, spellchecking, amending after second thought and subsequently posting. Fuck mate, I had seconds; I had no time to arrive at a correct decision, only a pressured decision in seconds. To this end it is not entirely fair to compare my qualified, confirmed inaction to hypothetical aggressive reaction. You were not there. We don?t know. Again, not to say I think you are hamming this up, but we only have your word, after time to ponder, that you would jump in.

That?s got me thinking actually... I like to feel I have been honest through this thread - so believe me when I say this; had this conundrum been posed to me months ago, I very likely would have been with you JJ. I would have posted "conundrum? What fucking conundrum? I would have leathered the guy, simple as". In that situation though, I buckled. I still don?t think I'm a coward, but I do admit to buckling.

I?m disappointed that the earlier posters haven?t followed this up. Admittedly, the post was going around in circles for a while but I am intrigued by how people see themselves reacting to this, given various scenario?s... I?m interested to ascertain how other guys would deal with these various situations.

Yes, you see a FEMALE being attacked, regardless of nationality. You are also sitting on your desk pondering this. Let me throw you into this situation, gaze upon the Thais watching, consider your environment and look at the womans wounds (bloody nose). It may be JJ, that you actions do not reflect your musings.

Batty,

can sense him now, firing away at the keyboard, eyes bloodshot with rage, ready to unlease a verbal scolding..

JJ you have the luxury of reclining in your swivel chair, swinging your feet up on the computer desk (watch them spurs), and pondering this over until arriving at your conclusion, mulling it over, typing, spellchecking, amending after second thought and subsequently posting

I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor :)

Btw, you forgot to mention the white furry cat on his lap.

I have a preference towards fellangs, its more of an acknowledgment that Thais don?t like fellangs fucking with Thais, right or wrong. A felang involved may be a different question. I suppose I see a Thai female in this predicament as a Thai female surrounded by her own people.

Her own people you say?

Just look at the damn newspaper or listen to the stories from those (Thais) around you. Plenty of sad stories and killings from..you guessed it..their own people.

It really makes no significant difference when it comes to bloody disputes like these.

They see an enemy and wish to terminate him or her. As I see it the only difference is that here in Thailand the action vs. reaction ratio is a bit skewed.

Yes Zaad but think of the context. I?m not saying Thais don?t hurt Thais. My point being her own people in her own land. As apposed to the fellangs own people being 5000 miles away and she being in a foreign land. Think of the elegance you naturally feel towards a felang..... You do, don?t you? This is not a bad thing - we have more in common with felangs than Thais. Don?t we? We ARE felangs after all. But whilst I respect them both equally, this common ground and elegance would, maybe, manifest itself in my naturally backing a felang out here born from instinct, and not necessarily naturally backing a Thai... I STRESS - IN THIS SCENARIO ONLY! 20 THAI GUYS OBSERVING A THAI FIGHT! A felang being beat upon however, and my natural endearment towards the felang on a dark soi filled with Thais would maybe lead me to form a contrary action.

OK to clear thye air, Aesthete is not JJ, I am. I have an alter ego, mutlit personalities etc...one is that of a successful wall street banker who drives a porsche, and scores big with the chicks. Hope this clears this up. Oh, I was also the guy on the grassy knoll in Dallas, "Deep throat" in the watergate deal, and also the guy behind the brinks robbery...I also post under the names Jasmine, Fiery Jack, Stickman (I'll win a contest yet!, one way or another!!), Khun Sanuk, and Gadfly... ok hope the clears it all up now.

Hi Batty,

A few years ago back home in oz,i was sitting waiting at a set of red lights in my car,in which the traffic was banked back over a railway bridge overpass.I noticed an altercation going on,on the footpath,and it was a big guy trying to pick up a woman and throw her over the 1.5 metre guard rail and onto the train tracks,about 10 metres below.

I was out of the car in a flash,without thinking and headed towards this woman to try and help her but seconds later,he let go of her and they both fell to the ground and embraced each other.

I now had the luxury of time to sit back and see the situation as it was,and that these two were trailer trash,and were a couple and were obviously drunk,and she had now forgiven him for the attempted murder attempt.

As i returned to my car,i saw 3 other men who had reacted the same as me and were returning to their cars as well.My heart was beating out of my chest.I weigh 70 kgs and this guy could have thrown me onto the train tracks if he had a mind to.I suppose in the back of my mind,i knew that i would'nt be alone there,and that others would help as well.

As to your situation Batty,i would have done the exact same as you and also felt as bad as you as well.Am i correct in assuming you live there? I have a few expat friends in Pattaya and they see a lot of merciless farang bashings over trivial matters.

You only have to watch the Pattaya news channel to see how fucking mad Thai's are or just read the Pattaya Mail or read the Stickmans submissions,or just read this forum or the other dozen forums around,and it doesn't take an Einstein to realise that in a Thai altercation,you mind your own fucking business.

Let's turn the situation around and you,as a farang is getting belted around by a Thai guy,or a few Thai guys,would the Thai woman in question lift a finger to help you? We all know the answer to that question.

Mind your own business and let things be.I'd be very interested if board members with wives or gf's posted Battys situation to them and what their take on it was.....

Archived