Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

liquidflux said:

You did the right thing. Foreign country, foreign language, it's best to just walk away from situations like that. That's not being a coward, that's being sensible and understanding that you don't have a clue what the fuck you may be getting into. Take anything JJ says with a grain a salt. He's always the hero, gets the most girls, makes the most money, etc etc etc.

..... and a 12' dick :p
bibblies said:
bust1 said:

This is sounding very much like a scratched record guys. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I know, I know. Coming back to this thread after having read up to KS's first post, I was shocked to find three things:

1. JJSushi not letting something lie. ::

2. BelgianBoy complaining about the moderating. :o

3. Extensive use of the word "dude". ::

:rotfl:

I missed ya too !

BB

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed something.... aside from my late night 15 Singha sessions when i post insane unreadable crap, i dont very often post topics... but when i do, a mini war of words is usualy forthcoming and drags on for a week. Next time I post, Its going to be about how nice the temples are or something. Just to keep the peace....

Anyway, JJ i see your point. I suppose we all have moments we regret, that was mine. Allthough i feel bad, it was the right thing to do.

Nuff said on my part now, cheers.

Some here just love to hate me. Sort of a "GET JJSUSHI" group think. Too much substance in what I post which really pisses off the anit-JJsushi crowd. Can't fuck with the message, so let' shoot the fucking messenger because he pisses us off!

BANG BANG!

Personally I would only get involved in an altercation only if I think someone is going to be truly hurt in a brutal sort of way(there is a big difference between a beating and getting smacked around) other than that it is not my business. I can give a shit what the ethnicity, sex or nationality of the people involved are. If I can prevent a severe outcome without great risk to myself then I will intervene.

Sort of my view as well.

I would very much hate not to intervene if things got really out of hand (unlike this particular case)

punches, kicks, a beating etc.. all 'fine' and could be for a gazillion reasons I'm not interested in. Deserved or not...

The only thing I can't stand watching helplessly is one person ending the live of another, or seriously injuring. Only then would I step in.

IMHO less than this is not worth risking a beating or my life for.

I would run away from the situation.

Why ? I am 50 yo, not in the best of physical shape and right or wrong, that is not my fight.

Plain and simple, I would be a coward.

JIMO.

I don't blame you, BB.

And as for the word "coward", I disagree with that too.

I used to think that those who run away from situations like these mentioned by Batty were cowards. But now, few years later I changed my opinion on that.

I guess the interpretation of this word (like many others) could be endlessly discussed without reaching an agreement.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I very much doubt I could walk away from a much more serious situation than this one, simply because my nature. I couldn't live with myself after watching another person getting beaten to death, unless the odds were firmly stacked against me and I wouldn't have stood a chance..

But I don't despise people like you anymore BB who would turn their back. I just think about my baby girl who is waiting to see daddy return home at the end of the day, she needs me, family needs me, why should I take risks? It's not only MY life that could get ruined but others as well. Then again, the very person being stabbed around the corner might find himself/herself in a similar situation.

It's a very tough decision to make in a split second.

We all have a valuable life, some would jump in, others wouldn't for several reasons.

I would, because that's me, but never will I hate those who don't because their reasons for not doing so are just as understandable as mine.

Yesterday afternoon, riding in the bus down Sukhumvit around the On Nut BTS station, I was gazing out the bus window...young man and lady, maybe 18 ~ 22, and he was slapping the young lady in the back of her head pretty good!

The area was crowded with Thais and no one Thai seemed interested.

"Why don't you simply point out why Batty did not display an act of cowardice"

Well he thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was not his fucking battle and his safety is more improtant than some street tramp that may be deserving the repremand. Maybe she screwed some guy from NY and she got lucky with only a mild public flogging ::

>JJ, just to jump back on topic for a mo -

>You are calling me a coward for not diving in

Batty, JJ is a "legend in his own lunch time", or at least in his own mind, so I would not take the words of such a "keyboard warrier" too seriously. Look back through the thread, and you will see that most people (JJ excepted of course) agree with your course of action.

To be blunt, any other course of action would have been foolish in the extreme. You are right, you *are* a visitor/guest here, and yes, Thai's are VERY likely to take the other side to a farang on principle. If some one else had come by and seen a bloodied girl and a farang and a thai guy going at it, they may well have concluded *you* were the source of the problem and waded in.

A couple of questions you may also want to ponder: Can you be *sure* the guy was not armed in some way? Can you be *sure* that he was alone? As for the Thais, well they are a lot more savvy in sizing up a situation that you are. They may well have seen something that kept them out of it. You say they went to the girl as soon as the man went off. Not completely unconcerned then....

You should not be "shamed" by your actions. You can feel "ashamed" at being in a society where such actions can be "tolerated", but there is NOTHING shameful in self preservation.

-j-

josh_ingu said:

Look back through the thread, and you will see that most people (JJ excepted of course) agree with your course of action.

-j-

To be fair, i think that JJ also agreed with your course of action, he merely pointed out that the way you described it, you were being cowardly.

To be even fairer, I agree with him to an extent. It is a little bit cowardly not to stand up for the woman in that situation. cowardly in the sense of allowing fear to stand in the way of your chosen action. I don't believe you have sacrificed your integrity not stepping in, and that's another reasonable way to define cowardice. so, depending on your definition it could be either cowardly or not.

I hadn't noticed anyone in the thread saying that you should have stepped up and defended her. I think we all agree that the ramifications of that were not worth the risk. JJ isn't arguing you should have, merely that by your words, *you* feel you had the responsibility, and failed to fullfill it. that could be considered cowardice. I, too, would have had problems turning my back on it, but as a farang in that situation, I believe it is the right call.

Archived