Thai rak Thai? Yeh, right....

jjsushi said:
aesthete said:
josh_ingu said:

Look back through the thread, and you will see that most people (JJ excepted of course) agree with your course of action.

-j-

To be fair, i think that JJ also agreed with your course of action, he merely pointed out that the way you described it, you were being cowardly.

To be even fairer, I agree with him to an extent. It is a little bit cowardly not to stand up for the woman in that situation. cowardly in the sense of allowing fear to stand in the way of your chosen action. I don't believe you have sacrificed your integrity not stepping in, and that's another reasonable way to define cowardice. so, depending on your definition it could be either cowardly or not.

I hadn't noticed anyone in the thread saying that you should have stepped up and defended her. I think we all agree that the ramifications of that were not worth the risk. JJ isn't arguing you should have, merely that by your words, *you* feel you had the responsibility, and failed to fullfill it. that could be considered cowardice. I, too, would have had problems turning my back on it, but as a farang in that situation, I believe it is the right call.

AAHHH! someone that actually reads and has comprehension skills! Kudos to u sir!

You two got me a little confused here guys..

I basically shared the same opinion until this post and especially the last sentence: "..but as a farang in that situation, I believe it is the right thing to do"

What happened to your very first reply here JJ...

No sympathy from me mate. Your using the Thai vs farang thing as an excuse for your cowardice.

You most definitely should feel like a wanker if you viewed another human being get throttled and you felt compelled to do something yet chose not too. To reduce it to how can "Thais" let a woman get thrashed is callous and ignorant on your part. Would you have run to the aid of the chick if she was white skinned, blond haired and blue eyed? If you would have then you really have to ask yourself what sort of person you truly are.

Personally I would only get involved in an altercation only if I think someone is going to be truly hurt in a brutal sort of way(there is a big difference between a beating and getting smacked around) other than that it is not my business. I can give a shit what the ethnicity, sex or nationality of the people involved are. If I can prevent a severe outcome without great risk to myself then I will intervene.

Please tell me the "being a farang" is a typo otherwise you contradict yourself(ves) nicely and got most of us (me) confused.

IMO being a farang has squat to do with it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel so sickened and ashamed of myself for not jumping in. I appreciate that fellangs should not get involved, but I can?t get the fact out of my head that I could have stopped the guy, but didn?t. If I seen the same thing on the streets of London, I would have been in like a shot.... but this whole Thai/Fellang thing prevented me from doing so tonight.

Thai rak Thai? Do they fuck. I feel gutted about this...horrible thing to see and I feel like a complete wanker for not helping out the poor woman.

Batty,

What some people here (including me) don't understand is why you didn't take action in Thailand but would otherwise (same scenario) in London or elsewhere.

I think, in all fairness, you either do or don't, regardless the place or (as JJ mentioned) the people/races involved.

Out of curiosity...

What would your reaction be if the same thing happened next week?

(I ask because you wanted to help this woman but refused to do so since you don't seem to feel comfortable here due to the farang-thai scenario, has the discussion changed your view on it)

Cheers!

I think your confusion is caused because I tried to clarify what JJ said, not support it myself. Someone here posted that I was an alter-ego for JJ, which of course I can't defend againts, so all I can do is ignore it. Although, I think if you read this whole thread you'd see me disagree with him on enough points to make you think otherwise.

I still hold that in the states, I'd never let this type of thing happen when I was around, and it's more than fair to let your status as a foreigner interfere here in Thailand.

I know, I know. Coming back to this thread after having read up to KS's first post, I was shocked to find three things:

1. JJSushi not letting something lie.

2. BelgianBoy complaining about the moderating.

3. Extensive use of the word "dude".

I think that about sums it. That, and work, is why I haven't bothered participating in the thread - it's going nowhere.

looks like you [JJSushi] have signed up your own echo (aesthete as the contrary to your ego) 2 weeks ago to applaud yourself!
I noticed the same thing. I wonder now who will respond first: aesthete or JJ?

"I think that about sums it. That, and work, is why I haven't bothered participating in the thread - it's going nowhere."

Agreed!

Im signing off this thread. I'm more bored with it than anyone, and I keep having to repeat myself.

Agreed!

Im signing off this thread. I'm more bored with it than anyone, and I keep having to repeat myself.

Gadfly1 said:Now, if you have anything substantive to say about why you think there is less intervention in Thailand - or if you disagree with that factual claim - I really would like to hear it because I honestly do think it is an interesting issues. Scout's honour, you won't get burned.
..... and I replied !
Gadfly1 said:

I think that about sums it. That, and work, is why I haven't bothered participating in the thread - it's going nowhere.

Coward !

BB

Archived