Japanese... is it right? do they care?

"...Anyway, on a different level... you have to admit it's kind of fucked up for the Japanese to be invading the bars catering to westerners en masse, but then refusing to allow those same westerners into bars catering to them. ..."

I said that in my post...er more less...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, 3 years already. You clearly know everything there is to know about SE Asia.

You now change your argument to show more repressive racism. What I took (and still do) exception to is your saying that our ancestors fought WWII so you can go to a bar in Bangkok that does not want you anyway. My family members did not die for that and I resent your implication that they did.

Let me treat you as a five year old, since you cannopt seem to grasp it (That is in no way an insult, I tell people to explain it to me in those terms all the time). Let me continue on with the clarifcation posted by StanLaurel.

Part one: One leads by example, something our (OK, mine, since I do not really know if you are a Yank, but you sure sound like it) country fails at miserably. Hence the links I pointed out.

Part two: Priorities. Which do you think is a priority? Allowing someone to a) live in a house they own with their loved ones regardless of marital status, B) allowing a loving couple to adopt a child? or gay rights in general? (simply replace any instance of the would "gay" with "Negro" in any recent article about this and be transported instantly to 1954) c) the fact that we even discuss torture means we lost -- that is certainly NOT something we have ever done before and have rightly convicted and hanged Germans & Japanese for the same thing.

Now, dontcha think that any one of those above items are far, far more important on the human rights scale than the fact that you are pissy because someone will not let you into their playground? And dontcha think that if you have some spare time to tilt at windmills, would be much more appropriate to rally against something more important than who gets into whore bars in a country that is not even your own?

Ahhh, but what the fuck do know? I have lived in Asia for 20 years and only know for sure that I know fuck all about Asia and its people.

But I do know about priorities (I get paid very well to know them), and IMHO you need to reasses yours.

Regards,

SD

eee... ill hold you to that.

When are you in Bangkok then? Im leaving London in 4 hours! will be in thailand for 2 months (not in bangkok for 2 months, im not that crazy).

Would be interesting to go for a drink or two and see your take on Bkk.

suadam, of course there are more important things to worry about, but this is a forum about nightlife in Thailand not a forum to solve the world's problems. Just because there are more important things to discuss doesn't mean we can't discuss this issue. We can discuss how to solve the rest of the world's problems elsewhere.

Old Hippie said:

"...Anyway, on a different level... you have to admit it's kind of fucked up for the Japanese to be invading the bars catering to westerners en masse, but then refusing to allow those same westerners into bars catering to them. ..."

I said that in my post...er more less...

Hmmmmm, delicious irony. Yummy!

You do realize that you both are being as racist as the Japanese about whom you are complaining? You are painting all of them with the same brush. Perhaps the Japanese blokes who are in the farang bars are doing their part to avoid (and therefore shutdown) the Japanese only bars...

Certainly only a minority of the Japanese guys I know here in BKK much care for those "exclusive" places. But many are members (as am I) of "members only" clubs who pretty much allow anyone who is a) recommended by a member and B) has the dough to pay the joining and maintenance fees. Or is that discriminatory? Should we subsidize the entry for skint backpackers?

:doah: :doah: :banghead::doah: :doah: :banghead:

Regards,

SD

The Japanese bars are wrong, but here is the good news - you aren't missing anything.

I have been to a few "Japanese only" bars. Small Karoke rooms where everyone chain smokes and drinks cost several times what they cost in Farang bars. The girls aren't any better looking, but speak a smattering of Japanese (they speak much better English) and they charge a tremendous premium for their linguistic skills. I inquired with one girl about the price of a shorttime: 4,000 Baht, and she wasn't that hot. I suspect Japanese guys go to NEP to escape this BS, and I don't blame them.

If it will make you feel any better, the BGs in Rainbow 4 have a joke about Japanese guys: 3-3-3. Three centimeters, three seconds, three thousand baht.

Gadfly1 said:

The Japanese bars are wrong, but here is the good news - you aren't missing anything.

I have been to a few "Japanese only" bars. Small Karoke rooms where everyone chain smokes and drinks cost several times what they cost in Farang bars. The girls aren't any better looking, but speak a smattering of Japanese (they speak much better English) and they charge a tremendous premium for their linguistic skills. I inquired with one girl about the price of a shorttime: 4,000 Baht, and she wasn't that hot. I suspect Japanese guys go to NEP to escape this BS, and I don't blame them.

That's exactly right. Who cares that you can't get into Japanese only bars that even the Japanese don't want to go to anymore.

Farangs have always gotten a much better deal then the Japanese, and the Japanese are becoming increasingly aware of the fact.

This might come as a shock to some of you, but the Japanese have sites just like this, discussing the best places to go, the current prices, etc.

Whenever, I've wonderered into Soi Thonglor in the last couple of years, it seems very quiet. And what's more, I imagine that a large number of girls who might have worked in Thonglor in the past, are now working in bars like Rainbow 2 because that's where their prefered customer base is nowadays.

I suspect that if the Japanese customers of Rainbow 2 suddenly disappeared for some reason then a large number of those girls would suddenly disappear also.

As I see it, they're not 'invading' our bars as much as bringing their bars to us. I've noticed that the bars that are popular with the Japanese (the Rainbow bars, Bacara, Shark, etc) generally have a greater number of more attractive dancers, and often get more farang punters than many of the 'farang' only bars as a result.

It's a win-win for everyone.

Hey MooLor. I'm going to be there in June or July for a month if all works out. I don't know how you have fun but some idiot board members here think I'm a too much of a horn dog and that I need to get help, when they themselves are simply alcoholics. Not that there's anything wrong with it since I love boozing, doing it up too. hehahahaha. Have fun. My problem is I try to do way too much since I know I'm there for a limited time. Can't wait till my retirement. Jan gao. eee LEAVING IN 4 HOURS????YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!!

wendella said:

Been living in SEA for 3 years now. No tourist here.

I can't believe anyone born in a western democratic country would seriously think a Japanese-only policy in a public nightclub is legitimate.

If you open your eyes you'll find Japanese, Korean...hell, Afro :D -only nightclubs in every major US city, too.

Some folks just need their very own homey environment and feel uncomfortable with "strangers". Human nature.

Speaking of education and legitimacy; you are NOT at home and must realize that the right and wrong rules are different and political correctness does not exist here. It doesn't mean you have to agree and discard your beliefs, but if you're not a missionary you better accept certain realities as long as they don't hurt you.

And as some others said, no need to feel hurt, discriminated or pushed aside as you wouldn't have much fun in "their" closed environments, anyway.

Big spenders will be big spenders. There's plenty of western over-spenders, too.

Those "masses" "invading" "your" venue probably have a very good reason to do so, too. Not every Japanese is a millionaire...

"I can't believe anyone born in a western democratic country would seriously think a Japanese-only policy in a public nightclub is legitimate."

There is your answer. The business owner/operator for a pub is a PRIVATE nightclub. They can decide who they want to serve.

Now, if the PUBLIC transport, library or hospital was having a policy like this, then the situation is different. Which is why you get many more people upset with the Thai Govt policy on National Parks - charging all foreigners the higher price instead of only non-residents.

Cheers!

Archived