Japanese... is it right? do they care?

Forgot to mention: if I did see some bar with a sign out in front like the ones you say exist (which are those exactly?), signs that say explicitly that no Indians or Arabs are allowed inside, yeah certainly I'm not going to spend my money in a place like that. That's an easy one. I'm sure a lot of people here would do the same.

People do tend to bitch more about things that affect them directly and personally though. That's just human nature.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just that i'd like to be able to go places where some types of people are excluded, but i happily support other's doing it where they can.

I think it's ridiculous that a business owner isn't allowed to select his or her clientele here in the states if they want to. In general, I think it's a bad plan, but if someone wants to be bigoted, prejudiced, or whatever with thier business, more power to them.

I was in Japan in 1999 with a bunch of friends for a big tournament, and we were all young and had just made an absolute mint, walking around with thousands and in some cases tens of thousand dollars of newly acquired disposable income in our pockets, just raring for a good time. we went looking for a strip club to blow our money on some good looking Japanese girls, and kept getting turned away. I thought it was hilarious that these guys were turning away bigger fish than they could have dreamed.

Finally, we bumped into a tout that brought us to a bar that catered to us. It was, unfortunately, all eastern european women (nothing againts them: I find them beautiful and all, but we were kind of hoping for actual japanese girls) the opposite effect of the japanese coming into thai bars happened, these girls mostly spoke english better than japanese, and bum rushed us so they could actually communicate with guys. It didn't hurt that we were all in our early to mid 20's and it didn't take very long for them to realize that we had plenty of cash to blow.

The bars that turned us away probably would have made even more off of us, becuase we were really pumped about the japanese girls, but we ended up having a great time anyway, and I still have no hard feelings.

Well,

It might not be the Jap guys that are the problem, as well the fact that most girls there are only interested in Japs instead of farangs.

I've seen farangs completely ignored by FL's after they approach them while a few mins later the FL will chase for a Jap guy.

I don't know how much they pay the girl and if it's substantially more then 'us' but we all have heard abt the 2-3-4 rule (2 min - 3 cm - 4K baht).

Im pretty sure it's a money issue because that what it's all about with P4P girls, don't you think ?

A FL bar like Thermae is flooded with Japs (mostly bkk expats) and girls looking for them on the weekends, so if one doesn't want to be surrounded by them I would suggest to avoid places like Thermae on weekends.

And, like it or not, it's time to get used to face the fact that FL bars and go-go bars are not a 'farang M only' territory anymore, even if they were like that in the past. Maybe one should be happy that's it's only Japs (and Koreans) coming there and not other nationalities who are more noisy, smelly and harrassing than them.

I avoid places like Thermae on weekends, not because all the Japs are there, but more like there are not so much gals around on those days that want to hook up with a farang guy like me.

Cheers

Tilac

What's the big deal?

I'm Indian and in fact there are some some bars in NanaPlaza that I am not allowed to enter ("only members" they told me).

But: there are plenty, plenty of other bars to choose from. So if you are refused into one then accept it and go for the other one, I would say...

You make an excellent point, SatRai.

If a bar or nightclub doesn't want you as a customer, you're not going to have a good time there anyway. What's the point of insisting on getting into a place where you're not welcome.

Within walking distance of my apartment in NYC there are various clubs and bars that won't admit me because I am a Caucasian male. That's never bothered me in the slightest, it's merely a fact of NYC nightlife.

There's a huge difference between institutional racism based on an ideology of racial superiority and a nightspot that is trying to appeal to a certain niche group. No one anywhere in the world has an unalienable right to enter a gogo bar, strip club, brothel, etc. These are very special establishments that don't cater to the general public.

Evel Penivel

:devil:

I agree. You don't want me as a customer, I can find another place to spend my money. I'm all for giving people equal opportunities when it comes to education, employment, etc but in an effort to be politically correct, we as Americans have a tendency to go overboard.

I also realize that my view of what is right and wrong is based on my culture/upbringing and try not to force my value system on others. I don't see anything wrong with Japanese only clubs, the same way I don't see a problem with excluding women from Augusta National or having a Blacks only Congressional Black Caucaus.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if we try and apply our values to this country and succeed, you wont have to worry about being denied entry to a Japanese only club where young women sell their bodies because there wont be ANY clubs like this.

Surely no upstanding American citizen worried about social injustice and exploitation of other human beings could stand for a club like this? :nono:

I can't say I'm encouraged, since you're all basically saying that you're in favor of racial discrimination, and that you don't see anything wrong with it. At least you're being honest about it.

Yeah in the US if someone wanted to be bigoted with their business and not allow certain races to enter their restaurant or whatever, not only would it not be more power to them, there's a pretty good chance they'd be sued and be forced to shut it. I guess you guys all missed the civil rights movement. That kind of stuff is illegal in the US, Britain, Australia and I'm pretty sure in all of western europe.

Strange that all you guys, who I presume are from these same western countries, are in favor of a policy that's illegal where you come from. To the guy who says he can't enter some club because he's white -- well, if that is true (big if -- I'm not quite buying that no white males are allowed in there) it's not legal there. I'm also betting they don't post it on a sign or tell people at the door "no white males allowed". Let's face it, they'd be legally screwed if they did that.

my post had nothing to do with race,i couldn't be bothered who i drink with as long as they are buying.........

i liked to drink in Bars which were off limits to Military out for the Night during Cobra Gold.

but i also liked to drink in Bars which banned English Football supporters during the last World Cup Tournament.

nice and peaceful and an ambient atmosphere as before.

and the Girls weren't that bothered as they were fed up with being groped and what i thought of as 'sexual molestation' which was unwanted.

the Girls knew that if the Bar was a happy place then the regulars would come in and buy the LD's and the BF's.

i certainly did...............

Archived