Japanese... is it right? do they care?

I just wanted to say that when I wrote the above post that ticked Old Hippie off, as I was writing it, I wasn't thinking that everyone here is a bigot. Actually I haven't seen anything yet that hits me that way. It's a lot different to not be very sensitive about racial discrimination than it is to be a bigot. I mean,nobody here is saying anything like "I don't want to be in the same club as any damn Arab, I think they shouldn't be allowed in".

So while I can see where Old Hippie read between the lines in my post and imagined I was slyly calling people here racist, well, I don't think I wrote that and I certainly didn't think it.

I understand what Aesthete is saying, and I disagree with him. It sounds to me like he's not a bigot at all, just maybe not as intolerant of racial discrimination as I am. Which is fine. Takes all types.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khwaimaisabai said:

Hi wendella,

There is certainly such a sign in Lucky Lukes, NEP.

Khwai

And Boss Hog had the foresight to also have the sign in Arabic as well as English.

Some may consider it racist or bigoted, but there are a lot of guys who vacate in Thailand 3-4 times a year who work in the Middle East and the last thing they want to do on vacation is to be sitting next to an Arab or an Indian whilst taking a well earned break, I know I did it for years

Mekong said:
khwaimaisabai said:

Some may consider it racist or bigoted, but there are a lot of guys who vacate in Thailand 3-4 times a year who work in the Middle East and the last thing they want to do on vacation is to be sitting next to an Arab or an Indian whilst taking a well earned break, I know I did it for years

So, you consider it as a terrible thing to sit next to an Indian or Arab. So in my case (being Indian and living/working in Germany) it should be a terrible thing to sit next to a German whilst taking my break.

But in fact, when entering a bar or other entertainment venue, I am primarily interested in the girls in there. I don't mind whether my fellow-partyguys are Indians, Germans, Japanese or ET's. I guess most of us go to such places to have a good time together with the girls and not to look and judge other men.

wendella said:

I mean,nobody here is saying anything like "I don't want to be in the same club as any damn Arab, I think they shouldn't be allowed in".

I don't want to be in the same club as any damn Arab, I think they shouldn't be allowed in

Evel Penivel

:devil:

(I couldn't resist that one.) :stirthepo:chili:

poskat said:

I think the losers who get up on stage and dance along the girls shouldn't be allowed in the bars.

:yeahthat:

There is a sign, posted quite obviously, as you enter the so called No-Name bar on Soi Cowboy, which states in English:

"Customers are prohibited from dancing on stage"

I've never seen a Japanese, an Arab or an Indian ever get up on a go-go stage anywhere in LOS. I guess they don't need to be reminded not to make an ass of themselves in a public place. I suppose they fear they might get banned if they acted like twats.

You need to get out more!

Anyone after a few adult beverages can act the fool

I was 9 months in Bahrain and have seen Arabs play the fool...and they are Muslim that "don't" drink alcohol beverages <wink-wink>.

The Japanese will get completely wasted and anything goes.

Of course, this does not apply to all, but enough to make an impression for me! ::

Interesting thread.

IMHO it is difficult to distinguish between the common behavior that like minded people try to stick together and racism which tends to keep other people outside completely.

In the nightlife scene of all most all countries many bar/nightclub/restaurant owners limit access to certain group of customers more or less actively. While some scenes are a kind of self regulatory (I don't want to have a beer in bar for Skinheads) others select their costumers actively by class, race, dress e.g.

This thread already made it clear that there are many segments of the Thai P4P scene which concentrate on a certain geographical groups of costumers and excludes others (Arabs, Western Farang, Thais, e.g..).

That the Japanese receive so much attention is probably the result of their tendency to stick to their own countrymen and isolate themselves from other groups more actively. You will find this phenomenon in all larger cities with a Japanese community where you always will find a selection of "Japanese only" places. The "Japanese only" even applies to probably 99% of all P4P venues in Japan, which is IMHO open xenophobia or even racism.

While we more or less knowingly profit from the racist rules at SC and NP against Thais and Arabs some complain about some "Japanese only" places which probablay make a very small percentage of the P4P market for foreign punters. Therefore I wonder why some of the fellows make such a big issue out of it. Especially since they would not like the Japanese places anyway (extremely high prices, no one to talk to, e.g.)???

::

PS: Do that places have a Japanese only sign? Maybe that's the only problem why some feel offended, because they think being a superior Westerner who should have access to all places? That Thais are banned from NP and SC seems to be of no concern for anybody and this of course has only very practical reasons.... ::

wendella said:

I just wish you and everybody like you would go back to the bottom of the Snake River Canyon you came from.

I don't come from the Snake River Canyon, but I wouldn't mind going back there - it has some of the most striking scenery in North America. Check it out yourself:

Snake River Canyon

Plus the Snake River Canyon does have a significant link to the subject of this thread - exclusion of certain groups from various nightlife venues in Thailand:

"The Hells Canyon area was once home to Shoshone and Nez Perce tribes. According to the Nez Perce tribe, Coyote dug the [color:"red"] Snake River Canyon [/color] in a day to protect the people on the west side of the river from the Seven Devils, a band of evil spirits living in the mountain range to the east."

So really, the bar owners that exclude certain groups are only trying to protect the people of the west from the Seven Devils, now called by a different name in today's globalized world

Wendella, you may have inspired me to write a book about this. I think I'll call it Da Snake River Canyon Code.

Evel Penevil

:devil:

Archived