Romantic dinner?

drogon

Guest lazyphil

Nothing can beat eating Italian food in Italy, looking out onto olive groves and mountains etc rather than bkk concrete carbunkles!....further more i'm very sure i paid less than 5000 baht for a few meals for 2 (Stickman is out of touch on prices I'm afraid) in a northern italian region 3 years ago, great food in rustic atmospheric eateries, of course venice, florence tourist areas you need a small mortgage to cover the bills.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The far less than Mediocre Italian place across the street from me, with a view of the Marina and Bay/SFO skyline, cost about $100 a few years back, for 2, with wine...would love a place to get good fresh/cheap Italian food...maybe I should try Italy...?

Have you been to Angelini?s? If you can get that quality of experience in Europe for 5,000 Thai baht I very much doubt it. This place is absolutely top notch and I am absolutely sure that you would be VERY lucky to find tat quality in Europe at that price. I mean this place is SUPER FLASH.

Let?s go back through what I said:

2 x cocktails per person

3 courses each

A couple of drinks each at meal time

You can do this for 5,000 baht in Europe with true 5 star service, in AMAZING surroundings, with high quality jazz music being played? Really? Man, when I was last in Europe 12 years ago, places were WAY more expensive than that back then.

I would also like to point out that I have the latest edition of the Lonely Planet Guide to Italy sitting here right beside me. Of course Belgian Boy and LazyPhil know more about fine dining in Rome that Lonely Planet do, but man, if the prices in this book are anything to go by, for that sort of experience you would be looking at 300 Euros or so.

I do not doubt that excellent food can be had in Italy for reasonable prices. Angelini?s is not just great food, it is a whole experience and true fine dining.

This restaurant is consistently voted the best restaurant in ANY hotel in THE WORLD!

5,000 baht only for all of this at this quality in Europe? BOLLOCKS!!!!

Stick

just went to a simple but good restaurant today with a friend

(she is studying for her doctorate (phD?)in psychology and told me I am utterly mad about a certain miss....)

:rotfl:

and it cost me 140 euros including a good but not expansive bottle of red wine......

and it was a simple restaurant.

Mr Stickman , long time no see lol ,

to rejuvenate the Belgian/NZ friendship the following must be said : when BelBoy says he cannot imagine that an Italian restaurant can cost 110 ? he is right insofar as Italian resaturants are typically economical places to have a reasonable meal for 2 at probably 25 ? or even less and you do not get just crap. There are loads of them all over the place in Europe .

Your famous Angelini's seems to run under the Italian restarant flag but with an entirely different approach . You could as well open a Som Tam place with the Vienna Philharmonics playing every Saturday and a restaurant manager who speaks 200 languages . Som Tam for 2 costing 235,76 ? and not 60 Baht any more in that case .

The "Angelini's " being voted best hotel restaurant wordwide throws me from the chair , new to me . I will visit the establishment at the very next occasion investing 5000 Baht and a short footwalk , I hope you are right .

BuBi

Stickman said:

Have you been to Angelini?s? If you can get that quality of experience in Europe for 5,000 Thai baht I very much doubt it. This place is absolutely top notch and I am absolutely sure that you would be VERY lucky to find tat quality in Europe at that price. I mean this place is SUPER FLASH.

Yes I have been a few times the last few years, last time inviting colleges of my GF to celebrate her departure..... paid about 32K Bt for 7, was way overpaid for shite service, no room at all, but good food.

So, yes, I guess I can compare unlike you, and I do not need a book to do so.

drogon asks for romantic places, not good food, to take a gal there on a romanticdate is a disaster waiting to happen.....

Super flash ???? no way.

All in my humble opinion of course.....

BB

Guest lazyphil

StickMan, i wasn't talking about ROME, i'm talking about a FEW rustic places in the foothills of the alps, not in lonely planet, with AMAZING surroundings, the food was excellent, ok, i step back i dont recall having COCKTAILS and was 2 course not 3, but under 50 pounds (5000 baht), i dont equate fine dining/high quality/romance with just OVER opulent trimmings and surroundings. BUT I get your drift, I misunderstood the THRUST of your post before.

CORDIALLY. :)

Guest lazyphil

ok not right to compare, i still claim the food i ate was proberbly nicer (i.e. Guinness tastes better in Ireland etc) even if the decor in the restaurant wasn't as glitzy/superflash :rolleyes: .....anyway,what was the point in the first place you comparing prices in a developing country to a developed one....apples and oranges ::

You claim the food you ate was "probably nicer" but didn't see the rival Stickman food that existed in another place and another time and was consumed by a different human being? :dunno:

I demand that you regurgitate that food and allow the rest of us to judge.

Failing that, poo samples.

Archived