Romantic dinner?

drogon

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want Italian and romantic in Bangkok, there is only one choice - Angelini's at the Shangri-La. It is exquisite. Have a couple of cocktails in the bar adjascent to the restaurant before dining. Just remember to make a reservation a week before and ask for an "upstairs table". You will not be disappointed.

For such high quality it is also surprisignly affordable. A couple of cocktails each before hand, 2-3 courses each and a drink or two with your dinner each runs around 5,000 baht. For such quality, that is, in my opinion, a very fair price. The music in the bar area is very good too, so you can make a whole evening of it.

Stick

each runs around 5,000 baht

Choke, splutter... :o ...that's 10,000 for two?

I really am a cheap bastard after all, I'd want a good week's worth of "romance" afterwards after that bill was settled. Or, I'd just go on my own and save 5000 baht for Nanaplaza afterwards.

My vote, if taking a nice b/g, is the river dinner cruise, good value without overkill.

SC, I read it as B5k all in, not each.

My favs for a romantic Thai dinner are Maha Naga on Suk soi 29 or Benjawong in the Dusit Thani:

bandus01p007.jpg

These two are in the same price range as Sticky's suggestion.

But be aware that neither are BG friendly, no matter how she dresses IMHO, *unless* she really knows how to act, i.e., had a middle class upbringing or at the very least is an educated girl who has proper manners. Drogon, I expect a soi 33 or coyote dancer gal would do just fine, while an NEP gal would just be laughed at and mistreated.

Don't really have any fav romantic Italian places. I'd second L'Opera for that, I guess. Can't ever go wrong eating there. I do hear good things about Il Cielo in the Dusit Thani, but have never eaten there.

Cheers,

SD

No worries SD, us ex-KIWI's are vague at best and unless the subject matter involves sheep, the intimate and romantic friendship of :o:shakehead or eating therefore of, our minds tend to wander...

The Scottish blood in me says that some of the most romantic dinners have occured 4me on the side of Sukhumvit Rd at about 1.30am...a belly-full of beer, a bowl of soup and a sweetie plucked from NP as it was closing...how romantic is that??? All for 60 baht or so...

At the end Soi 11 is a spot called L'Piola. Based on the traditional Italian Inn. No menu , they just serve you whatever the chef has prepared for the day. Not cheap but well worth the indulgence. Cater for herbivours and carnivors.

"LA PIOLA"

31/4 Sukhumvit Rd., Soi Sukhumvit 11, (CHAIYOS)

KLONGTOEY NUA, WATTANA BANGKOK.

If I wasn't such a "techno-pesent" I would paste a map.

Head down SOI 11 as far as you can until you come to the dog-leg near the bars and where that nite-club is, you know the one in the shape of a toilet roll. Straight past the toilet roll, turn right, head past the 7-11 and you can't miss it. Happy journey.

No, that was 5,000 baht for two, as Suadum confirmed. Remember, the OP said money was not a great issue - and we are only talking about 110 Euros in his money. NO WAY could you get this quality for this price in Europe.

5,000 baht might sound like a lot, but Anglini's is exquisite.

I have to confess that as much as I like Italian, I have not tried L'Opera. With the consensus here that it is excellent, it is now on my to do list.

Stick

Stickman said:

No, that was 5,000 baht for two, as Suadum confirmed. Remember, the OP said money was not a great issue - and we are only talking about 110 Euros in his money. NO WAY could you get this quality for this price in Europe.

5,000 baht might sound like a lot, but Anglini's is exquisite.

I have to confess that as much as I like Italian, I have not tried L'Opera. With the consensus here that it is excellent, it is now on my to do list.

Stick

Stick,

er..... remind me how many times you have been to Europe to spend Euro 110 for 2 on Italian food ????

BB

drogon ,

over the last maybe 10 months I have taken various female Thai citizens , birds of the night and GTG-s , for romantic dinners for mainly 3 reasons :

Public relations to impress them with BuBi-lifestyle

To find out if they are worth a further dinner

To find out if they can behave in public

You should avoid mistakes like choosing Scirocco or similar upscale places because your sweetheart might not feel well because she thinks everybody watches her , I have learned this lesson. You said before she is from Bangkok , probably then it is not too bad . Apart from this , the Sciocco is way overpriced and the food mediocre .

" Romantic " to me means a table in maximum 0,50 meter distance from the river , soft music and staff that does everything for you . I could now say something further but I don't , only that by saying "river " I do not mean the Mississippi .

BuBi

Archived