Middle East crisis.

Guest baldrick

Possibly Lieberman if his ticket had won and he ran on his own and won. He was a very centrist Democrat.

Maybe. But since then he has had his lips firmly around GOP cock. He has voted GOP party line on everything since Bush was elected and has even spoken out against his own party. He's in trouble now as his constituants (sp?) are pissed and looking for a Dem, not a Rethug in Dem clothes. He's gonna lose this reelection campaign.

Good riddance.

Regards,

SD

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, Lieberman is a hawk. He's very centrist and sometimes right of center. He was at the forefront for wanting to censor hollywood, which is usually what only the religious far right wants. He may be orthodox but he still has very centrist if not right of center views on a variety of topics.

Suadum you make my point when I say it will probably take a jewish politician to reign Israel in. Liberman would I suspect, for a number of reasons, including not looking like a tool of the Israelis since he's jewish and orthodox. He may go out of his way to not be viewed as their 'poodle' as the Brits like to say.

He may lose his re-election. I don't know the polling for Connecticut, but if he were in the White House, he'd be a conservative democrat. What they call a DINO (Democrat In Name Only). There are RINOs as well for republicans.

Dislaimer: This is not a "veiled personal attack" on anyone.

Do you guys think the explosion of Islamic nationalism/jihadism we are experiencing in our time is a result of the existence of Israel?

Or is it something that was due anyway?

I go for the view that its time was due for various reasons but that the existence of Israel didn't hurt it none.

bin Laden doesn't site Israel at all during the '90s and over the last couple years, post 911 has jumped on the 'evil Israel' bandwagon. His main beef was U.S. military presense in the holy lands (Saudi Arabia) that contain mecca and medina.

Hamas, Hezbullah and the rest of the palestinian groups, had a tacit, unwritten agreement with the U.S. They didn't come here and we didnt go there. Arafat enforced it and it was understood. We went to Lebonon in the '80s and that broke that unsaid agreement and that's when they bombed our barracks.

There has long been palestinian organizations in the U.S. posing as charities but were raising funds for Hamas, etc. We knew about it and looked the other way. Part of the tacit, unsaid agreement.

The main problem is our presense in Iraq. Afghanistan was understood by many in the Arab world as something we had to do. Iraq was different.

Yes, but this is a world-wide phenomenon, a World War as seen (and personally experienced) by many, especially the Jihadists.

Canada, for example, has uncovered a Guy Fawkes sort of plot by native born Muslims in Toronto and yet Canada isn't involved in Iraq.

The current movement didn't start because of hatred for Israel. It started from bin Laden taking the fight to the U.S. borders. As I said, he didn't do it because of Israel.

America was off limits to terrorists. Either out of fear or whatever, American soil was not f**ked with.

I think America's reputation had a lot to do with us not being attacked on the soil. bin Laden had been saying for years that america 'had no belly' and were a 'paper tiger' which suggests that fellow terorists were unwilling to attack U.S. soil due to fear of reprisals.

America didn't help by its weak (or considered weak by terrorists) response to the first World Trade bombing, USS Cole, african embassy bombings and the like. They pushed the enveope due to a perceived weakness.

I think its amazing that there hasn't been a 2nd domestic bombing yet. Its either great intelligence/defensive work or sheer luck or perhaps somewhere inbetween.

The US has a history of starting out slow and after the learning curve be very effective if there is a concerted public will by all factions. (ie WWII, building a Hydrogen bomb in 4 years; putting a man on the moon in '69 in a decade when it was behind the USSR and having no idea how it was going to be done when the decision to try was made; having almost 30 year old stealth technology that has yet to be breached)

Splutter.

"Do you guys think the explosion of Islamic nationalism/jihadism we are experiencing in our time is a result of the existence of Israel?

Or is it something that was due anyway?"

The Islamic revival (if that's what it is) would probably have happened anyway but perhaps without the violence. A lot of Arab nationalists see Israel as an impediment to Pan-Arab Nationalism and part of a Western plot to suppress and humiliate them. That's where the anger comes from.

Archived