Middle East crisis.

Guest baldrick

Just to go back a bit to the original theme of this thread...

Those Hezbollah fellas are fighting like tigers, eh?

From the Associated Press:

"BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah acknowledges that Israeli troops can sweep across south Lebanon. But if he and his militants can survive and keep fighting, he will cement his image as the unlikely new hero of Arab nationalism."

Blowing up teenagers in pizza parlours is easier I guess than taking on those Jews out in the open man to man. But, no matter, victory is assured. God is great.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't American Jews overwhelmingly vote Democrat?

I think they do. So what? The house gave Bush a green light for war with Iraq. The house just voted 410 to 8 to support Israel in this new crisis. Israel needs weapons and money? They get it. Support for Israel is a given whichever party is in power.

I was asking' date=' Chuck, why people here are talking about this "Jewish vote" having so much influence.

But since you are so gracious in your response...

What's with the agressive and almost hysterical postings ("the US would gladly sacrifice a carrier or two" or something to that effect, for example - are you out of your mind?) from you in this thread anyway? Reading some of them I was even briefly wondering if it was someone else writing. You sound unusually peeved, to put it mildly.[/quote']

Not peeved. Not even mildly. Just trying to think things through. I think that particular remark was in response to something to do with the Iran situation. Somebody was talking about Pentagon planners. I can't go back to the post but I'm sure the Pentagon have factored in losing a carrier or two. They'd be remiss if they didn't given the kind of missiles Iran has these days. I doubt if they'd do it 'gladly'. Did I really say that?

I think the Jewish influence on American politics, finance and the media is obvious. I don't know why you try to deny it. I'm not saying it's bad...just a fact. The Jews are an amazingly talented race of people. Of course anybody who talks about conspiracies is a kook.

Just to go back a bit to the original theme of this thread...

Those Hezbollah fellas are fighting like tigers, eh?

From the Associated Press:

"BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah acknowledges that Israeli troops can sweep across south Lebanon. But if he and his militants can survive and keep fighting, he will cement his image as the unlikely new hero of Arab nationalism."

Blowing up teenagers in pizza parlours is easier I guess than taking on those Jews out in the open man to man. But, no matter, victory is assured. God is great.

Sounds like they are being realistic. And candid. Quite a refreshing contrast to all the usual spin.

It's been mentioned a bit already, but the Jewish vote is concentrated in large cities in states with many electoral votes. The way the US presidential system works, a majority of even just one vote gives a candidate all of the electoral votes of that state -- which is why you can have a "winner" in a presidential race who actually got fewer votes than the "loser". (It has happened 3 or 4 times.)

Thus Jewish voters have considerably greater power than their numbers would suggest.

OK, so what is to keep a last term president from going off on an anti Isreal note? Of the national 2% Jewish vote, what recentage of the new york and Florida voters are Jewish?

What would happen if the Democrats and the Republicans both decided to cut off aide to Isreal? then who would get the Jewish vote?

A problem I have with ALL single issue voters is they never look at the big picture...I know guys who would vote for GWB again, just because he is anti abortion, and or claims to be a christian, never mind that he is against everything else that is in their best/better interests...

What would happen if the Democrats and the Republicans both decided to cut off aide to Isreal? then who would get the Jewish vote?

A problem I have with ALL single issue voters is they never look at the big picture...

OH, in my view, things change usually (and somtimes only)when you have someone from that group goes against the status quo. The Civil Rights bill could only be done by a southerner (LBJ), only a far right Republican could pull off a trip to red china (Nixon) or a liberal Democrat make a massive cut in social welfare (Clinton). I think the same would probably have to happen regarding Israel. I think it would take a prominent jewish politician in the states to do it. Possibly Lieberman if his ticket had won and he ran on his own and won. He was a very centrist Democrat.

Going back to the original post. I will continue to say that our (the west) problems in the middle east are pretty much directly or indirectly related to our reliance on the oil there. It will always provide a reason to have a presence there. Ween ourselves off it and in the long run it could even ease tensions with Israel. Its the strongest, most diversified economy in the region and if the region had no more oil sell and need to conduct business, some would swallow their hate a little and do business with Israel. The Palestinian businessmen already do. Both groups culturally have eons of experience as traders and middle men. The Lebonese are prominant in a lot of areas outside the middle east as middle men. Africa for one in some regions, along with Indians.

Going back to the original post. I will continue to say that our (the west) problems in the middle east are pretty much directly or indirectly related to our reliance on the oil there. It will always provide a reason to have a presence there. Ween ourselves off it and in the long run it could even ease tensions with Israel. Its the strongest, most diversified economy in the region and if the region had no more oil sell and need to conduct business, some would swallow their hate a little and do business with Israel. The Palestinian businessmen already do. Both groups culturally have eons of experience as traders and middle men. The Lebonese are prominant in a lot of areas outside the middle east as middle men. Africa for one in some regions, along with Indians.

Maybe but what do you do about the underlying mistrust? Israel gets scared if Arab states grow too powerful. Arabs are scared of Jewish financial domination.

Archived