WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

My mate flew into Supermariobum and when customs checked him he had a bit too much fuel in his zippo lighter.

He was beaten to within an inch of his life, circumcised and had his prostate checked. To get out of the instant death penalty he's recieved it looks like he will have to sell his house and business and let them give him a vasectomy if he wants any real chance of freedom.

Cheers

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH-

The reason behind this new "crackdown" is the high technology exray scans as the new airport and these guys are ven paying attention...State of the art I am told which will line their pockets even more it seems.

But when I came back to the states 3 days ago I was fully tossed by the customs guys here-they found nothing but what dickheads and the stupid questions they asked... More on that in another thread I am about to start...

No hoax!

Well ok, I don't know that this particular account isn't a hoax.

But there have been many similar instances of this reported on the FLB board over the past two years. In April a friend of mine here in Pattaya started to tell me the story of what had happened to his uncle in the car park at Don Muang when he was found to be in possession of multiple cartons of cigarettes--- I interrupted and finished the story. I think the "fine" was 30K baht. Some guys have had to pay into 6 figures.

I doubt it has anything to do with high tech x-ray machines. They simply look for duty free bags and seem to prefer to make the "collar" in the car park where they now apparently have a van, air conditioned no doubt.

-redwood

My cousins friend is financing his life in Pattaya with smuggeling cigarettes to Germany :) One essential thing that makes this happen is that at Frankfurt Airport you walk out of the plane, show your passport and you are in public area already, the baggage claim entrance is only accesable from the public are. This guy brings the biggest possible trolley as a handluggage. No bags, nothing else!

He also is bringing goods into Thailand, he once told me that they don't check bags with a first class label out of respect! Can anyone confirm?

"" This guy brings the biggest possible trolley as a handluggage. No bags, nothing else!""

I don't want to spoil your party mate , but in Frankfurt there is a customs checking area after the passport control and before the baggage claim . A guy with a trolley full of ciggies would face the end of his career at that point .

Can't confirm that Thai customs adores First Class labels but what what I can confirm is that a guy who makes his living smuggling cigarettes and travels First is a successful businessman .

BuBi

I have send the TAT an email. I don't know if they will bother answering, but here it is:

I have been hearing alarming reports regarding the customs department at Suvarnabhumi Airport. It seems that bringing in more 1 carton of cigarettes and 1 litre of hard liquor per person can lead to detention of several hours and leads to fines in excess of 100,000 baht.

Can you inform me what the oficial rules and fines are regarding import of tobacco and hard liquor into thailand?

Thank you very much.

I'll get back to this thread if they bother to answer.

Today I received a pretty useless reply; it says you can bring in 1 litre of spirits and 200 cigarettes per person, but not what the fines are.

Dear Sirs, As below is the official rules by Thai Customs , for more information you might visit their website at http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp Duty Free Allowance The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction. However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows: · 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco · 1 litre of spirituous liquor. Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned. Best Regards, Yotvadee

Best regards,

TourismThailand.org

10/20/2006 10:58:25 AM

I couldn't find the info on the customs website, so I emailed the TAT again:

Dear sir,

I searched the website of the thai customs department, but it doesn't say what the fines are. I was not so much shocked by the quantities you can import into thailand, but I was alarmed by the rumours of the exorbitant fines the custom department seems to extort. Is it possible that you can find out what the fines should be for exceeding the tax free amount op alcohol and cigarettes? Thank you very much.

Let's see how helpful the TAT really is.

OH-

The reason behind this new "crackdown" is the high technology exray scans as the new airport and these guys are ven paying attention...State of the art I am told which will line their pockets even more it seems.

But when I came back to the states 3 days ago I was fully tossed by the customs guys here-they found nothing but what dickheads and the stupid questions they asked... More on that in another thread I am about to start...

Don't get me started on the Customs asholes in the USA, I ranted about this before, look foreword to your account, I think I allready kbnow how it goes...been getting it for years from these assholes, seems to be getting worse, think I found a way out of it! :) please post your experience.

Archived