WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for sure if inquiring at customs they'll be happy to give out a leaflet with the going fines ;)

Funny customs... a couple of months ago flying from HKG with chinese GF, we went to visa on arrival section and while processing her visa got a survey to fill...it asked if we ever were asked a bribe at this section of the custom... and how much !! I was drunk of all the cool booze TG had pooring into my glass during the f class flight and was almost hilarious ticking "no" or "never" to every question... what would happen to the visa processing of those who dared to reply "Yes" ? one more survey result to take with a pinch of salt...

Funniest was upon following GF in the "Visa on arrival" lane, where one usually only picks up his passport already stamped in the inside office, custom officer said in english something like I'm on the wrong lane, than in thai: "Ko tip noi". "please give me some tip". I smiled and moved to the Apec lane where the officer didn't blink and let me get at least some feeling of priority ... than the F attendants took care of us again and we could go on not so peacefully to this long life of insanity...

being a smoker i wouldn't dream of taking ciggies to Thailand.

a pack of 20 in the UK costs/did cost the equivalent of around 300+ Bt.

i roll my own and spend around 280 Bt for a pack of tobacco which lasts a Week.

but i need the harsh effect of a ciggie which jump-starts my lungs each morning.

Krung Thip work for me and the coughing when i light up the 1st of the Day gets me off on the right foot.

thank god the UK are not so draconian.

i would normally bring back 2000 Thai ciggies on my return to the UK which cost me around 700 Bt.

luckily i have never been stopped but thenormal practice in the UK is to charge the extra duty or confiscate the goods,normally your choice.

for 700 Bt they can keep the ciggies and i can just get on my way.

I heard some months ago about the mother of a teacher at Harrow who arrived at Don Muang loaded down with her favourite cancer sticks from the UK. They were plainly marked, since she hadn't even thought about any limits.

Customs took one look and slapped a huge fine on her -- forget how much, but it was more than her round trip plane fare. Looks like the folks at Swampypoom are just being more diligent.

And in all my years of coming to LOS I've only ever seen customs people twice at Don Muang, and they've allways been busy not searching anyone, talking to themselves.

I wonder if it'ts just flights from NZ that they ignored, and if they'll ignore flights from NZ at the new 'port.

Cheers

Coss

Coss,

I've never been stopped myself over many years and tons of trips over. I usually bring 2 quarts of Irish whiskey with me (2 qts being the limit to bring into the states, I just thought the Thais would have something similar). That'll stop now I guess. No way I am letting myself open for some outrageous fine for a bottle extra of booze. These fines seem particularly over the top in their amounts.

Cent

There is often a brisk cigarette trade at the Cambodian borders with Thailand. At Koh Kong, dozens of cigarette vendors line the road aproaching the border crossing. I don't smoke, but I believe they sell common brands for about $4.00 a carton.

I wonder if Thai customs at land crossings will start dipping their fingers into the same rice bowl.

Archived