WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

What I've heard they're looking for tax free purchases. If you want to buy something in the US and put it inside your luggage probably nobody will care.

Also those had to pay fines I've heard of all had purchased their toll free cartons in Doha and Dubai.

One TG living in Denmark since 17 years (she's 24) always asks me to buy the red Marlboro in BKK airport for her as it's much better (and cheaper - 540 baht) than the one she can buy in Copenhagen. But she says that the Marlboro you buy inside Thailand is just cheap copies.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perspective wise these fines are outrageous if true on ThaiVisa.com. 3,000pounds (over 200K THB).

I say this given that fines on most CRIMES in Thailand including rather serious offenses such as assault will be under the law : "a fine of no more than 15,000 baht and up to two years in prison"

These fines by the police are obvious rip offs. Even if they taxed them 100% on the value of the goods it wouldn't add up unless these guys were carrying some top shelf hooch :o :o 30 Year Glenfiddich (3 liters)? :beer:

Fleecing the tourists to line the coffers once again in the Land of Smiles is what is going on here. So, the law is being abused and that's not "enforcement" to me. I don't agree with OH.

I think its lax of the Thais not to provide the information along with the arrival cards, as well since they've ELIMINATED the Customs Declaration form begin required for all passengers about a year or two ago. That form told the legal amounts for imports just like a Customs form arriving in say... California does...

Not telling visitors the rules is not wrong, but IMHO it is also not "stand up" policy.

Best,

theNumbers

I have send the TAT an email. I don't know if they will bother answering, but here it is:

I have been hearing alarming reports regarding the customs department at Suvarnabhumi Airport. It seems that bringing in more 1 carton of cigarettes and 1 litre of hard liquor per person can lead to detention of several hours and leads to fines in excess of 100,000 baht.

Can you inform me what the oficial rules and fines are regarding import of tobacco and hard liquor into thailand?

Thank you very much.

I'll get back to this thread if they bother to answer.

How do you think they are going to pay for the new airport, I always take the legal amounts as the duty free store I buy from say you can take more at your OWN risk and I mean YOUR OWN RISK, if you take more than who needs a lesson in costumes law.

Archived