WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

"...I leave LOS next Friday with two suitcases of cushons made for the teak furniture that I imported to sell and don't expect any problems with it with U.S. customs..."

If you are passing through California, and you get stopped, expect problems! Many have had the pillows/cusions etc taken. In fact, they specifically ask me if I have any, damned near every time. Has something to do with what they are stuffed with...synthetic stuffing is suposedly o.k. Organic may not be...just a heads up. I have seen where they cut them open for a sample...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The popular triangular cushions are stuffed with "Nun" kapok, I believe same material used for life jackets during ww2. You may want to inquire in advance if this material will pose any problems bringing into the US.

You can buy them without the stuffing although I have yet to find a material that is as suitable for stuffing as kapok.

cheers

hn

If there is one lesson we can draw from this, and the immigration and passport postings over the years, it is that while law enforcement can be lax for long periods of time, strict enforcement can commence for no apparent reason, and for those who get swept up, the effects can be nasty.

"I know in California, and many states, anything over 100 proof (50%) is not allowed...you can have some stuff"

Are you sure? As far as I know, Bacardi Rum 151 (75.5% alchol is still being sold).

I have gotten in Mexico stronger stuff and had no problem. I just kept it to a 2 bottle limit.

As of right now, I am not sure of 151 rum...It *was* for a time banned. Grain alchol (like 90+% alcohol) is still banned as far as I know. I did bring 151 rum back from Jamaica, but I landed in Florida first...I'll call the liquor store later and find out...

OK - here was my experience - probably stupid of me but I was suprised. I was leaving Thailand in mid-October after going through ticketing, immigration and customs you enter an area where they have all of the duty-free shops before you get to your gate. Having a few hundred baht left after airport tax I decided to spend it on one bottle of nice gin. I threw it into my carry-on as I had, of course already checked my baggage. When I went down to the gate they do a last baggage check by hand. They told me I could not take the bottle of gin - just purchased at duty-free not five minutes before - and kept it. Yes, they said they would check it for but all I had was my small hand-carry luggage with some medicine, books and various travel items. I didn't want to give up my bag - so I gave up my bottle. Just seemed strange that the duty-free would sell it knowing customers would be unable to "check" it at that time.

Maybe it was because I was going to America - where the rules are stricter than other destinations (foolish actually) and other destinations do not have that same situation. But it was a little disappointing - was looking forward to a nice gin and tonic when I arrived home.

Anyone else have this happen?

AllenBlue

>whisky/brandy that costs $200 a piece<

I'll bite .. what the f' is $200. per ..

& I want a shot.

I've purchased $100. bottles before & personally would have a hard time distinguishing from the $40. - $50. bottles.

even I can taste big difference between the $25. bottle & the $40. bottle.

At the Oriental's river view piano bar I got side by side 600Thb & 1300Thb shot cognacs .. 99% indistinguishable to my pallet (occurred to me the out of view bartender poured as he wished)

was in a restaurant / club (?name? out door 2 story 'piano bar' 65th(+/-) floor on the Chao Praya ) not long ago that had Cognac for 13.5k Thb per shot! ($300. per shot!)

.. the waitress said it was very good ..

.. we went for the 800 Thb Cognac enjoyed the sunset & split.

Yes, I was going to purchase some purfume on board the flight between SFO-NRT, then NRT-BKK...the Flight attendent came back and said, not a good idea to buy it now, the security guys will take it in NRT, better you buy it NRT-BKK...which I did...frankly, the whole thing is just plain stupid...you can buy the booze on board, or purfume (both flamable) but not in the duty free shops, oh, and no signs up telling you you can't bring it on either...now, I did hear they were holding the duty free items until after you were ready to arrive (NOT SURE ON THIS!!) which is also stupid...just goes to show how rediculis laws can get...

"I know in California, and many states, anything over 100 proof (50%) is not allowed...you can have some stuff"

Are you sure? As far as I know, Bacardi Rum 151 (75.5% alchol is still being sold).

I have gotten in Mexico stronger stuff and had no problem. I just kept it to a 2 bottle limit.

Just called BEV MO (chain of cheap booze stores) 151 Rum is now sold in California, additionally, Everclear Grain Alcohol is also sold, BUT not the 100% stuff, the guy on the phone was not sure on the proof...so yes, changes have been made, and thus, the info I gave before is now wrong/out dated...

Archived