Explosions in Bangkok

Alfmaz

I have had a brief look on a Bangkok map to get an idea where the bombs went off . The way they spread the events all over the place and the fact that muslim bombers do not waste their time with placing 6 bombs that kill 3 people makes me believe this was nothing but a strong warning from whomever. Hardcore killers with a sense for desaster would have chosen Siam Station at 16:30 .

BuBi

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CT,

But the Thais in the south have learned to get it right by now - especially if they were trying to expand their reach to Bangkok (something puzzlingly absent over recent years) they'd likely do it very well. If it was 'restive South' related, or at least carried out by the more organised aspects of the southern groups, I'd expect to see more casualties.

As long as I'm allowed to pull theories out of my ass, I'd guess that it's either anti-coup actors trying to undermine the generals and encourage a return to non-Army kleptocracy (though probably not Mr. T himself, who should be busy squirreling away his money these days and settling in for a long stay away)... To my mind, the generals lose the most with these attacks, as their claims about an end to political acrimony and solutions to the southern problem both seem very hollow today. Their enemies could be BiB with private grievances, or Isaan jao paw who were riding high when T's democracy could still be had for a reasonable price.

Alternately, it could be an offshoot of the Southern Muslims, some southern Thai guys who decided on their own to bring it to Bangkok, but lacked the wherewithal to do it on a large scale... They didn't go very big or attack easy 'immorality' targets (unless Buddy Bar is their idea of sinning...), but are sending a simple local message of fear and control -- I wouldn't expect international Islamists to be behind this.

In any event, a sad night for Thailand. Let's hope that it's a one-night affair!

YimSiam

But this is exactly the tatics of the southern muslims. Just this past August, they set off 21 bombs that killed 3 people. And again in August 2 small explosions.

There has been many bomb explosions in Southern Thailand, but they were not anywhere as near as devasting as they could have been. Most of the people killed have been by assination.

I just don't see how this is different. I think the Bangkok authorities are unwilling to admit that there is any threat to Bangkok other then "under currents"

TH

I concede that its still too soon after the event to make definative statements as to whose behind these atrocities without hard evidence. My fear is that this could go on for weeks with no clear understanding of its cause until another wave of bombs go off.

Ths current Thai Gov is just not inducing confidence in its handling;reporters & ministerial/military officers are publicly speculating, seemingly detemined to rule out a islamic motive and throwing out best guess shots. They seem like a bunch of headless chikens running loose.

The mystery of the arrested culprit and the lack of any information forthcoming is amazing.

JP

I think the Bangkok authorities are unwilling to admit that there is any threat to Bangkok other then "under currents"

I agree. The Thais typically deny and frame things in the least threatening manner regardless of the reality.TIT

ANY REPORTS ON THE ASSHOLE THEY SUSPECT OF HAVING A BOMB?

Archived