Explosions in Bangkok

Alfmaz

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sincerely hope you're not inferring I would want every muslim wiped off the earth.

No not at all which is why I used the word "some." Humanity has taken such a downhill slide in the last couple of decades. There was a time when this type of conflict was contained and in-frequent but now it seems that every time something like this happens everyone is quite happy to point the finger at a particular group. I remember when the Oklahoma bombing took place I was in Nashville and everyone immediately was saying to me that muslims had blown up the building. My point is that people need to just hold back with assertions until the true culprits are identified. As for the second part of my post I stand by that 100%. :beer:

I'm not saying Taksin or his supporters were involved, but motivation could be ;

"Look, the current government is so weak. This would NEVER happen under me and even if it did I would kill the mongrels out of hand. Push for me to come back".

and of course the other mob are going manipulate the situation as well.

God help us all

The current government has a vested interest to blame pro-Thaksin supporters for these bombings. This would further discredit Thaksin and would be less harmful to the tourist and foreign investment sectors.

The available evidence still points to the insurgents as being responsible. This type of coordinated attack would take many months of planning; longer than Thaksin has been ousted.

I have seen a list of places and what has been hit and at what time on another web site but donâ??t want to copy some person work, but this was done by people who had no idea where the tourist went by the places that the bombs went off.

I know where it would have made a big impact in Bangkok thatâ??s why Iâ??m not naming place. I think, not in my life time, people are going to stop traveling, I will still travel as I have more chance of being hit by a bus or a car in Bangkok than I would be by a bomb.

It makes no sense to guess who was behind what...I woudl rather address how the situation was handled; that is what will give Thailand a negative view.

We were at Central World Plaza (Ratchaprasong ) for the festivities at 8:30. Even with the earlier bombings things seemed very orderly there and people were having a lot of fun. The police were checking people's bags coming into the street and then a fist-fight broke out and for about 10 minutes it was bedlam at the north end of the street as dozens of police swarmed in.

Eventually it calmed down but there was tension in the air for sure. On stage an announcer (in Thai of course) said there was no need to have to fun spoiled by the bombs and let the party continue!

That lasted about 10 minutes and then Governor Apirak came on stage and announced (in Thai) that because of the bombs and security issues the rest of the night was canceled and people should go home.

It was an orderly procession out as more than 200,000 (guessing) people started to leave. The problem at that point was that there must have been several thousand farang tourists who had no idea what was going on because nothing was said in English. As most people were leaving the area, many tourists were still arriving and I had several ask me what was going on.

With the potential for real problems, and with thousands of tourists at the scene, you would think the Governor of Bangkok (who speaks fluent English) could have taken 30 seconds and made some announcement in English...

Thanks for the eye witness account Doc.

"With the potential for real problems, and with thousands of tourists at the scene, you would think the Governor of Bangkok (who speaks fluent English) could have taken 30 seconds and made some announcement in English..."

Yeah well, welcome to Thailand.

Government Spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp told a news conference that the incidents were apparently the work of ill-intentioned people who wished to create disturbances in the country.

I hereby nominate Kh. Yongyuth for this week's "No Shit, Sherlock" award.

The news reports made the front page of the International Herald Tribune, so it is now international news.

BANGKOK, Thailand: At least six small bombs exploded around Bangkok late Sunday, followed by two more just after midnight, killing two people and injuring at least 28 in a city that remains under martial law following a coup three months ago. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

New Year's celebrations were cancelled both in Bangkok and in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

International Herald Tribune Article about Bangkok Bombings

I guess they were 'officially' cancelled and everyone I was with was a bit on edge, but the celebrations certainly continued unofficially in NEP, Ratachada and Thonglor last night. Security was tighter than I can recall (a Cohiba cigar case I had in my pocket got attention when I went into one place; I think one guy thought it was a dildo) and some spent the entire night text messaging each other about the bombings (with speculation similiar what we see here.) I made a point of locating the emergency exit at one major disco I visited and asking for a table nearby.

I didn't see any signs of a bombing at the Marriott, but I saw a bit of stir outside the Marriott early in the night. Security guys were going through the plants in front of the Marriott and found 'something'. They were presumably checking the perimeter because of what happended earlier. I don't know if the 'something' they found was the practical equivalent of my cigar case or something more sinister. I didn't stick around to find out and they weren't telling anyway.

OH said: â??I really believe the world has turned madâ?Â, and I can appreciate why many feel that way (I am supposed to be â??Mr. Doom and Gloomâ? after all), but here is, perhaps, a holiday gift for those who feel this way. A bit of rationality and a proposal for reasonable discourse between those who may disagree about various recent events, but share certain fundamental values. You can find it here A Little Sanity and Civility

As for Thailand, it is in a period of transition. Things are in flux. I have some ideas on what is driving what is happening here, but I will save that for a separate post when I am not so hungover.

[color:reed]

"and then a fist-fight broke out and for about 10 minutes it was bedlam at the north end of the street as dozens of police swarmed in."

[/color]

This sounds very similar to what Mr. T. planned so he could initiate martial law.

With General Sonthi out of the country, this could have been an oportune time for Mr. T. to make his move.

Archived