Explosions in Bangkok

Alfmaz

Who ever said it was Muslim extremist?

There are a lot of groups that would love to blame the Moslems for this one, but all indications is it doesn't look like there work.

What indications do you see that it is NOT Muslim insurgents?

Small bombs exploding at multiple places simultaneously; targeting markets, police, restaurants/bars, and tourist areas is all a signature of the insurgents. In the South they have targeted restaurants, bars, banks, markets, and police.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only the groups that are very conservative and don't accept any new ideas are stuck in a rather primitive state of evolution. The religion of Islam has focused this fault because it isn't a growing religion. According to Islam, everything that needs to be learned is in the Koran, end of discussion. So all new ideas are evil and must be attacked. [/b]

Which makes the irony of destroying the major progressive secular state in the region, Iraq, so much greater.

OK some of you guys are read up on the subject of inciting terror to justify an action. This may well be some group of people trying to stir shit up, so action will be taken against someone else. Until we know, all speculation...

As for muslims and jews, the middle east, I say 1 or 2 solutions. 1) we ignore them all, no foreign aid, no immigration to our countries (we all, as in all decent civilized countries) stop giving them visa, kick them out, send them home. Let them choke on their oil, We do the same with the Isrealis. We let them kill eachother. Hands off for 5 years, then we go and make buddies with who ever is left.

Solutuion 2, we forgety we are decent humans, round these guys up, send them home, and make out right war from all sides...Isreal, Arabs, all of them, the whole world puts them down. No surrender, just final solution...then we decide an international distribution of the oil...

Or solution 3 we develope an alternative energy policy in the world, and say fuck all ya all mother fuckers, drown in your oil, and we cut off all aid to arabs and Isrealis. they want to kill each other, fine with us...oh, and we kick all of them out of our countries...except the family who runs the Palistinan market in Berkeley, I like them! :)

Well put, and it's that same sentiment that really saddens me about the whole situation.

Whoever the culprits are, they cause hardship to decent, good willed people, as happened in Bali to a primarily Hindu population who had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I hope the motivation wasn't religious, but I'm kind of fatalist in believing that failing some ingenious plan on the Thai government's part (I know, LOL), it is only a matter of time.

Anyway, happy new year.

The only thing that will make muslim extremists happy is to have every non-muslim wiped off the face of the earth.

I don't think so - as we've seen in Iraq and elsewhere, if they aren't busy fighting and killing non-muslims, they are busy fighting and killing muslims of a different sect, tribe or whatever.

I really believe that the majority of muslims are good and decent people, unfortunately there are too many crazy extremeists who can't adjust to the modern world and are stuck in a primitive tribal mindset. The only solution will be for the non-extremeist muslims to take a stand against the extremeists, which to-date they haven't shown an interest in doing. If that doesn't happen soon, I fear we are fast approaching WWIII.

Who ever said it was Muslim extremist?

There are a lot of groups that would love to blame the Moslems for this one' date=' but all indications is it doesn't look like there work.

...[/quote']

What indications do you see that it is NOT Muslim insurgents?

Small bombs exploding at multiple places simultaneously; targeting markets, police, restaurants/bars, and tourist areas is all a signature of the insurgents. In the South they have targeted restaurants, bars, banks, markets, and police.

Agreed it looks like yala muslims have arrived. Nonetheless, I'm taking the position it is taksin loyalists masquerading as muslims to discredit that head muslim General Sonthi. Once Sonthi demonstrates he cannot stop the bombs, next up is a revolt from within the military by those "willing to defend against the muslims."

Bet a hundred baht i'm on to something...

:xmascheer

Makes sense for the current goverment to blame Thaskin loyalists right off the bat, confirming they did the right thing by booting him out. Wasn't the southern unrest a big platform of the coup? If Sonthi had to admit they'd lost control and it's now moved into the capitol it'd be a huge loss of face.

Many posters in the early parts of this thread blamed the muslim extremists for the bombings. Its still very early days yet and none of us know the truth about it. My guess and just my own opinion is its more likely to be supporters of the former thaksin government. He and his cronies stand to loose their gravy train that has been making them billions of baht in total over the last few years if they can't get back into power soon. They would love to discredit and destabalise the new government. On the other hand why on earth would the muslims extremists in the south want to start a bombing campaign in Bangkok now when they have a government that is far more likely to negotiate with them than the previous hard line Thaksin attitude. Ok it may be a ploy by them to force concessions from a government keen to regain legitimacy in the eyes of the international community, but personally i see the hand of greedy Thaksin cronies eager to regain their fromer poll position in the race for the benefits of corruption in government contracts etc.

Simie.

Mailuk, since we're just speculating here (and I ain't no expert), I'll throw 100 baht in your corner. That's a very plausible theory, although I can't imagine it being successful, if exposed.

What will 100 baht pay for these days anyhow? I suppose we'll all have to meet at beer bars to settle the bets.

:)

Archived