The best restaurant in Bangkok is??

i find it not just surprising but pathetic. there are few, if any, cities where the local food is as good as it's here...yet the only restaurants mentioned are foie gras joints...

Seems to work different in Thailand though. The best food seems to be sold in places with plastic chairs, a tin roof and a squat toilet. The expensive places are often a let down.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@The best food seems to be sold in places with plastic chairs, a tin roof and a squat toilet@

Hhmmm... going to the restaurant is also about atmosphere... we might react to different vibes but I wouldn't consider having enjoyed a great meal if the setting and service wasn't also very good.

That's what I mean about expensive places being a let down.. The ambience might be good, but the food is not so great. I've never had a girl prefer somewhere posh over street food even though she's not paying.

I guess that depends upon the girls you go out with. Farm girls, sure. More sophisticated city girls, especially those who have travelled abroad and are educated...you're kidding me!

Cheers,

SD

@The best food seems to be sold in places with plastic chairs, a tin roof and a squat toilet@

Hhmmm... going to the restaurant is also about atmosphere... we might react to different vibes but I wouldn't consider having enjoyed a great meal if the setting and service wasn't also very good.

Isn't part of the whole "Star rating system" based on stuff other than the food? things like silver ware, serving methods, skill/education of Chef, and Maitre D, wine steward, China, wine list/cellar decor etc...?

Hence, the food could be same/better elsewhere, but not get the same acclaim if the facility is lacking in other areas.

That's what I mean about expensive places being a let down.. The ambience might be good' date=' but the food is not so great. I've never had a girl prefer somewhere posh over street food even though she's not paying.[/quote']

I guess that depends upon the girls you go out with. Farm girls, sure. More sophisticated city girls, especially those who have travelled abroad and are educated...you're kidding me!

Cheers,

SD

If you are talking about the low class whores you and I usually pull from Thermae, I'd say you are right about them being more comfortable eating fried rat in the street. But for the Higher end whores we pull from Soi 7 I'd beg to differ.

I think a lot also depends on the over all mood of the night. If you are out for a bit of fun and a lot of food, casual atmosphere and booze, then Ad makers might be the call, Vs a night where you/she is feeling more posh and reserved, then maybe a higher end place is on call (notice I can't name one). Though I have found many Thai girls regardless of background, do not like the rich cream based sauces on the typical French/Euro cuisine.

Either way, when you take a girl out, do you normally let her super size? I do! It really makes points with them! I think it is important to try and impress whores. I find an impressed well fed whore fucks better.

i think theres quite a bit of snobery going on here :smirk:

I tend to agree. My Neighbor's daughter just finished at the California Culinary Academy, and is doing her internship at a 5 star establishment in the city (I am sure you know it well, nose in the air). SHe told me the head chef there has told her, and she agrees, that most people eating there understand very little about the cuisine and the pairings of Wine and courses. She/they maintain most people eat there purely for snob appeal.

The example given is, a restaurant/Bistro run by the Culinary academy, in a crap neighborhood, basic decor, but kick ass food prepared by up coming chefs. SHe said the place hardly got noticed until a former student/chef there was written up in a food magazine, now the place is packed...same food, different decor, lower prices...and has a whole different "chic appeal" to it.

I recall my adopted mother telling some snobby kids about fleeing Europe during the war, how they ate anything they could, including snails. A girl said that was gross, to which A.M. replied "well my dear I guess if someone with a French accent served it to you on a fancy plate and charged you $50, you'd eat it and brag..." Snobery sells, and it sells big.

Elef Said:

"...Maybe Phil, still there're many restaurants worth 2 stars in BKK - mostly farang but also some thai ones. If we move to the 1 star IMO mostly thai restaurant would get that recognition..."

How would one really go about rating Thai cuisine to a 5 star level? Part of the whole food rating system as I understand it is how it compares to the standard, the training of the chef etc...hence, Thai/Asian being in a whole different class. It would be like comparing Bpai Kaprow Moo prepared by a Cordon Bleau Trained Chef VS. Noi the bar girl, or a Thai chef trained at a top Thai place...how would you decide which is best? compared to what standard? And how to determine what constitutes "5 star decor and standard" in a Thai setting.

BTW, Isn't the Oriental a 5 star place? or just the hotel? Seem to recall another top Bangkok place recently was rated higher, forget which one...might just be the hotel facility though.

Michelin definitions of the 3 stars (again)

A single star denotes "a very good restaurant in its category", two stars "excellent cooking, worth a detour", and three stars, "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey

So for a 3 star restaurant you're willing to go from far away just to eat and after that return without doing anything else.

"...The Michelin Red Guide is the Holy Grail of sorts, awarding up to three stars. One star indicates "interesting"; two stars indicate a place well worth visiting if one is in the vicinity; three stars means "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey." Stars are awarded strictly for cuisine and service; a separate scale of 1 to 5 denotes luxury, and is symbolized by a crossed fork-and-spoon icon..."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_rating

This separate scale is the one I am talking about. It is a large part of the add ons that create the luxury, and thus drive up the prices, does NOT change the quality of the food one bit. But image is everything in many cases.

Archived