The best restaurant in Bangkok is??

A 'genuine" find....perhaps not the best restaurant in Bkk...but a perfect place for an "intimite" dinner (or just a damn fine meal!!)

Antonio's in the sub Soi off 31 that leads to 23.

Small, maybe 10 tables (in a two story layout)

Presentation is excellent, staff attentive and the food exceptional.

Tony (Antonio) is an Oz born Italian and is a fine host....He will make suggestions, recommendations or simply go into the kitcken and create something on the spot to your liking.

I have never tried the place Stick suggested, so have no basis for comparison of the food, but can certainly give this place a definite Dum Cnut "Nod of approval"

My main was a simple home made Penne with Genuine home made Italian Sausage in a Pink Sauce.....

Simple......but sensational!!

A good wine list and a choice of 20 y.o. grappas, together with a great home made Limoncello helped sooth away the worries of the world.

Not inexpensive, but then again far from outrageous.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not inexpensive, but then again far from outrageous.

Spit it out! How much did it cost?

:soapbox: When one give reviews please be specific on the costs. Don't use relative terms like not expensive. It tells one nothing because everyone has a different definition!

Father T has been raving about that place. I think it is the old Sam Remo pizza/pasta joint (my old fav before Basilico and was better, but crap location). If you are coming down the green route from soi 33, is it about 100M on the right after you make the right turn past Euro Inn? I can post a map if that doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Or is is the one across the street from the primary school and near the big seafood place?

Cheers,

SD

Spit it out! How much did it cost?

:soapbox: When one give reviews please be specific on the costs. Don't use relative terms like not expensive. It tells one nothing because everyone has a different definition!

Can't do that on this occasion, cos I did not look at a menu AND I did not pay the bill.

At a "guess" I would think you would be looking at 4-5k/person with wine (then again when Tiger and I "entertain" the wine bill alone can exceed this figure!!)

Not the type of place for someone looking for an....All you can stuff down your throat for 89Bt.....experience

Cheers DS

Tiger,

You got it first up.

Approx 100mtrs on right after you turn out of 31.

Small place with mezzanine level.

Have to agree with father T.......exceptional dining experience..... Put it in your diary for next time our schedules cross in Bkk.

Dress, smart casual.

Miss P. & the future ex Mrs. Tiger will love it for sure!!!

As a side line Antonio assurred me that I have not had a steak in Bkk that will match his!....Big claim, but after everything else!!!!

NO, Antonio is NOT at former San Remo's place.

it is further down the green route, at the second place you describe; across the primary school and beside the large seafood place (called Silom Village).

San Remo's place features (after several unsuccessful ventures) a restaurant called Alex.

Antonio is decent italian food, good middle class, better than most of the italian restaurants in Sukhumvit's tourist ghetto between Nana and Asoke. but it is not among the 5 best in town. however Antonio is by far the best english speaking Italian (Aussie) i have ever met!

l'Opera by the way has gone downhill after owner changed. i am not going there anymore. Far better is La Villa (Thonglor) run by Roberto, a former employee at l'Opera

now we could start to argue, whether Aussie-Italian or American-Italian (i mean the food!) is still genuine. probably not! One of my former GF was Italian (she is a big mama now, but was a beauty back then), so i am a bit picky on italian food!

and my favourites in Bangkok are: Rossini, Biscotti, Gianni's, Angelini, Zanotti, Beccofino and La Villa

Archived