How dumb are Thais?

thalenoi

If I would have made a topic "How practical are Thais?" you would have inmplied I meant all Thais? :angel:

I would have...because that is how to interpret that bit of the English language. But if you want to gracefully back away from this, I'll let you claim language ignorance and leave it at that.

Orangutan: You'd be surprised at those who I *know* read this board on a semi-regular basis (a couple do as part of their job description). And Thai Visa, cuz they are the two biggest boards out there by far. Up to you if you believe it or not. I really don't care.

Ya, I consider this subject insulting, especially considering the my #1 daughter (who's gee, half Thai) has been accepted at University of Michigan, Stanford and University of Miami (hmmm, all three of the schools she applied to) in pre-med! On her own merit, no affirmative action needed.

SD

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The irony is many of my THAI students are highly critical of their own education system. They are well aware of its shortcomings.

True... but education in the west also has many shortcomings. Not sure about the government systems in other places, but in Australia its really bad. Mainly due to lack of teachers. (And the fact you aren't allowed to discipline kids anymore without receiving a law-suit!) :(

Funny how every Thai you holdout as a counter example were educated outside of Thailand! :neener:

And that is the point.

It is not the fact that Thai's are stupid per se, but it is the Thai education system that is failing them.

The only families that can afford to send their children overseas are the upper echelons of society, conversely by the next generation it will be todays overseas educated Thai's who will be the ones who can afford to send their children overseas, restricted education is how they maintain control.

I don't agree with with you completely Mekong or rather with your formulation, Thailand has a big and rich middle class which can afford to send their children to Australia for education.

Actually hi so's with uni education in Thailand (not all go to the US) - even Chula - can't speak english better than a middle class girl with high school from Australia.

>The only families that can afford to send their children overseas are the upper echelons of society,

Its fairly clear we largely have the same view point, but I don't really agree with this. There are large numbers of scholarships nowadays for Thais to study to high level (up to PhD) both here and overseas.

The one student one tambon project for a start which gives something like 700 overseas scholarships per year (although, to note I have disagreements with this program as well - I would prefer to see that money invested in up grading education *here*, but thats by the way). There are numerous other scholarship schemes as well, then give students from limited income families a chance at high level education (again both here and overseas). These, by and large, do not go to children of the rich and they are 'performace" linked in a way.

A year or so ago, I remember there were 40 overseas scholarships to study nanotechnology at Master/PhD level.

As I said earlier in the thread, things *are* changing. Slowly to be sure, but they are changing. Thailand can, to be honest no longer rely on a poorly educated "mass" of brute strength. Even agricultural exports, which make a large part of the Thai economy, require more than brute labour to keep competitive. It *needs* technologists for all aspects (breeding, quality control etc etc etc) and those are being produced - and not from the sons and the daughters of the rich who are usually too lazy to get the required education, but from the ranks of the middle and "lower" (working?) classes.

-j-

Archived