How dumb are Thais?

thalenoi

I guess everybody know Thai people who have some real impressive qualities and others who are dumb as a f***. The same I can say for very German, American etc... The girlfriend of my best mate is just a receptionist at Marriott but her English is more sophisticated than the most english people! I also know a Thai girl who would burned herself if I hadn't told her that an electric stove doesn't need to be lit with fire (not kidding)

The thread might have an offensive title and I know thalenoi is none of these guys who is posting here to provoke or to make trouble, maybe you try not to misunderstand him on purpose and be fair to each other, which is also a chance to communicate in a more sophisticated way.

Put the AVERAGE thai person on display and leave the top smart people and the dumbest people out of the discussion, what you will see are very simple people, not very well educated some of them are hard working and others do literally nothing. Just like in every other country.

I don't really care if Thais are less smart or more smart, If you allow me to mention one little example then I am glad you are listening. Have a look on the food vendors on walking street. A street packed with thousands of drunken tourists who get hungry during the night! What is it the vendors offer on their little BBQ stands? Raw meat Skewers which are exposed to the heat for 12+ hours, many farangs can't handle them and they would overpay every vendor for a burger, hot dog or a prezel, maybe even a curry wurst. Instead they are selling stuff the farangs aren't used to, the girls are their best customers which are the ones who have less money. One lady had the idea to sell Döner Kebab (discussed in another thread) and she walks home with 30k revenue per day. That is smart and she has no special education. If thais wouldn't be so lazy and simple minded they would have looked up what farangs like, would have learned to cook it and would sell it and get freaking rich. Beeing smart and beeing dumb has nothing to do with your education level, it just means you can learn stuff from a book, the way you manage your life and what you pull out of it shows how really smart you are.

my 2 cents

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only families that can afford to send their children overseas are the upper echelons of society.

Not entirly true. Some families borrow heavily to send their children overseas to study. Once here the student often works 2 jobs and live very simple lives and send the money back home to pay the debt off quickly.

While I think the title of this thread is, for lack of a better word, dumb, is it really so bad if we have one thread dedicated to the stupid things Thais do -- since most of the rest are dedicated to the stupid things farang do?! (See especially Relationships, Nightlife, Board Bar, Legal, etc).

YimSiam

PS. With a national average IQ of 89, how do they even know how to dress themselves in the morning, or tie their shoes?! I guess color-coding helps... and slip-on shoes.

While I think the title of this thread is, for lack of a better word, dumb, is it really so bad if we have one thread dedicated to the stupid things Thais do -- since most of the rest are dedicated to the stupid things farang do?! (See especially Relationships, Nightlife, Board Bar, Legal, etc).

:rotfl::beer: :grin: :thumbup:

I guess FREE is pronounced the same in Engkish as it is in Thai.

One day I wrote FREE in Thai and showed a Thai person what I wrote. I pronounced the word out loud and looked to them for a reaction.

The Thai person looked at me and asked me if I knew what it meant.

I said "YES!". It means "Do not pay!"

The Thai person was amazed that I knew that.

I guess FREE is pronounced the same in Engkish as it is in Thai.

One day I wrote FREE in Thai and showed a Thai person what I wrote. I pronounced the word out loud and looked to them for a reaction.

The Thai person looked at me and asked me if I knew what it meant.

I said "YES!". It means "Do not pay!"

The Thai person was amazed that I knew that.

haha, oh, c'mon, you don't mean to say that's another evidence of thai dumbness, do you? thai is rife with loanwords from english, and most thais are not aware where the words come from...no more than your average english speaker is aware of the french origin of many english words, not to mention funky things like cantonese loanwords and even grammar borrowings from cantonese in english ("long time no see", etc.).

that said, here's my anecdote along these lines: a BG I know was telling me (in thai) how she and her farang fiance were looking for houses to buy in thonburi, and that they were thinking of getting a "town howt"...she then paused, and, showing concern for my understanding of her, not quite sure how extensive my thai was, asked me "do you know what a "town howt" is...?

preahko

Ya, I consider this subject insulting, especially considering the my #1 daughter (who's gee, half Thai) has been accepted at University of Michigan, Stanford and University of Miami (hmmm, all three of the schools she applied to) in pre-med! On her own merit, no affirmative action needed.

SD

How do you KNOW it was not in part due to affirmative action? A female student from a 3rd world country certainly fits Unis ideas of diversity. The Uni won't tell you if affirmative action was in the mix. :tophat:

If I would have made a topic "How practical are Thais?" you would have inmplied I meant all Thais? :angel:

I would have...because that is how to interpret that bit of the English language. But if you want to gracefully back away from this' date=' I'll let you claim language ignorance and leave it at that.

(snip)

Ya, I consider this subject insulting, (snip)

SD[/quote']

Language ignorance and gracefully backing away eh???

Let me first advise some posters here to improve their reading skills and their multicultural understanding: I asked a question, subsequently I don't know the answers. Anyone who claims I made a statement similar to "All Thais are dumb" is dumb himself.

Secondly please consult your "Logic 101" manual page 5 (because page 3 contains the index) and find out why "All thais are dumb" is an invalid statement. Any one making such statement therefore is dumber than possibly any thai I have ever met.

Thirdly, I supposed wrongly that the level of erudition of MOST (or should it be SOME or is only a FEW) posters on this board is such that they would naturally grasp the nature of the topic being centered on cultural understanding/misunderstandings

And lastly, I find the reaction of a few posters here way out line.

No, one more sentence: The dumbest people I have met were amongst the highest educated, not the uneducated poor rice farmers I usually frequent, They have more common sense than "SOME" highly educated posters on this board

Thalenoi

Archived